• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

P5 Commissioners talking to each other about no fall football UPDATE: Could B1G Still Be Played?

But, we do have methods and medications to treat the flu that were not available, initially. And the flu vaccines do work for most people. I get my flu shots routinely. So far, so good. If you are not wearing the proper masks or wearing a mask at all, you are foolish.

Actually, they are starting to think that cloth facecoverings are actually worse for you than wearing no mask at all.

Every minute of every day people make risk assessments and take risks, actually every second of every day. The good news is you don't get to decide what is and isn't "unnecessary" risk on behalf of other people.
I disagree. In a given situation, knowing there is risk involved, I would never put myself or my family at risk. Boating without life jackets is only one example.

But if they go to bars to watch the games, they will be at risk.
The bars are packed right now. People need to stop acting like playing freakin football is going to make the pandemic worse. Get your head out of fantasy land and observe reality.

I think you're mistaking illustrative and colorful disagreement for a personal issue. The entire subject matter of HuskerMax is antithetical to his stated point, and absurdity is best illustrated by taking it to its logical end.

I have no personal vendetta against #278, just trying to draw out some original substance. :Fishing:

Nice try

He has a right to his opinion as do you. Nuff said

RR

I disagree. In a given situation, knowing there is risk involved, I would never put myself or my family at risk. Boating without life jackets is only one example.

Actually, boating at all has risk, life jackets or not. There is a risk involved in virtually every human activity. Some more than others, and some can be lessened by preventative measures, e.g. seat belts, but your literal statement that if risk is involved you would never expose you or your family to it means you would have to live in the bubble. Don't drive, boat, scoop snow, eat, or do anything else.

I love the irony of no practice with pads but we are supposed to start playing in 3 weeks. Totally makes sense.

Actually, they are starting to think that cloth facecoverings are actually worse for you than wearing no mask at all.

I would be curious to read the findings you are talking about. Below is the Duke University study that was recently published looking at 14 types of masks and their effectiveness.

The Duke University study determined the effectiveness depends on the amount and quality of material which seems reasonable.

The more quality information we all have...the better it can be for people that work in settings with close contact with other people.

Thanks

Duke University Mask Study

Last edited:
You avoid the risks that are avoidable. Driving intoxicated is a risk that can be avoided. Unfortunately, some do not understand the consequences of the risk and people die because someone took an unnecessary risk.
I do not drink, period. Nor do I take risks that have negative consequences for me or my family/friends.
it seems to me that, in principle, the amount of risk one takes should be up to the individual. That is what freedom allows. Hi reward usually requires high risk. Many decide not to take that risk. Everyone differs in that assessment. Part of that determination by a given certainly should involve an assessment of how it impacts others. Again individuals make that decision differently. (I wouldn’t be a test pilot for those reasons) Others, thankfully think it’s worth the risk. It’s the freedom to give that option that makes life worth living and it seems to that it’s something that has made and makes our nation great! (No political agenda intended here!!) It’s a philosophical position, in my opinion, that needs to be applied to the argument we are really discussing in this thread.

it seems to me that, in principle, the amount of risk one takes should be up to the individual. That is what freedom allows. Hi reward usually requires high risk. Many decide not to take that risk. Everyone differs in that assessment. Part of that determination by a given certainly should involve an assessment of how it impacts others. Again individuals make that decision differently. (I wouldn’t be a test pilot for those reasons) Others, thankfully think it’s worth the risk. It’s the freedom to give that option that makes life worth living and it seems to that it’s something that has made and makes our nation great! (No political agenda intended here!!) It’s a philosophical position, in my opinion, that needs to be applied to the argument we are really discussing in this thread.
I would normally agree with your line of thinking but not in this case. If I chose to not wear a helmet and ride my Harley across country I am probably only risking myself. In the case of a seat belt, the risk can cross over to others. You have a better chance of controlling your car if you are belted into the seat. Lose control possibly hit me. With Covid you assume the risk, catch it and possibly pass it on to numerous people you come into contact with. I guess you could also say that those you passed it on to were assuming some risk as well since they were not isolated in their home but I think it's safe to say that the decisions of a few can affect the many.

I would be curious to read the findings you are talking about. Below is the Duke University study that was recently published looking at 14 types of masks and their effectiveness.

The Duke University study determined the effectiveness depends on the amount and quality of material which seems reasonable.

The more quality information we all have...the better it can be for people that work in settings with close contact with other people.

Thanks

Duke University Mask Study

I was actually trying to find it but then the news about the moronic Big 10 came out, and I just really don't care at this point. Sorry about that.

I would normally agree with your line of thinking but not in this case. If I chose to not wear a helmet and ride my Harley across country I am probably only risking myself. In the case of a seat belt, the risk can cross over to others. You have a better chance of controlling your car if you are belted into the seat. Lose control possibly hit me. With Covid you assume the risk, catch it and possibly pass it on to numerous people you come into contact with. I guess you could also say that those you passed it on to were assuming some risk as well since they were not isolated in their home but I think it's safe to say that the decisions of a few can affect the many.

guess it’s an irrelevant discussion now! The Big Brothers have decided!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back