• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked One recruit from the state of Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, we do best when we only take 2 or 3 from Texas... When you get into the top talent, no truly outside team (inside teams would include only OU and LSU) gets more than 2 or 3 of the best talent in Texas (top 100; 3* and better)...

I agree. Two or three would be a decent expectation.

This is just something I noticed looking at our class. Has the move to the big ten hurt us in recruiting Texas? Or is this just the result of having a small class and being more selective? I remember when we moved to the big ten there was a lot of talk about this. The positive people said that all of our games would be broadcast on the big ten so we had nothing to worry about. Discuss....
Isn't the very first 2013 committ (a QB) from TX, I think?

Definetley not a good state to ignore. Need to keep our presence down there. Next year, the 2013 class, Texas is LOADED with talent. We will more than likely get a few more than just the one or two we get this year.

As opposed to when? ;)

This is just something I noticed looking at our class. Has the move to the big ten hurt us in recruiting Texas? Or is this just the result of having a small class and being more selective? I remember when we moved to the big ten there was a lot of talk about this. The positive people said that all of our games would be broadcast on the big ten so we had nothing to worry about. Discuss....

There was quite a bit of jawing on the national boards from Texas fans who said Nebraska's recruiting would suffer after ditching the conference because Texans wouldn't want to play in the Big 10.

To which I always point out:

Number of Texans on the 1995 Nebraska Football team (considered by many to be the greatest college football team of all time) = 6.

Number of Texans on the 2007 Nebraska Football team (considered by many to be the worst NU team since the 1950s) = 11.

Clearly, Nebraska neither lives nor dies by the number of Texans on its roster.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if we pulled one or two more Burkheads from Plano ever so often. :Biggrin:

Isn't the very first 2013 committ (a QB) from TX, I think?

Nebraska's 1st 2013 commit is a Louisiana Ath. named Tre'Vell Dixon. They project him to DB. He has played QB in HS but is transitioning along trying to develope as a DB. Tremendous athlete who is a likely 4**** player once lists come out in Spring/Summer. LSU has yet to offer but unlike Deion Jones, I dont think Nebraska will have to wait until December to see if they do. I think he is 50-50 to be honest if he gets the LSU offer.

Thought I'd do a little breakdown

Pac 12 region - 6 (3 CA, 2 AZ, 1 UT)

Nebraska/border states/Big 12 - 4 (NE, MO, CO, TX)

New conference footprint - 3 (2 OH, IL)

SEC Country - 1 (GA)

Florida and Louisiana are conspicuously absent. The Northeast is non-existent. That could change a lot in the next week.

Two from Ohio = good

Just another thing to keep in mind moving forward. That is, with the Pac 12 alliance, it could potentially help our recruiting in California. Although that won't be until what 2017? Definitely don't want to let Texas dry up though. My guess is this year is a combination of being a small class and maybe just not seeing what we like down here this year.

This, and the majority of our bowl games will now be played in Florida so it will help our recruiting there.

Last edited:
Also with Baylor becoming a better school, TCU moving into the Big XII, that should lower our numbers. However, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, and New jersey have some very good programs that we are now gonna get looks from and I think we already see that with the likes of Westerkamp. Alexander, and McMullen. Also Fuller from New Jersey has us in his final two. Yes Texas is loaded with talent, but do not discount the talent in the B1G states as they have enough to usually go around for the whole conference. Plus i think the B1G gives us a better national footprint and we are seeing that more this year

Nebraska's 1st 2013 commit is a Louisiana Ath. named Tre'Vell Dixon. They project him to DB. He has played QB in HS but is transitioning along trying to develope as a DB. Tremendous athlete who is a likely 4**** player once lists come out in Spring/Summer. LSU has yet to offer but unlike Deion Jones, I dont think Nebraska will have to wait until December to see if they do. I think he is 50-50 to be honest if he gets the LSU offer.

Yeah, as I thought about it later I realized my mistake. Now, I remember NU OFFERED a Duel-threat QB from TX, but he hasn't yet made a choice as it is early. Sorry.

Also with Baylor becoming a better school, TCU moving into the Big XII, that should lower our numbers. However, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, and New jersey have some very good programs that we are now gonna get looks from and I think we already see that with the likes of Westerkamp. Alexander, and McMullen. Also Fuller from New Jersey has us in his final two. Yes Texas is loaded with talent, but do not discount the talent in the B1G states as they have enough to usually go around for the whole conference. Plus i think the B1G gives us a better national footprint and we are seeing that more this year

This, as well as the success Houston has been making recently. I still don't think the move to the B1G hurt us in anyway, rather it help us nationally. With a small class, we had to be very selective of the guys we recruited and offered and in the new conference we had a bigger market to look at. I would hate to see this staff take Texas recruits just for the fact they are from Texas. I mean is a 3* recruit from looked at as being better than a 4* recruit from NJ or IL. We have a great class currently and strong possibles on the way. NU will always have a foot in the door in Texas, but the good thing is now we have a "toothbrush" in the homes of Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back