• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Portal QB's for the Huskers to consider

If I owned a company and was signing a NIL contract with an athlete it would include some key clauses:
1. Morality Clause - Refund all funds received and no additional funds to be paid
2. You represent my company and the value is in you being at this school for 4 years (waiver if they go pro). If you should leave you would be required to refund 50% of what you have been paid up to the announcement and you will be paid nothing more.
3. I would consider performance related clauses, i.e. you get additional funds if you start a minimum of X games and participate in X plays for the year (some waiver for injuries included)
4. Probably additional ones if I thought about it more than 5 seconds. Also, I'm not sure of any limitations on the contracts imposed by the NCAA, the school, or the government.

Just my two cents....

Can't do any of these, unfortunately. It's all fixed fee agreements.

Any TP QB who would think of coming to DONU will demand 2x his going NIL rate after looking at film of our O-line and finding out the O-line coach has not changed for 2023.......

Is that a requirement of NIL, or is the contract between a company and an individual completely flexible in terms of the payment terms?
It's an NIL requirement. Contracts between organization and player are not allowed to have performance-based terms in it.

The policy appears more rigid in regard “prohibitions related to play for play, impermissible offers and inducements or extra benefits.” There it notes that NIL can’t disguise pay-for-play, such as NIL compensation being contingent on a recruit enrolling at a particular school. A violating school would breach their NCAA membership contract and face repercussions.

As alluded above, the policy also forbids NIL compensation tied to “specific athletic performance or achievement,” such as “financial incentives based on points scored.” While the policy acknowledges that “athlete performance may enhance” an athlete’s “NIL value”, such performance can’t be used as “consideration” (i.e., the bargained for exchange) for “athlete NIL competition. Therefore, college athlete endorsement deals won’t contain incentive clauses tied to touchdown passes or points per game etc.

I certainly empathize with that view, but I don't think it would be legal. The Supreme Court ruled that limiting compensation for athletes violates anti-trust law, which is why we have NIL. Penalizing athletes financially for not sticking with their current teams seems like it would also violate anti-trust law.
The rules need to be tested and by someone with deep pockets. Let some athletes sue and see where the court lands on placing some reasonable restrictions. Might be surprised what happens if any commonsense was injected into the decision. Right now it's a total cluster you know what...... It really can't get any worse then what's going on right now imo.

If I owned a company and was signing a NIL contract with an athlete it would include some key clauses:
1. Morality Clause - Refund all funds received and no additional funds to be paid
2. You represent my company and the value is in you being at this school for 4 years (waiver if they go pro). If you should leave you would be required to refund 50% of what you have been paid up to the announcement and you will be paid nothing more.
3. I would consider performance related clauses, i.e. you get additional funds if you start a minimum of X games and participate in X plays for the year (some waiver for injuries included)
4. Probably additional ones if I thought about it more than 5 seconds. Also, I'm not sure of any limitations on the contracts imposed by the NCAA, the school, or the government.

Just my two cents....
If I owned a company, I wouldn't be signing NIL deals with kids fresh out of high school who hadn't already established themselves as solid college players. Lots of kids on college rosters, a small percentage of which play meaningful snaps, an even smaller percentage who are stars.

I also wouldn't be signing 4+ year deals with college kids. Too much uncertainty between injuries, transfers, coaching changes, etc.

If you are looking at it from a purely business perspective, NIL deals could be a good thing for companies, but there is a certain amount of risk you take on by doing them. If you are looking at it purely from a recruiting perspective, NIL deals should be lucrative and help fill the bank accounts of athletes. What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

I certainly empathize with that view, but I don't think it would be legal. The Supreme Court ruled that limiting compensation for athletes violates anti-trust law, which is why we have NIL. Penalizing athletes financially for not sticking with their current teams seems like it would also violate anti-trust law.
Won't ever happen. The NCAA isn't touching NIL stuff with a 30 foot pole. They are afraid that if they start legislating it they will get sued for doing the wrong thing or will seem complicit in paying athletes, which will open up an entirely different can of worms for them. Right now with NIL, the NCAA's stance appears to be that these athletes are making money, but they aren't being paid by our member institutions, so we don't deal with any of that. Until college sports have a governing body that collectively bargain rules relating to anti-tampering and such (similar to the pro leagues), this is going to remain an issue.

