• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU/NU 1971

Sooner 24

BOOMER SOONER!!!
20 Year Member
Before the start of the 1971 season my brother and I ask our dad to see if you can get tickets to an OU game. He ask what game we want to go to and we both relied NEBRASKA! He said he would call his friend, who lives in Norman, and see what he could do. That evening he came home from work and proudly told us he got tickets. NEBRASKA we ask and then came the the awful reply. No, Joe said the game is going to be on TV and I’m not paying for tickets to a game I can watch for free.

We had tickets to the pre Game of the Century, Kansas. :Frown:

The following year we got season tickets and until my heart attack last year, and missing the Baylor game, the last time OU played at Owen Field that I was not in attendance was the 1971 OU/NU game.

Last edited:

Before the start of the 1971 season my brother and I ask our dad to see if you can get tickets to an OU game. He ask what game we want to go to and we both relied NEBRASKA! He said he would call his friend, who lives in Norman, and see what he could do. That evening he came home from work and proudly told us he got tickets. NEBRASKA we ask and then came the the awful reply. No, Joe said the game is going to be on TV and I’m not paying for tickets to a game I can watch for free.

The following year we got season tickets and until my heart attack last year, and missing the Baylor game, the last time OU played at Owen Field that I was not in attendance was the 1971 OU/NU game.
So curious for your perspective here. I know our fans have a pretty low expectation of an upset. Just curious of the temp in Boomer land?

Was Kansas any good in 1971?

So curious for your perspective here. I know our fans have a pretty low expectation of an upset. Just curious of the temp in Boomer land?
In a way, to people I know anyway, it’s just another game. It’s always fun playing Nebraska but it’s exciting playing a Nebraska that is really good. I’m just hoping for a competitive game. I don’t live in the OKC/Norman area so I’m not sure the excitement level there.

His dad must not have been as cheap as mine. ;)
Nah, your dad was a wise man, like most were in 1971. Such a different time. I was 5, have very little memory of that time, but I remember how it kinda was back then, life in general. People usually didn’t just blow money like we mostly do today.

My dad probably wouldn’t have thrown down for that either. I was born in Ohio (my dad worked for 39 years for Phillips 66). only job he ever had out of college. He was transferred around quite a bit. Landed in Oklahoma (Phillips headquarters) when I was 11. Lived in Columbus for the first year of my life. My dad even volunteered as an usher on saturdays at Ohio Stadium so he could see the games for free. Lol. He wasn’t a buckeye fan, just a football fan. All the family is from Iowa and Nebraska, where my mom grew up. Good times.

Last edited:

Nah, your dad was a wise man, like most were in 1971. Such a different time. I was 5, have very little memory of that time, but I remember how it kinda was back then, life in general. People usually didn’t just blow money like we mostly do today.

My dad probably wouldn’t have thrown down for that either. I was born in Ohio (my dad worked for 39 years for Phillips 66). only job he ever had out of college. He was transferred around quite a bit. Landed in Oklahoma (Phillips headquarters) when I was 11. Lived in Columbus for the first year of my life. My dad even volunteered as an usher on saturdays at Ohio Stadium so he could see the games for free. Lol. He wasn’t a buckeye fan, just a football fan. All the family is from Iowa and Nebraska, where my mom grew up. Good times.
Tickets were $6 for that game. $24 for the whole family. I still can’t believe it’s been 50 years.

Tickets were $6 for that game. $24 for the whole family. I still can’t believe it’s been 50 years.
It sure goes fast. Getting older by the second. Seems like 20 years ago I was 21. Lol. It’s been 34 years. Just crazy.

Be nice to have a ticket stub from that game.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back