• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Onion Gravy

FLAinCALI

Amazingly Humble
10 Year Member
I had to improvise gravy this year. I was foggy on this so I just made it up as I went.

quarter 5 larger yellow onions. give them a little olive oil, salt, pepper and roasted them until they just start to caramelize.

puree them put in a sauce pan and wait for the turkey to get done. (you can actually do the day before and store them in the fridge).

Once the turkey is done take any fragrant herbs used with the bird in a cheese cloth bundle and place in the pureed onions. Add the pan juices and drippings. Bring to a boil then let simmer on low until the bird is ready to serve. Remove the herb bundle. You might want to stir a few times while it simmering.

No fuss and delicious.

Last edited:

Man, that sounds awesome. You don't have to use a roux?

Nope. I kind of made it up on the fly based on what I remembered. I just let it simmer down to thicken up. It had all the great flavor of the turkey fat and a hint of sweet from the roasted onions. Didn't have season with salt or pepper either.

I am sure you could use the basic with roasted chicken or a beef roast (just add the pan drippings from those to the oinion puree). No idea if it would be good. Might have to try it next time we do a roast (deglaze the pan with a little red wine to help get all those nice beef flavors out of the pan ;) ).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back