• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pat Fitzgerald Out At Northwestern: David Braun Named Interim Head Football Coach

What I'm hearing from the talking heads on Big Ten Network is hazing, in any form, is not to be tolerated. Is that the official stance at DONU? How is this policed? Am I naive to think hazing of any form doesn't happen at DONU?

What I'm hearing from the talking heads on Big Ten Network is hazing, in any form, is not to be tolerated. Is that the official stance at DONU? How is this policed? Am I naive to think hazing of any form doesn't happen at DONU?
I'm willing to bet every HC in the country is (or already has) having a meeting with their team to lay down the law.

If you have a bunch of dudes together--much less high-testosterone athletes--there's going to be "hazing" of some kind in someone's mind.

I tend to agree with the phrase, there is hazing then there is HAZING. When in the Corps there was a tradition of pinning on stripes. Which meant when you got promoted, everyone senior to you in the unit got to punch you in the arm to "pin" your stripes on. Later since rank in field uniforms were on the collar, they would take the backing off and punch the stripes into your chest causing minimal if any bleeding. As always some people carry things too far. A Recon unit had a similar tradition for when you got your dive bubble or jump wings. This is where things went from hazing, to HAZING. They started hitting the wings with axe handles and bats. If I recall correctly 3 guys ended up in the hospital with broken bones.

If these descriptions at Northwestern are correct this went WAAAAY too far.

With Penn St., I could look at Paterno and kinda think he had been carrying some knowledge of their situation...he came from a generation that didn't "speak" about dirty laundry and look the other way. I could be wrong.

With Fitz, if ya heard him talk...he didn't seem like the kind of guy that could live with that kind of knowledge. He also seemed like the type that would be pretty aware. I could be wrong.

We've learned time and again that personas don't always hold up. Not arguing his guilt or degree of it...but with what this has turned into I just hope a good man wasn't ruined.

That is the problem with any type of hazing. It may start with something small, but someone is always there to push the line a fraction of an inch, which isn't so bad, until someone else pushes it another fraction of an inch. Eventually, some pretty bizarre stuff can take place. Best to have a set of rules in place with zero tolerance of anyone pushing that fraction of an inch.

They should look at fraternities next.
Last year at Doane, one frat (the Greek system at Doane has no national affiliations) was permanently disbanned and all the others got one year suspensions. Apparantly, an all-Greek off-campus kegger got out of hand. Technically not hazing but they've clamped down hard on the Greeks there and hazing has been reduced to making sure pledges get enough sleep at night.

Institutions that are law suit targets can't afford to take this stuff too lightly.

This could actually be a blessing for Fitzgerald. I think he is an outstanding Division 1 football Coach. I think his departure from Northwestern and him being hired for another Division 1 Head Coaching opportunity, if he so desires, will allow him to attain success beyond what he ever could/would with the limitations attached to the Northwestern Head Coaching position.

I'm willing to bet every HC in the country is (or already has) having a meeting with their team to lay down the law.

If you have a bunch of dudes together--much less high-testosterone athletes--there's going to be "hazing" of some kind in someone's mind.
And thus, a new vocation is born

This could actually be a blessing for Fitzgerald. I think he is an outstanding Division 1 football Coach. I think his departure from Northwestern and him being hired for another Division 1 Head Coaching opportunity, if he so desires, will allow him to attain success beyond what he ever could/would with the limitations attached to the Northwestern Head Coaching position.

I think he's more likely to become an NFL assistant.

It won't be easy for any college program to hire Fitzgerald as a head coach without a high level of public criticism. Maybe NFL for a few years, then try to return to college. Fortunately for Pat's sake, he's still relatively young.

Last edited:

This article from The Daily Northwestern has a lot of details I was previously not aware of and also sort of explains the naked slingshot.

I think I will pass on the reading. I think my life will be better never knowing what a naked slingshot is.

A lot of power, to be sure. That is why independent corroboration is so important - which the student article did appear to have.
Without diving down a wormhole that will get me vacationed, let's just say anonymous accusations *without* corroboration have been used to wield some pretty substantial power in this country as of late. It doesn't take much, just a few people in the right places to decide to kneecap you at the same time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back