• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Prayers for storm victims

In the 1975 twister I was in the National Guard at the time and got called out. I remember driving down 72nd street in a Jeep dodging debris scattered all around. In one neighborhood there was a concrete slab where a smaller brick grade school had once stood and the only thing there was one school desk sitting in the middle of the slab. An hour earlier and it would have been filled with kids.

In the 1975 twister I was in the National Guard at the time and got called out. I remember driving down 72nd street in a Jeep dodging debris scattered all around. In one neighborhood there was a concrete slab where a smaller brick grade school had once stood and the only thing there was one school desk sitting in the middle of the slab. An hour earlier and it would have been filled with kids.
My old man told me stories about that

My old man told me stories about that
If there had been cell phones with cameras back then we'd of had all kinds of pictures of horses racing down the track at Aksarben with the tornado going down 72nd in the background. They took a lot of heat for not stopping the race, but back then there wasn't much in the way of early warning or even finding out what was happening until after it was all over.

Today I sat in my living room and on TV watched the tornado live from Lincoln all the way up towards Omaha through a news person in a car following. And once it go close to Omaha the TV station cameras on all the buildings made it possible to follow it live all the way through town. Quite a change from 1975.

If there had been cell phones with cameras back then we'd of had all kinds of pictures of horses racing down the track at Aksarben with the tornado going down 72nd in the background. They took a lot of heat for not stopping the race, but back then there wasn't much in the way of early warning or even finding out what was happening until after it was all over.

Today I sat in my living room and on TV watched the tornado live from Lincoln all the way up towards Omaha through a news person in a car following. And once it go close to Omaha the TV station cameras on all the buildings made it possible to follow it live all the way through town. Quite a change from 1975.
I can imagine. I wasn't alive in 75' but I've heard stories. Very unfortunate and prayers to people who lost homes, etc

Omaha-tornado-1975.png

My family owned the Millard Bowl then and we were just leaving coming down 144th heading back I80 and Waverly. I remember looking out the back window of the car and seeing the tornado going through. That picture was burned into my memory.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back