• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Penn State 11 recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
How does Penn State have 11 recruits for the class of 2014 and Nebraska sits with 3 at this point? Bill O'Brien in addition to being a very good coach must be a whale of a recruiter.Is it his NFL ties?

He is a great recruiter and the kids who sign with him want to be at Penn State.

Proximity to talent. Only 2/11 are out of area (NC and FL). One from MI (conference). Rest are PA, MD, DE, and VA...all border states or close to it.

We have one in-state and one legacy out of our 3. It's not rocket science.

Proximity to talent. Only 2/11 are out of area (NC and FL). One from MI (conference). Rest are PA, MD, DE, and VA...all border states or close to it.

We have one in-state and one legacy out of our 3. It's not rocket science.

All true. However, playing for Penn State now is not an easy sell. Even for the regional kids.

They don't seem to be slowing down as far as selling the program....three 4-star recruits including their class QB (from Delaware)....and two WRs (FL & NC).....in those 11 commits...

In my opinion O'Brien is selling them on getting them to the 'show' and for a lot of kids that is #1....more power to him....

So I tend to agree with FLAS on this one...

All true. However, playing for Penn State now is not an easy sell. Even for the regional kids.

As for Nebraska....I'll say like I did last year we are fine...what matters is who signs on NSD not who we have or don't have on June 9.....

As for Nebraska....I'll say like I did last year we are fine...what matters is who signs on NSD not who we have or don't have on June 9.....

Agreed. That's why I never grasp the excitement of verbals. And people who say "he's N," when he cleary is not. Not yet at least. As you say, verbals don't matter. Well put.

I'm more curious to see how their walk-on program is coming along. They'll need those guys down the stretch.

How does Penn State have 11 recruits for the class of 2014 and Nebraska sits with 3 at this point? Bill O'Brien in addition to being a very good coach must be a whale of a recruiter.Is it his NFL ties?

Yes, most of the talent PSU takes in has always been from a very limited recruiting area encompassing PA, MD, NJ, NY, DE, and Northern VA. All within 250 miles from State College. Very rich demographic.

This 2014 class is nowhere close to the sort of classes PSU was landing before the scandal.

2014 - 3-4*, 7-3* and only four more can be signed.

2010: 12 - 4*, 5 - 3*
Total: 17 - 4* and 17 - 3* in two years.
2009: 7 - 4* and 12 - 3*

2011, 5 - 4*, 8 - 3*, 3 - 2*. 2012, 1 - 4*, 11 - 3*, 6 - 2*. 2013, 1 - 5*, 3 - 4*, 8 - 3*, 5 - 2*.

Total: 10 - 4*+ and 25 - 3*, with 14 - 2*.

I realize if we measure this against Nebraska's classes it looks pretty good, but the fact remains that these classes are not as good as PSU is used to, and with a limit of 15 per year, a lot of talent that might otherwise be in State College is playing somewhere else.

No expert by any means but you have to wonder if the fact they have so few scholarships to give this year, forces recruits to decide fast for fear of being left out of a scholarship. Not saying O'Brien isn't a good recruiter, just that this may be impacting early acceptances.

Yes, most of the talent PSU takes in has always been from a very limited recruiting area encompassing PA, MD, NJ, NY, DE, and Northern VA. All within 250 miles from State College. Very rich demographic.

This 2014 class is nowhere close to the sort of classes PSU was landing before the scandal.

2011, 5 - 4*, 8 - 3*, 3 - 2*. 2012, 1 - 4*, 11 - 3*, 6 - 2*. 2013, 1 - 5*, 3 - 4*, 8 - 3*, 5 - 2*.

I realize if we measure this against Nebraska's classes it looks pretty good, but the fact remains that these classes are not as good as PSU is used to, and with a limit of 15 per year, a lot of talent that might otherwise be in State College is playing somewhere else.

Actually, the ratios are probably pretty similar. Just the overall numbers are obviously down with the limits. Regardless, Penn State has a better coaching staff now than they've had in many years -- so that makes up for quite a bit.

No expert by any means but you have to wonder if the fact they have so few scholarships to give this year, forces recruits to decide fast for fear of being left out of a scholarship. Not saying O'Brien isn't a good recruiter, just that this may be impacting early acceptances.

It's a good point.........he who hesitates may lose out.

Actually, the ratios are probably pretty similar. Just the overall numbers are obviously down with the limits. Regardless, Penn State has a better coaching staff now than they've had in many years -- so that makes up for quite a bit.

17 four stars in two years compared to 10 in three years? No the ratios are not the same. That's a difference of about five per year.

Also, note the increasing number of two stars. Where they might have taken one or none in the past, now they're averaging five.

I'm sure O'Brien is a good recruiter, but the sanctions are impacting more than just the total numbers.

Great point. He has more leverage for early commits.

If they are selling the "get you to the next level", the staff won't last long. It is essentially what our previous coach was doing. It brings in talent, but they aren't focused on team goals. Players aren't bothered by a loss, as long as they had a good game personally. Similar to what happened at Tejas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back