• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Paul Finebaum

He's an SEC and Alabama apologist but he's not wrong. Nebraska arguably could be 2-1 but the same argument could be made that we might have been 0-4 had the Akron game been played.

This is a disappointing team by any measure, a disappointing start and frankly all of us - including Finnebaum - expected better.

I like his take on Urban Meyer - just lambasted him; moreso than any other talking head. I give PF credit for that.

He said he expected more. Why? With everything that has fallen into place from QB2 leaving 4 days before the 1st game, which then got cancelled, then QB1 going down and a walk-on who had only been at the QB2 spot for a week taking over, then going on the road to Michigan; the results are not exactly shocking.

He is clearly not putting any thought into his comments. He is looking at 0-3, his uninformed expectations of a SF led Nebraska, and drawing the conclusion that they are just terrible. He’s an idiot.

Last edited:

He said he expected more. Why? With everything that has fallen into place from QB2 leaving 4 days before the 1st game, which then got cancelled, then QB1 going down and a walk-on who had only been at the QB2 spot for a week taking over, then going on the road to Michigan; the results are not exactly shocking.

He is clearly not putting any thought into his comments. He is looking at 0-3, his uninformed expectations of a SF led Nebraska, and drawing the conclusion that they are just terrible. He’s an idiot.
I said the exact same thing in one of my post about that "mental midget".....

Finebaum is generally dead-on accurate.

He's also a genius in understanding Nebraska fans can be easily triggered into starting a thread in your honor if you push the right buttons. :)

No doubt in my mind Nebraska is the most disappointing team in football as of now. Frost was widely praised as the slam dunk hire of all new hires this offseason. Top of the list. Can't miss. Nowhere to go but up. Fans, former players, local media, national media -- all in strong agreement. Frost's pedestal was set unreasonably high.

And no one would have predicted 0-3 -- regardless of the reasons for getting there. Many fans have moved the goalposts in order to defend this start with the "I don't think anyone realized just how big of a mess Frost inherited" excuse. If NU was 3-0, would there be praise for what was inherited? :)

Look -- I know many will take the criticism harsh and unfair. Tell those who criticize to "go find another team." I chuckle at those who do so. The point is not that Frost was a bad hire. Instead, it's critiquing what has happened to this point. Frost may very well end up a hall of fame worthy coach. I can't say that he won't. But there is most definitely reason for the criticism THUS FAR. It's early. Frost has plenty of time to improve. He probably will. This game against Purdue is about as important as a first-year game can be, however.

Last edited:

He's also a genius in understanding Nebraska fans can be easily triggered into starting a thread in your honor if you push the right buttons. :)

I have serious doubts that this evil genius cares about this thread.

Last edited:

I don't like Finebaum, but this is where the internet can be a bad thing. So as I type my disdain for PF I type it like I am saying I don't care much for Broccoli. If this was a conversation face to face you would see that it is not some mean/hatchet job, it is said tongue in cheek with an element of truth. There was a comment about thin skinned husker fans, which, I assume was directed at me for starting this thread. My opinion is that it might not only be one side of the discussion that is thin skinned.

I don't care for PF, like I don't care much for Dirk. Not going to spit on them if I ever see them, I just don't like what they write or talk about. Not a big deal.

I disagree that he is usually spot on, although I don't spend much time listening to him so I guess you could be right.

Last edited:

We were losing 39-0 at half-time. We lost 56-10.
We allowed a punt return for TD in EVERY game this year so far.
Our offensive line looks horrible.
We lost to a non-P5 team for the second year in a row at home.

I agree PF has no context to his comments ... but even with the issues you've listed above ... 0-3 is not acceptable. Losing to Michigan 39-0 is not acceptable.

There is not a person in this country who expected 0-3 and to excuse that record and relieve SF from any ownership of that is wrong.

HW articulated above my thinking way better than I could ever do.

Last edited:

I agree PF has no context to his comments ... but even with the issues you've listed above ... 0-3 is not acceptable. Losing to Michigan 39-0 is not acceptable.

There is not a person in this country who expected 0-3 and to excuse that record and relieve SF from any ownership of that is wrong.

Explaining is not the same as excusing. Paul asked why Nebraska was not meeting his uninformed expectations.

HW articulated above my thinking way better than I could ever do.

No punt return for a TD allowed against Colorado.

I'm still mystified that Nebraska had 17 yards of offense (.65) yards per play in the first half of that game. In other words, the Nebraska offense averaged about one step forward per play more than it would have by simply taking the snap under center and kneeling. That is not easy to do.
But hey they’ve got talent. Just ask the pseudo experts.

Explaining is not the same as excusing. Paul asked why Nebraska was not meeting his uninformed expectations.

No, he was asked to finish the sentence "The most disappointing team in college football right now is…"

Key words being right now and he is dead on. Name another team that has been more disappointing.

C

Last edited:
No, he was asked to finish the sentence "The most disappointing team in college football right now is…"

Key words being right now and he is dead on. Name another team that has been more disappointing.

C

Disappointing to who? PF? Who cares. He also went on to say that week after week SF says they will learn from this, and he claims there is nothing to learn and that the team is terrible. They have only played 3 games. One with a true freshman QB who hadn’t played a game in 2 years. One with a walk-on QB with no backup at all. One on the road against Michigan. He is an idiot.

Meanwhile is alma mater is a 31 point underdog to a conference opponent...

I agree is stinks when your team falls on hard times.

Disappointing to who? PF? Who cares. He also went on to say that week after week SF says they will learn from this, and he claims there is nothing to learn and that the team is terrible. They have only played 3 games. One with a true freshman QB who hadn’t played a game in 2 years. One with a walk-on QB with no backup at all. One on the road against Michigan. He is an idiot.

I would say disappointing to 99.9% of husker fans.

C

C

UCLA, maybe Florida State. My only reason for Nebraska not being the most disappointing is that I don't think much was expected by the reasonable/Rational fans. We didn't have a lot of players to fit the system and the ones we did have have not performed well up to this point (meaning Riley's years).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back