• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Prime being Prime, more player depart

You people will believe anything that is anti-CU or paints the program in a bad light. LMAO.

The truth is Lil' Wayne invited Shedeur to perform right before the show and his dad didn't even know he was going to go on stage and perform.

I'm sure you also believe that the roster is trash and didn't drastically improve through the portal, especially on the O-Line.
That's fine. The truth will be known on September 7th.
So do you believe Neon’s roster building methodology is working? Do you think he’s in it for the long haul?

So do you believe Neon’s roster building methodology is working? Do you think he’s in it for the long haul?
One thing, in the pros guys mostly don't get a lot better. Not so at the college level. On paper building a team this way appears much better than it really is.

One thing, in the pros guys mostly don't get a lot better. Not so at the college level. On paper building a team this way appears much better than it really is.
I am sure there is much more development at the college level. Even the guys at the premier universities (Alabama, Michigan …) go through that but to say there isn’t development at CU is probably a misnomer too.

I would suggest roster turnover such as they have at CU is not a methodology that’s proven to win yet. Can Neon do that?

I’m not sure and I really wonder what happens when Shadeur leaves.

Last edited:
I am sure there is much more development at the college level. Even the guys at the premier universities (Alabama, Michigan …) go through that but to say there isn’t development at CU is probably a misnomer too.

I would suggest roster turnover such as they have at CU is not a methodology that’s proven to win yet. Can Neon do that?

I’m not sure and I really wonder what happens when Shadeur leaves.

To your last sentence, I believe his dad follows.

I suspect he’s going to have another sub .500 bowl less season with Travis Hunter, Shooter and…hell…I forgot his name….oh, yeah, Shilo.

What’s the draw to come back for another roster flip without his sons and the best player on their roster?

To your last sentence, I believe his dad follows.

I suspect he’s going to have another sub .500 bowl less season with Travis Hunter, Shooter and…hell…I forgot his name….oh, yeah, Shilo.

What’s the draw to come back for another roster flip without his sons and the best player on their roster?
Yep, tough draw at that point, and many of these transfers are older guys as well.
They have 3 guys in their recruiting class so far this year, only 13 last year. It'll take two years at this pace to recruit an entire team, and thats if everyone stays and stay healthy. With two or so backups.
I just watched some good stuff from CC at S&C where he talked about the freshmen vs the rest of the guys and how he split it up.

Its not even worth the staffs time to do it this way there. Expectations from the top and knowing them, and then knowing those combinations of player talent in your rooms is something that may not exist as well. If you have standards the record will support them.

Re-reading the article, it sounds like this is something that happened a while ago, not something that is new. So I'm guessing that the people who left are people who entered the transfer portal several weeks ago. This is more of an explanation of why people left rather than news of people now leaving.
Li'l Wayne was in Denver May 7. While around 60 CU players entered the portal in 2024, according to on3.com only 12 have left since that concert date. While it's possible "Daddy ball" was in play, it doesn't seem likely, IMO.

Re-reading the article, it sounds like this is something that happened a while ago, not something that is new. So I'm guessing that the people who left are people who entered the transfer portal several weeks ago. This is more of an explanation of why people left rather than news of people now leaving.
You're right, these departures were from a while ago, after their Spring game. Given their strategy they were going to have large departures after Spring practice ended, like lots of teams. Saying it was due to Shedeur is a huge stretch.

I like Rhule's strategy way better than Deion's high turnover one, but in a way this article is simply double counting stuff that's already been heavily commented on.

I hate to defend CU, but there are certain low quality online outfits that write non-newsworthy stories to trash them (and others to pointlessly praise them), just to - wait for it - get clicks. It's an all too familiar malady of our times.

Last edited:
My gut reaction after reading that article is that there is a lot of speculation and very little substance. Seemed more like a message board rumor post than anything else. I'm not a Deion fan but it seems rather unlikely to me.
Always view unnecessarily anonymous sourcing with healthy skepticism. Liars and agenda pushers hide behind anonymity. Bloggers such as this guy aren't held to the same standards as professional journalists. They pass along unverified info without attribution. And if the accusations about Neon are legit, whoever made them isn't at Colorado anymore, so there's no reason not for him to be identified. Other than being denounced on CU message boards, it's not like he'd face serious reprisals.

I hate these fanboy and provocateur clickbait sites that've sprung up in the digital age, with unvetted/intentionally provocative/ridiculously biased content by hacks and posers. They occupy a fuzzy middle ground between professional journalism and a message board. Always trying to show they have some unique inside information, or to draw in a target audience, they'll throw anything out there to generate attention for themselves.

As Nebraska fans, we WANT the article to be true. The picture of Neon telling his team they have to go see Shadeur up on stage or they're off the team is a beautiful one to NU fans.

Always view unnecessarily anonymous sourcing with healthy skepticism. Liars and agenda pushers hide behind anonymity. Bloggers such as this guy aren't held to the same standards as professional journalists. They pass along unverified info without attribution. And if the accusations about Neon are legit, whoever made them isn't at Colorado anymore, so there's no reason not for him to be identified. Other than being denounced on CU message boards, it's not like he'd face serious reprisals.

I hate these fanboy and provocateur clickbait sites that've sprung up in the digital age, with unvetted/intentionally provocative/ridiculously biased content by hacks and posers. They occupy a fuzzy middle ground between professional journalism and a message board. Always trying to show they have some unique inside information, or to draw in a target audience, they'll throw anything out there to generate attention for themselves.

As Nebraska fans, we WANT the article to be true. The picture of Neon telling his team they have to go see Shadeur up on stage or they're off the team is a beautiful one to NU fans.
Neons not a great coach but he isn't that bad.
I feel more for the remaining coaches on the staff that have to pick up his slack, juries also out on Sapp as well. Now add in development. The times either taken by the staff or underachieving will occur in college ball. This is not the pros.

Obviously this is Bucky's channel so take it with a grain of salt, but he addresses the concert "issue" with several players and coaches in yesterday's video.

Hey @RuffBuff I was back in town for the Bolder Boulder - good times! What is the overall vibe towards the football program there? The CU fans I talked to there (a very small sample) did not seem very pleased, but during my short time there, I couldn’t get a read on the rest of the town.
I'm encouraged at the progress but as always, I take a wait and see attitude. From 1-11 losing every game by 30+ points, to 4-8 losing 6 games by one score is a big improvement. And the roster turnover this season in all but one or two cases we replaced departing players with better players on paper. This type of methodology has been done with success at the juco level forever. It remains to be seen if this will work here, but the trajectory is looking good. I don't think this way is Deion's long term plan, but to quickly improve the worst roster in cfb takes drastic measures. As talent continues to be upgraded as well as depth, you can recruit and develop high school talent more and more. But with today's portal landscape, unfortunately things have changed. He didn't invent this way, but is trying to use it to his advantage the best he can.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back