• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Penn State WILL REMOVE The JoePa Statue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of statues of people anyway, as there's almost a deification that happens when someone is immortalized in bronze or marble. I get REALLY uncomfortable when the statue is of someone whose primary accomplishment is to have played or coached a sport exceptionally well. Don't get me wrong--I'm a HUGE sports fan, but I'm not sure I even like the idea of sports figures (literally) being put up on a pedestal in this way.

MyBraska

Yeah...This one!

The man is a true legend, but JoPa and Tom were almost identical in the public's perception not too long ago. Do-righters that had their priorities straight. Very few people really know the behind the scene actions that go on.

Returning LP right before the bowl game isn't a great example, and we probably didn't even need him in that national title game, but Tom has made some decisions that were a little misguided in my opinion. Maybe some of the older posters on this board can think of other instances earlier in TO's career that more accurately shows what I'm trying to say. And my point is that it's really hard to make the correct decision 100% of the time when it would be so easy to just make the other decision.

Yes, unfortunately Christian Peter allegedly raped a female student. But there was some VERY strong evidence and I think a settlement. He was, obviously, allowed to play.

I, unfortunately, know of an instance where a person was fired in TO's organization to help kids. She was fired because her religion thought that homosexuality is an error of behavior. But the religion says hate the sin, but love the sinner and teaches not to any actions against homosexuals, but the act of homosexuality is wrong. I don't want to get in any discussion of the correctness of this at all, so don't attack me for her position.

I do know that she did not preach this at work as her church teaches tolerance, but just can't condone this. They believe that one should practice self control in all relationships outside of marriage. I have had some long discussions with her about this.

Anyway, she was fired because of her religion even though it's a Constitutional right. I personally think that one should be allowed to practice freedom of religion. Firing her was, I believe, wrong, no matter what her religion is. She was not prosteliting on the the job, according to her at least. If homosexuals have a right to practice their activities, which I believe they should have that (ight (if they don't bother me or my family with it), then she should have the right to believe that activity is wrong, as long as it is not harmful to people and without having discriminating actions against homosexuals. I do not equate belief in certain behaviors and self control, necessarily, with discrimination, depending upon the presence or absence of actions against a person.

At any rate, I don't believe her firing from TO's organization was right for religion, which was more discriminatory than anything she did. I really did not wish to get in a discussion about the political correctness of homosexuality. That is up to individuals to decide.

Very very Strong accusation here. Proof?

I wasn't trying to make a joke or make fun of a horrendous chain of events. To everyone who took my caption that way and was offended by it, I apologize.

The intent behind my caption was to try to portray Paterno as someone who acted in an insensitive, uncaring, cavalier and sick manner. In other words, Paterno didn't really care about the kids. In his mind (according to the caption) it was just Big Jerr' horsin' around as far as he was concerned.

Nice we can make fun of the abused now. I find zero, none notta, zip humor in what happens when children are abused.

Oh did you hear the one when the mother and father raped their 12 year old little girl and kept he locked up in a dog cage...thats a knee slapper

Very very Strong accusation here. Proof?

There is a former female NU student I saw interviewed on a national news program several years ago. She now lives in Colorado, at least at that time she was interviewed. She started a national organization for students who were victims of date rape. She had a very detailed story about being raped by Christian Peter while at NU. A couple of years ago, Christian Peter alluded to a serious mistake he made when he was younger as a student and stated he had matured since then and he felt really bad about it.

My daughter was pretty good friends with the lady that was fired. I believed her as we discussed it as she was a very credible personality, and I knew she had worked at TO's organization previously and she was looking for another job.

Last edited:

I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of statues of people anyway, as there's almost a deification that happens when someone is immortalized in bronze or marble. I get REALLY uncomfortable when the statue is of someone whose primary accomplishment is to have played or coached a sport exceptionally well. Don't get me wrong--I'm a HUGE sports fan, but I'm not sure I even like the idea of sports figures (literally) being put up on a pedestal in this way.

I completely agree

It is kind of creepy that people practically worship people like Paterno, Osborne, Lombardi, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back