• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Pac-12 football coaches reportedly will discuss move to 8-game schedule this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Exact opposite of the Big 10....interesting.....

FWAA ‏<S>@</S>TheFWAA Pac-12 football coaches reportedly will discuss move to 8-game schedule this week | Deseret News http://bit.ly/ZtgLBi

Pac-12 football coaches are expected to discuss the possibility of eliminating one conference game from their annual schedules, according to CBSSports.com.

Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com reports that scheduling will be one of the items discussed during a coaches meeting this week.

Currently, Pac-12 teams play nine conference games and three nonconference games per season, excluding bowl games.

Part of the justification for eliminating a conference game would be to help Pac-12 teams stay competitive for a spot in a big bowl game by allowing teams more control over their schedules. The SEC, which has produced a national champion for six consecutive years, currently uses an eight-game conference model

Much more here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...move-to-8-game-schedule-this-week.html?pg=all

Last edited:

I think it makes sense to do 8 games.

9 conference games may be a bit more exciting, but it puts extra limits on who and where you can play, and it opens teams up for an additional loss. I'm not saying that I'm scared to play good competition - I'd love to play top 25 teams every week. But the reality is that voters (including the to-be-established selection committee) look first at wins and losses. One loss might still land you in a playoff... two losses will put you on the outside looking in.

The relatively small boost in strength of schedule rating isn't worth it. The PAC-12 would be smart to go back to 8 games, and the Big Ten should reconsider their 9 game decision.

I think it makes sense to do 8 games.

9 conference games may be a bit more exciting, but it puts extra limits on who and where you can play, and it opens teams up for an additional loss. I'm not saying that I'm scared to play good competition - I'd love to play top 25 teams every week. But the reality is that voters (including the to-be-established selection committee) look first at wins and losses. One loss might still land you in a playoff... two losses will put you on the outside looking in.

The relatively small boost in strength of schedule rating isn't worth it. The PAC-12 would be smart to go back to 8 games, and the Big Ten should reconsider their 9 game decision.

Agree. With a 9 game schedule there's more likelihood your conference will screw itself out of a big bowl game.

Yep, never liked the idea of 9 for a 12 team conference. 14-16 team conferences almost necessitate it though, unless you don't care if your conference feels like a conference rather than a scheduling alliance.

I want a 10 game conference schedule. And a 16 week regular season. What's the problem?

That would be the best thing ever. I'd even be ok just expanding the regular season by one or two games but adding an extra game to the spring season and playing against real opponents (preferably old Big 8 teams like Kansas, K State, and Iowa State who are just a few hours away)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back