• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oregon Speed + Husker Power

It will be fascinating to watch Bama VS A&M. Fisher is building great lines with physicality and will have plenty of athleticism at the skill positions to go with it. I think we'll see this experiment played out in the SEC West.
Yeah they got within 4 touchdowns this year
Keep thinking that

Seasons are longer, and playing weight and durability is tough to maintain.
Going against just overall bigger players takes its toll.
The NFL seems to handle it

It's admittedly confusing because our S&C program was titled "Husker Power" but in the context of this discussion folks are misusing the term Power. To be exact people are using the term power when they really mean strength or overall mass. All these things are interrelated but:

Strength = What one can move
Speed = How fast one can move
Power = How fast one can move a certain amount of weight or their own mass. This is rate of force.

Not trying to speak for *** but where he speaks about Oregon Speed vs Husker Power, he's talking about trying to blend a system that is focused on speed with our old and now largely renewed S&C program.

Speed vs power is false concept. Speed is part of power.

I think our point in the last thread was that it is not working. It appears that our staff does not have the best education to be able to keep up, they are stuck in old school Husker Power training. To a large extent, you can have both power and speed but not with the concepts they are currently using.

There does not appear to be much of those concepts married with real functional training which is how you make the body able to use the power and speed and also to keep you from getting injured. Each individual position should be trained differently. Not saying that they don't already do that but from watching the players, their performance and injury rates, it is very clear to us in the business that they are not doing a great job.

I guess my question wasn't about whether we are doing it well but if it could be done and how it could be done right. It seems like every year we end up talking about an incoming freshman as the fastest guy on the team. At some point, that's not a good sign.

I know the devil is in the details. Maybe the better question would have been how you would go about optimizing speed while maintaining or building adequate physicality and who is doing it well (other than the teams that are recruiting physical freaks in the first place). I know Alabama hired guys from Indiana. The guy Iowa fired seemed to do the actually S&C part of his job well but was maybe a poor excuse for a human being.

It's admittedly confusing because our S&C program was titled "Husker Power" but in the context of this discussion folks are misusing the term Power. To be exact people are using the term power when they really mean strength or overall mass. All these things are interrelated but:

Strength = What one can move
Speed = How fast one can move
Power = How fast one can move a certain amount of weight or their own mass. This is rate of force.

Not trying to speak for *** but where he speaks about Oregon Speed vs Husker Power, he's talking about trying to blend a system that is focused on speed with our old and now largely renewed S&C program.

Speed vs power is false concept. Speed is part of power.

Fair enough. I was using the phrasing that Frost has used but understand.

I really don't think a blend of Husker Power running game and Oregon Speed will ever work. Impo its like mixing oil and water.

If you look at the past Oregon teams all played well in the PAC12 but when post season bowls or out of conference games game up they struggled against B1G10 and SEC teams that went ground and pound on them they lost. The UCF vs Auburn is the only odd ball and that UCF was lighting in a bottle.

Frost has to adapt his O to the B1G 10 if not it won't matter who the Jim's and Joe's are if the scheme is out of wack.

It appeared the team did better when it ran more of a power Run with RPO then all of the flash and dash of Oregon speed. Ya it wouldnt be pretty but I'll take a 9 ugly win season anytime.

Last edited:
When I hear Oregon Speed and Husker Power what comes to mind is building speed in the skill players and power in areas like the lines. Backers speed and strength is ultra important so I'm not sure how they handle that group.

Well i guess id like to know what do you think Nebraska should do *** or what would be the best move? Should NU fire the S&C coach Duval and go a different direction? Who would be a good hire in that case? Should Nebraska just change the offense to just pure power football or pure speed football(oregon used to be). Some players looked slower or stiff (AM last year), players are transferring, some very fast receivers can't seem to get on the field. What is or what would be Nebraskas best move, cause something just seems out of whack right now. Thank you in advance

Well i guess id like to know what do you think Nebraska should do *** or what would be the best move? Should NU fire the S&C coach Duval and go a different direction? Who would be a good hire in that case? Should Nebraska just change the offense to just pure power football or pure speed football(oregon used to be). Some players looked slower or stiff (AM last year), players are transferring, some very fast receivers can't seem to get on the field. What is or what would be Nebraskas best move, cause something just seems out of whack right now. Thank you in advance

Oh man......*** be like......

the worm dancing kid GIF

When I hear Oregon Speed and Husker Power what comes to mind is building speed in the skill players and power in areas like the lines. Backers speed and strength is ultra important so I'm not sure how they handle that group.
To be fair, Husker Power + Oregon speed is what every team in the nation chases. The problem is, very, VERY few actually succeed.

IMO you have to crawl before you walk. Being in the West, and having Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern on our schedule, you have to master power before you master speed.

There’s a saying that holds truth, you don’t coach speed, you recruit speed. We need to recruit AND keep more speed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back