• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked One recruit from the state of Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawkfanseth

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
This is just something I noticed looking at our class. Has the move to the big ten hurt us in recruiting Texas? Or is this just the result of having a small class and being more selective? I remember when we moved to the big ten there was a lot of talk about this. The positive people said that all of our games would be broadcast on the big ten so we had nothing to worry about. Discuss....

Last edited:

This just crossed my mind: How much has the bad blood that boiled up between NU and UT as we were leaving affected kids attitude toward NU?

We were told it wouldn't have much of an effect but I don't see how it couldn't.

I posted in an earlier thread that this would come up. We have the making of an outstanding recruiting class this year and I could care less where they come from as long as they are solid football players.

Just my layman's opinion but I thought for sure Texas would become similar to California for NU going forward. I imagined it would happen over time and not immediately but maybe this year is an anomoly. We will have to wait and see. We will probably get 2 or 3 kids most years from Texas but certainly not 7 or 8. I think the B1G Network will help us nationally but not in Texas more than any other non B1G state going forward. Obviously NU has to recruit nationally anyway so I don't care much where the kids come from. I will be interested to see how we do in Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania maybe even into New Jersey etc... going forward.

Honestly, I am more concerned what sort of footprint we start having in Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Texas will always be there with Beck as our OC.

I posted in an earlier thread that this would come up. We have the making of an outstanding recruiting class this year and I could care less where they come from as long as they are solid football players.

Out class is shaping up well but lets not pretend that Texas isn't a valuable place for HS talent.

It's something to keep an eye on, but let's see how this plays out with a bigger recruiting class next year.

Don't have to have any necessarily. Do you want to ignore the Texas talent?

Definetley not a good state to ignore. Need to keep our presence down there. Next year, the 2013 class, Texas is LOADED with talent. We will more than likely get a few more than just the one or two we get this year.

You can't ignore Texas, plain and simple. I don't think we are but it will be worth noting over the next couple years who we pull out of there. The top high school talent in this country is in the south and Texas. We need to keep a presence there.

Just another thing to keep in mind moving forward. That is, with the Pac 12 alliance, it could potentially help our recruiting in California. Although that won't be until what 2017? Definitely don't want to let Texas dry up though. My guess is this year is a combination of being a small class and maybe just not seeing what we like down here this year.

Just my layman's opinion but I thought for sure Texas would become similar to California for NU going forward. I imagined it would happen over time and not immediately but maybe this year is an anomoly. We will have to wait and see. We will probably get 2 or 3 kids most years from Texas but certainly not 7 or 8. I think the B1G Network will help us nationally but not in Texas more than any other non B1G state going forward. Obviously NU has to recruit nationally anyway so I don't care much where the kids come from. I will be interested to see how we do in Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania maybe even into New Jersey etc... going forward.
IMO, we do best when we only take 2 or 3 from Texas... When you get into the top talent, no truly outside team (inside teams would include only OU and LSU) gets more than 2 or 3 of the best talent in Texas (top 100; 3* and better)...

Osborne didn't recruit all that heavily, maybe because he was mostly before the advent of the B12.

Not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back