• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Playing THE Ohio State a second time

We couldn't keep it close against Illinois.

The problem is in such a crazy year as this....nobody knows what “normal” really is. Was Illinois an anomaly?....or our true state.

so many teams playing with WILD inconsistency:
Wiscy...good against Illinois.....horrible against Northwestern
Iowa
MSU
Rutgers
Illinois
Even Indiana

about the only real, semi consistency has come from OSU

And who knows what PSU is right now

and Michigan?

and maybe Northwestern who is consistently just mundane enough to let the other team make mistakes...then they capitalize and win by a TD or FG

I think it’s any given day anyone can beat anyone and it’s much more pronounced this year than any other in recent memory. You can’t really predict this year.

That can happen in any week. We can't hide like a bunch of douches. PLAY FOOTBALL.
If Husker fans think we get negative press now have us try and weasel out of playing OSU. It would be a stain forever on the Nebraska honor and program. Talk about recruits rethinking wanting to play in Lincoln? If the game is offered we take it and hope for a football miracle. Lets remember this......

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

They are going to roast Nebraska if they play and get blown out. they are going to roast Nebraska no matter what. Forget about looking for their approval and think about what is best for this team. They have already proven they are not in the same league as OSU. Getting crushed by them again serves no purpose.

I don’t care about media “approval.” I care that Nebraska, who “just wants to play,” stands by their word and actually plays. No matter who it’s against.

What message does that send to the team that we ducked it because they’ll just get “crushed” again?

If we don’t want another swing at the champ, I’m not sure what’s become of us. We need to toughen up.

I don’t care about media “approval.” I care that Nebraska, who “just wants to play,” stands by their word and actually plays. No matter who it’s against.

What message does that send to the team that we ducked it because they’ll just get “crushed” again?

If we don’t want another swing at the champ, I’m not sure what’s become of us. We need to toughen up.

This isn't about whether they will or won't. If they are offered the game, they will take it. It is about whether it will help Nebraska or not. Spoiler alert, it won't.

If Husker fans think we get negative press now have us try and weasel out of playing OSU. It would be a stain forever on the Nebraska honor and program. Talk about recruits rethinking wanting to play in Lincoln? If the game is offered we take it and hope for a football miracle. Lets remember this......

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

There's a huge difference between not wanting to play them, and turning down the opportunity. We wouldn't turn down the invite for the reasons you and others mentioned. That would be beyond a bad look.

There's a huge difference between not wanting to play them, and turning down the opportunity. We wouldn't turn down the invite for the reasons you and others mentioned. That would be beyond a bad look.
Perhaps that's true but I honestly believe our team would like to get another shot at playing a team that beat them this season. Lets remember things didn't go off the rails until a couple of bad plays right before half time. Not suggesting we would have won but that game could have been a lot closer then the final score. It certainly beats not playing at all when our players worked so hard to make this season happen.

The problem is in such a crazy year as this....nobody knows what “normal” really is. Was Illinois an anomaly?....or our true state.

so many teams playing with WILD inconsistency:
Wiscy...good against Illinois.....horrible against Northwestern
Iowa
MSU
Rutgers
Illinois
Even Indiana

about the only real, semi consistency has come from OSU

And who knows what PSU is right now

and Michigan?

and maybe Northwestern who is consistently just mundane enough to let the other team make mistakes...then they capitalize and win by a TD or FG

I think it’s any given day anyone can beat anyone and it’s much more pronounced this year than any other in recent memory. You can’t really predict this year.
I think Illinois is an anomaly when you look at it just that game. I wrote a thread about this, Illinois is an anomaly, Delancy leaving not that big of adeal, nor Fleming for that matter. But Illinois matters when you see us at 1-4 and 5-7 last year. Delancy and Fleming matter when we already lost 3 guys from the 2020 class earlier this year.

As one of my bosses once told me, "I don't believe in one offs, I believe in trends." Where is Nebraska trending in attrition and wins/losses?

I think Illinois is an anomaly when you look at it just that game. I wrote a thread about this, Illinois is an anomaly, Delancy leaving not that big of adeal, nor Fleming for that matter. But Illinois matters when you see us at 1-4 and 5-7 last year. Delancy and Fleming matter when we already lost 3 guys from the 2020 class earlier this year.

As one of my bosses once told me, "I don't believe in one offs, I believe in trends." Where is Nebraska trending in attrition and wins/losses?

If you lose some anomalies you damned sure better win some as well. We only seem to be finding the losing end of these anomalies.

I know everyone is focused on wins and losses. And I am too.

But what I would like to really see is:

Some real, distinguishable, consistent improvement that we could hang our hats on in just our overall play:

Eliminating the awful snaps.
O-Line eliminating or drastically reducing the holding and false starts
Consiststanly better pass blocking ......I mean the way the Iowa guy blew past Farniok on the play Martinez fumbled with the game on the line....astounding
One or no turnovers a game
Cause and recover a fumble once in a while
much better punt game
kickoffs....hold the enemy to the 25 or less
When our receivers have the balls in their hands....they catch it and hold onto the ball...pretty simple
Run the ball off tackle at least semi successfully
Actually, (and I know I’m asking a lot) execute a decent screen pass
And play physical Big 10 Style Football every game...not one offs

oh and the coach get his head out of the playbook and make sure he is managing the game far better.

If we start doing that consistently I think the wins will come.....no problem...but even if they don’t, I will feel much more assured that they will come in the future!

Completely agree and that trend line MUST change soon or bigger changes are bound to follow.

Since 1998 (W/L):

trend.PNG

Last edited:

Looks like the Pellini years were pretty damn stable....and good...

3 rd highest of any active D1coach at the time IIRC

And we fired him...go figure....

I mean my wife didn’t like him. And the press hated him.

but not sure if that was a good enough reason to can the guy....sigh

If the conference does try to schedule this, it will be interesting to see who gets to be the home team. Fairness dictates it should be Nebraska since the first game was in Columbus. But I won't be holding my breath.

If the Huskers are given the opportunity to play Ohio St for a second time and turn it down, turn in the keys to the program. IT would be hypocritical against EVERYTHING they have said and been trying to do.

Couldnt be more right about this.... its about practice, its about improvement, its about development of players. Ohio St isnt really bigger or stronger or even but marginally faster than us. They are just executing at a much higher level, and their players have sustained that level for a long time. The good habits are just reactions now, they dont have to read... think... react, it just happens. The smooth-ness of that efficiency is the difference in the teams. The nebr players are not physically afraid of OSU, they are not gonna get run over, but like game 1, they may get out executed by a wide margin.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back