If I owned a company, I wouldn't be signing NIL deals with kids fresh out of high school who hadn't already established themselves as solid college players. Lots of kids on college rosters, a small percentage of which play meaningful snaps, an even smaller percentage who are stars.

I also wouldn't be signing 4+ year deals with college kids. Too much uncertainty between injuries, transfers, coaching changes, etc.

If you are looking at it from a purely business perspective, NIL deals could be a good thing for companies, but there is a certain amount of risk you take on by doing them. If you are looking at it purely from a recruiting perspective, NIL deals should be lucrative and help fill the bank accounts of athletes. What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.
I am afraid you are being naive.

Companies all over the landscape are contributing to NIL conglomerates for each university who then setup NIL deals for incoming freshman based on how much that school really wants each recruit.

Think Southwest conference in the 1960's and car dealerships :): some get Corvairs, some get Camaros and some get Corvettes :).

Companies contribute because:
-marketing: showing school support
-marketing: athlete actually helps promote business and improve bottom line
-Ego: I have more money than God and I am buying myself the starting QB.

I am afraid you are being naive.

Companies all over the landscape are contributing to NIL conglomerates for each university who then setup NIL deals for incoming freshman based on how much that school really wants each recruit.

Think Southwest conference in the 1960's and car dealerships :): some get Corvairs, some get Camaros and some get Corvettes :).

Companies contribute because:
-marketing: showing school support
-marketing: athlete actually helps promote business and improve bottom line
I'm not saying these things aren't happening (or haven't been happening for a long time). My point is that if you view it strictly through the lens of "Is this a good business practice?" the answer is generally no.

Take your car dealership example, because this has been happening for well longer than NIL has existed: What does the car dealership get out of providing free cars for recruits/athletes? When it was all done under the table, they got virtually nothing out of it. The only benefit is for the happiness of those who are a fan of that team that now has a recruit. For years, that has been the model in college athletics. Boosters pour money into college athletics (legally or under the table) for the opportunity to experience the joy that comes with having a good team. That isn't good for their bottom lines. The return on investment isn't financial, but they are okay with that because they are willing to write it off and accept the joy that comes with winning instead.

NIL is different than the bags of money and free cars of the 60s and 70s. It can be financially positive for companies (as you mention with marketing), but not if they are doing it in the manner that some schools are, or as many people suggest it should be on message boards like this. ["Let's go buy a 5-star QB" mentality]

You are right in what you detail as the reasons for companies contributing money; but if it was broken into a pie chart, the ego slice of that pie would be much larger than the other two. If you are investing heavily in unproven, 17-21 year olds, the ROI has a lot more to do with the chance of seeing your team potentially succeed and a lot less to do with your company's bottom line.

Last edited:
Aurora CO
Pal, Nebraska needs to give up all recruiting in Colorado, all players there are now property of Dion, and they will need to get his approval to leave Boulder. Once a release is granted by Dion ,then all other teams are allowed to travel there.

I'd bet money that's the primary reason for forking over a lot of cash to kids that haven't even played a single down. Does Brice Young really help Dr Pepper sell MILLIONS more in soft drink sales? I seriously doubt that true especially when we have government agencies SCREAMING how bad sugary drinks are for kids. There honestly needs to be some reasonable LEGAL rules established before this entire fiasco comes crashing down imo. It's great for a handful of select athletes but I suspect the vast majority of players hardly sniff any substantial NIL money.

Last edited:

I'd bet money that's the primary reason for forking over a lot of cash to kids that haven't even played a single down. Does Brice Young really help Dr Pepper sell MILLIONS more in soft drink sales? I seriously doubt that true especially when we have government agencies SCREAMING how bad sugary drinks are for kids. There honestly needs to be some reasonable LEGAL rules established before this entire fiasco comes crashing down imo. It's great for a handful of select athletes but I suspect the vast majority of players hardly sniff any substantial NIL money.
cthusker
Although I agree with you in principle, there is little chance that regulation of the money is possible as it would fall afoul of restraint of trade laws.

1670552147018.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back