• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pelini out

After the NU gig, I though the YSU head job was perfect for Bo. Recruiting wasn't has major, could do more hands on coaching, and less spotlight than a major program. I could see him doing that, or even at a small Bowl Subdivision coach, think Bowling Green or Kent State. What I truly hope he does though; I hope he coaches high school. He doesn't need the money, per say, and could impact players when they are truly start becoming men.

Carl got hired as HC at their HS alma mater Cardinal Mooney back on July 27. I would not at all be surprised if Bo moves back to Youngstown and spends 2021 coaching HS alongside his brother. He's not going back to YSU because they fired him after he went 6-6 in his final year. They only appeared in the FCS playoffs once during is tenure as HC. I was surprised at that. Obviously I don't pay that much attention to YSU football, but it seemed like he did better than he actually did there.

Last edited:

I'll be honest, I thought he'd do well at LSU.

I really didn't do a deep dive on personnel to see if they had what makes his defense work, but really didn't expect 'Daico' bad.

Now I'm wondering how much of his previous success is really due to Carl's work.

An interesting question. Stats don't necessarily tell the whole story of course, but the total D stat seems to suggest that Bo's much better off when he's coaching with his brother.

After Carl left to take the HC gig at FAU in December 2011, Nebraska finished 59th in team D in 2012, 50th in 2013 and 60th in 2014. Carl served as Bo's DC/LB coach at YSU from 2015-2017. In 2015 the YSU defense finished #7 in FCS in total D, #14 in 2016, #20 in 2017. They slumped to #40 after Carl left for Bowling Green. He came back to YSU as DC in 2019 and YSU finished the year #23 in total D.

Last edited:
Man how much did this guy make to NOT be your coach. Millions and millions. Guess it’s better to be lucky than good lol
Rumored to be his next gig (by me). After seeing many ads on how to get out of Timeshares...Bo's next job will be as an advisor to colleges where they pay him to "get out of paying former coach's salaries).

he'll be fine. I like the thoughts about Ohio. Can't see him coaching with pal's Belichek or Carroll

An interesting question. Stats don't necessarily tell the whole story of course, but the total D stat seems to suggest that Bo's much better off when he's coaching with his brother.

After Carl left to take the HC gig at FAU in December 2011, Nebraska finished 59th in team D in 2012, 50th in 2013 and 60th in 2014. Carl served as Bo's DC/LB coach at YSU from 2015-2017. In 2015 the YSU defense finished #7 in FCS in total D, #14 in 2016, #20 in 2017. They slumped to #40 after Carl left for Bowling Green. He came back to YSU as DC in 2019 and YSU finished the year #23 in total D.

The other variable is of course, talent. Carl leaving after 2011 also coincides with a lot of the Callahan era holdover talent leaving Nebraska. When Bo is left to create his own collection of talent, his results don't look as good. That's not to say he didn't have talent at LSU, but the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 isn't as easy as some would think, especially without a real Spring practice.

I figured he'd be more successful with the talent there, but boy, was I ever wrong.

Who knows what is next for him? He has ties in the NFL. It might be time to humble himself and go do some work while reinventing his schemes and coaching.

On the other hand, he's a big family man and values that part of his life, and he doesn't ever have to work again, if he doesn't want to, so I could see him heading home

Agreed. Orgeron said during the season he wasn't happy with the defensive schemes and discipline (or lack thereof) and I guess what he saw just didn't make him think long term it would get better. LSU tried to go from the 3-4 to the 4-3 via Zoom and without most of spring practice. Then he lost his starting safety and a DT who opted out and declared for the NFL draft before the first game. Then LSU lost All American CB Derek Stingley to a weird allergic reaction that put him in the hospital and kept him out of the last two games against UF and Mississippi State.

IMO what's even more surprising is that he fired Bo after one year even though he had to know it would impact his recruiting class. and it definitely has LB Raesjon Davis (#44 ranked player overall by ESPN) decomitted today, and they'd already lost DE Keanu Koht who flipped to Alabama and S Khari Gee who flipped to Notre Dame on signing day.

This is a very good point, and something I should have been thinking of also. Flipping schemes, regardless of talent, is difficult when you aren't there and can't give hands-on instruction and coaching. Bo's schemes are likely among the more complex in college ball these days, so it's hard to pin all of the failures on Bo when he wasn't able to coach the way he would have in a normal year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back