• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Partial Qualifiers

Very prophetic.

I remember the discussion at the time and most felt the reduction in scholarships was a bigger issue. Add the change in Prop 48 policy by the Big12 and a slide was inevitable...at least from the 'Dynasty' 'Top of the mountain' status of those mid '90's teams.

Just a reminder that it's an ever changing landscape. What is a detriment today may be a benefit tomorrow.

Yeah, it was such a crime taking a kid who academically fell a bit short and bringing him to college and GETTING HIM A COLLEGE DEGREE. What a bunch of rednecks. That s just doesn't even make sense.

Double elitest.”Some kids don’t belong in college and some teams shouldn’t be winning more than ours! Let’s kill two birds with one stone! - Texas”

I'll always believe the elimination of "partials" was orchestrated by TEXASS. They figured that was the quickest way to hurt Nebraska's program while doing the most damage. Those TEXASS schools were not going to beat Nebraska on the field so there had to be another way to cripple the program.

Letting those TEXASS schools in was the biggest mistake the Big 8 could have made at the time. Of course there was no shortage of Big 8 schools that absolutely despised the Huskers and were happy to do almost anything that would hurt or destroy our program.

Just as a little 'feel good' for us sorry Husker fans, look at the list of "most powerful programs" listed in that '96 article, all of which have had very rough times on and off since 1996.

"
Sure, Nebraska will always be one of the most powerful programs
in college football--along with teams like Florida State,
Michigan and Notre Dame--
but beginning next fall the Cornhuskers
will be part of the pack, fighting with Florida (again),
Tennessee, Michigan, Syracuse, Miami
and, who knows, maybe even
Kansas State, for a national title."

The following paragraph pretty much sums up why we are where we are and the underlined sure sticks out to me:

"Nebraska has flourished as a superpower during that time because
the Cornhusker program benefits from the convergence of many
supporting structures. The Huskers have a smart, stubborn coach
with 23 years of experience; unshakable faith in a football
system built on the option and the running game and brutal,
fast-paced practices"

SP and Billy C tried so hard to re-invent the wheel and we've never got the wheels back on since.

Last edited:

I'll always believe the elimination of "partials" was orchestrated by TEXASS. They figured that was the quickest way to hurt Nebraska's program while doing the most damage. Those TEXASS schools were not going to beat Nebraska on the field so there had to be another way to cripple the program.

Letting those TEXASS schools in was the biggest mistake the Big 8 could have made at the time. Of course there was no shortage of Big 8 schools that absolutely despised the Huskers and were happy to do almost anything that would hurt or destroy our program.

I'm so glad to be out of that mess. "Some" of those former Big 8 teams may be regretting they got in bed with the devil. I guess they thought we'd never leave & how that might affect their situation. Texas has gotten rid of some of their trouble makers, AD & President, but I understand they still have some left in administration (according to Joel Klatt on a radio interview down here).

Can any D1 teams take partial qualifiers anymore? Seems like all the recruits that would fall into that category go the juco route now.

I believe your correct. as long as they still qualify.
I've Heard Saban only personally visits O and D lineman. Kids that are projected to be NFL bound.
Smart strategy

In the Fiesta Bowl, Nebraska started four partial or
non-qualifiers (cornerback Michael Booker, defensive tackle
Christian Peter, cornerback Tyrone Williams and defensive end
Jared Tomich), and two others, wideout Reggie Baul and outside
linebacker Jamel Williams, played almost as much as the
starters. According to Nebraska officials there were at least 12
partial or non-qualifiers in the program last fall. "Among elite
schools Nebraska is a true haven for partial and
non-qualifiers," said the coach of anothe

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks