• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Protective Padding Outside the Helmet

What the hell is going on with all the players wearing an extra layer of protective padding on the outside of their helmets? Does this only happen during Spring Practice? I don't see it in practice during the season. If it's so important, why don't they wear it all the time during games? Does anyone know what this is all about? Sheesh. They already have the same thing inside the helmets. I don't understand. It seems like overkill.

What the hell is going on with all the players wearing an extra layer of protective padding on the outside of their helmets? Does this only happen during Spring Practice? I don't see it in practice during the season. If it's so important, why don't they wear it all the time during games? Does anyone know what this is all about? Sheesh. They already have the same thing inside the helmets. I don't understand. It seems like overkill.

They've been proven to help drive down the number of concussions, as they reduce impacts of hits. As to why they don't wear them in-season, I'm not sure. Potentially to get used to the types of impacts they'll have during games?

I was thinking the same thing. If they're effective in reducing head injuries, why aren't they used all season long?

1711577168256.png

This has been standard practice in spring and fall practices. Pretty typical nowadays.

I’m not sure how outside padding on a helmet helps your brain from sloshing around inside your skull but I bet it cuts down on the number of broken fingers and other injuries/punishment delivered to the defender

Last edited:

It works like a crumple zone in a car. Slows down deceleration of the head (and thus lessens the impact on the brain).

Which begs the question, why have the hard shell in the first place?

The problem is, they're making the helmets bigger (in an attempt to provide more cushion) and making shoulder pads smaller (because Nike, apparently). Which is making it so that head-to-head contact is almost inevitable. They need to go back to the huge shoulder pads and actually use them for tackling. That would reduce head injuries.

It works like a crumple zone in a car. Slows down deceleration of the head (and thus lessens the impact on the brain).

The problem is, they're making the helmets bigger (in an attempt to provide more cushion) and making shoulder pads smaller (because Nike, apparently). Which is making it so that head-to-head contact is almost inevitable. They need to go back to the huge shoulder pads and actually use them for tackling. That would reduce head injuries.
The idea of going back to larger shoulder pads is very interesting.

Need to go back to the leather helmets too :Rolf:

But in all seriousness, you aren't wrong. It isn't that concussions didn't happen way back when, but players are using their bodies as a weapon. I remember playing tackle football in the yard as a kid. You know one thing that we never had happen, head to head contact. When you put the helmet on, people suddenly feel like they can use it as a battering ram. With all the rule changes around tackling, concussions, safety, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually move to flag football.

Not saying if that is a good or a bad thing, just saying that is the direction things are moving.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back