• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Pelini interested in the Purdue job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Quarterback U?

And the seat of Hank Stram?

The origin of Operations Research applied to Football?

Blasphemy.

I think this is typical Bo trying to get his name attached to every opening no matter how improbable to negotiate a better deal for his current job. I couldn't believe the article, sounds like they talked to a Bo mouthpiece. The most positive spin imaginable on his Nebraska record. The reality is the only type people he can probably work for are Osborne and Tressel. Both strike me as having a strong Father Flanagan streak; and it takes a huge level of political pull to be able to protect someone like Bo. The best job for Bo for about the next five years is YSU.

Because of 1 outburst where the officials called PI on a 4th down desperation heave from the #1 team in the country... effectively eliminating his team from playoff contention?

Yeah I can think of about 45 FBS coaches that would have reacted in a nearly identical fashioned...
hahaaaaaaaaa, that's a good one....

All due respect but Coach K is not comparable to Pelini. He yells occasionally, yes, but he's also one of the most highly respected basketball minds across any level. I've never seen him tear a kid or an official down on the sideline of a game so much so that you thought security should be involved.

I would venture that you don't watch too many Duke games then. :) Trust me, his favorite word begins with the letter "F".

As to the rest of this thread, there seems to be a lot of revisionist history on both sides. Recruiting was absolutely trending up, based on the young talent that is currently on the roster, but it's also a very valid criticism to question why it took so long to get to that point. And his mismanagement of scholarship numbers was terrible. He's a solid coach that let the pressure of this job get to him. I don't hate the guy, I don't wish him ill will, but I also don't particularly care what he does going forward.

I would venture that you don't watch too many Duke games then. :) Trust me, his favorite word begins with the letter "F".
Braveheart-Freedom_zpsfee7786b.gif~c200

Last edited:

As to the rest of this thread, there seems to be a lot of revisionist history on both sides. Recruiting was absolutely trending up, based on the young talent that is currently on the roster, but it's also a very valid criticism to question why it took so long to get to that point. And his mismanagement of scholarship numbers was terrible. He's a solid coach that let the pressure of this job get to him. I don't hate the guy, I don't wish him ill will, but I also don't particularly care what he does going forward.
How many national championships? Dont even mention BP with coach not even close.

Ok, let me start by saying "boy was I wrong".

My unscientific text question to a bunch of Purdue alumni (all are avid Purdue fans, most are season ticket holders, and a few are significant donors) asking about the potential of Bo Pelini becoming their coach did not get the results I expected. Apparently I have a bias not shared by others outside of Nebraska.

For context, I have listed some of my posts below, followed by actual quotes from the Purdue alumni.

I really can't see any P5 team hiring him. We shall see if this goes anywhere. I doubt it will.

I have a lot of friends that are Purdue alumni. A lot.

I will send out a group text asking how they feel about the rumor that Bo Pelini is interested in the job and will report back later.

The immediate responses to my group text are NOT at all what I expected.

I will give it more time, accumulate more responses, and post again tomorrow.

Actual responses from Purdue alumni:

"I would definitely take a look at Pelini. He did a very good job at Nebraska and is doing well at Youngstown State. Plus, the fact that he wants to get back in the Big Ten is a positive."

"I'd be good with Pelini. I like a fiery Gene Keady type roaming the sidelines. Never won less than 9 games at Nebraska."
(Gene Keady was a successful longtime basketball coach at Purdue with a tough demeanor and often had a scowl on his face during games.)

"I'd like a Polock whose parents were steel workers."
(I'm just including this because I thought it was funny)

"We need a guy with a ton of energy and no BS attitude. Pelini won 8, 9, 10 every year. He is physco, but he might be the right type. We have to make a great hire. Pelini might be the guy."

"Pelini would definitly raise the profile of the program, especially with the Faux Pelini twitter account."

As you can see, much more accepting of Bo than I had thought. Other than the physco comment, nothing else is very negative. Keep in mind Purdue is a program at the very bottom that just terminated a coach with no pulse. They are craving the opposite personality and someone that can raise the profile of the program.

Interesting.

Last edited:

My unscientific text question to a bunch of Purdue alumni (all are avid Purdue fans, most are season ticket holders, and a few are significant donors) asking about the potential of Bo Pelini becoming their coach did not get the results I expected. Apparently I have a bias not shared by others outside of Nebraska.

For context, I have listed some of my posts below, followed by actual quotes from the Purdue alumni.

"I would definitely take a look at Pelini. He did a very good job at Nebraska and is doing well at Youngstown State. Plus, the fact that he wants to get back in the Big Ten is a positive."

"I'd be good with Pelini. I like a fiery Gene Keady type roaming the sidelines. Never won less than 9 games at Nebraska."
(Gene Keady was a successful longtime basketball coach at Purdue with a tough demeanor and often had a scowl on his face during games.)

"We need a guy with a ton of energy and no BS attitude. Pelini won 8, 9, 10 every year. He is physco, but he might be the right type. We have to make a great hire. Pelini might be the guy."

"Pelini would definitly raise the profile of the program, especially with the Faux Pelini twitter account."

As you can see, much more accepting of Bo than I had thought. Other than the physco comment, nothing else is very negative. Keep in mind Purdue is a program at the very bottom that just terminated a coach with no pulse. They are craving the opposite personality and someone that can raise the profile of the program.

Interesting.

I hope they get him.

Fantastic? :)

As to the rest, I agree that he was able to bring in some talent. We wouldn't be where we are now without many of our top players. But, as you stated, his mismanagement of scholarship numbers was bad. We simply don't have depth in certain positions (or position groups). Additionally, he didn't seem to be concerned with "fit" while recruiting. I believe that's why we had so many guys get kicked off the team, quit, or never pan out. There wasn't a good fit for many recruits. They either didn't fit with the scheme, other players, or the coaching style.

Fantastic? :)

As to the rest, I agree that he was able to bring in some talent. We wouldn't be where we are now without many of our top players. But, as you stated, his mismanagement of scholarship numbers was bad. We simply don't have depth in certain positions (or position groups). Additionally, he didn't seem to be concerned with "fit" while recruiting. I believe that's why we had so many guys get kicked off the team, quit, or never pan out. There wasn't a good fit for many recruits. They either didn't fit with the scheme, other players, or the coaching style.

That's a fair assessment. Like I said, I never understood why it took the staff so long to get in a recruiting groove. Looking back at the earlier cases, and comparing them to the last 2, it's night and day. Just looking at the young talent on the O line (Gates, Farmer, Foster, Gaylord, Decker), shows how much better it got. But yeah, some big misses and roster mismanagement were black marks.

Interesting.

Sounds very much like Nebraska fans when we all wanted Bo hired as our head coach.

Just wondering out loud here...has anyone mentioned yet that, although the text on the HMax front page says "Pelini said to be interested" in the Purdue job, nowhere in the article does it actually say that Pelini is interested? it just quotes an anonymous, former coach who says that "he would definitely be interested" and would be a good fit. Not that he is interested, or that Purdue is even looking at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back