• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OLB Will Schweitzer is N

Not necessarily. IMPO, the only scholarship linebacker who it's looking like they probably won't pan out is David Alston. I think the jury is still out on everyone else at this point.

Nebraska has been trying to build that room since Frost got there. You lose three guys after this season, so heading into '21 you're looking at 12 scholarship LB'ers - 13 if you assume Luke Reimer will be a scholarship guy by then. The staff wants 16 or so scholarship LB'ers.

In 2021, you'll have six of those guys as upperclassmen (Sr's Caleb Tannor and Eteva Mauga-Clements; Jr's Garrett Nelson, Luke Reimer, Niko Cooper and David Alston). Not saying there won't be more attrition, that's inevitable, but as Chinander, Ruud and Dawson build that room up, you'll start to see the results. You gotta love the profile of kids that they're getting: Tall, long and athletic.
Agree on all. What other senior at LB we have?

Not necessarily. IMPO, the only scholarship linebacker who it's looking like they probably won't pan out is David Alston. I think the jury is still out on everyone else at this point.

Nebraska has been trying to build that room since Frost got there. You lose three guys after this season, so heading into '21 you're looking at 12 scholarship LB'ers - 13 if you assume Luke Reimer will be a scholarship guy by then. The staff wants 16 or so scholarship LB'ers.

In 2021, you'll have six of those guys as upperclassmen (Sr's Caleb Tannor and Eteva Mauga-Clements; Jr's Garrett Nelson, Luke Reimer, Niko Cooper and David Alston). Not saying there won't be more attrition, that's inevitable, but as Chinander, Ruud and Dawson build that room up, you'll start to see the results. You gotta love the profile of kids that they're getting: Tall, long and athletic.

It feels like you could say the bolded about most of the positions right now. Building up the room and will start to see the results. A very clear profile at all positions, it would seem as well.

I wish we would push for the commit a little harder early on to keep up with the sped up recruiting calendar that has about 3X the commits at this time compared to years past. However, I am feeling good about the approach.

Show some results on the field and it will show in recruiting even more.

Again, excited for the commit. Congrats and welcome and can't wait to see you run and smash some people.

I think we could all agree that the LB play has not been good for some time. I was wondering with you

As a guy who evaluates talent do you think we just don’t have the “dudes” yet or do you think development has been poor. I feel like this is a show me year particularly for the 3 senior LB’s. Honas was highly touted but has battled injuries and JoJo flashes brightly then disappears. It seems like the 3rd year in their established system we should reap some rewards. Mo Berry has a break out year and then inexplicably regressed. Do you think that Dawson and Ruud are going to be good developers?

I think we could all agree that the LB play has not been good for some time. I was wondering with you

As a guy who evaluates talent do you think we just don’t have the “dudes” yet or do you think development has been poor. I feel like this is a show me year particularly for the 3 senior LB’s. Honas was highly touted but has battled injuries and JoJo flashes brightly then disappears. It seems like the 3rd year in their established system we should reap some rewards. Mo Berry has a break out year and then inexplicably regressed. Do you think that Dawson and Ruud are going to be good developers?

Keep in mind Nebraska has had three different DC's in the last 4, coming up on 5 years. They've seemingly been recruiting to a different defensive system since Bo was fired.

This staff is recruiting to a different body type and athletic skillset. Just focusing on linebacker, they've especially been behind the 8-ball since they showed up. Collin Miller has played for all three of said DC's and three different positions. He's still not playing his ideal spot IMPO. Will Honas was a big pickup, especially in a transition class, but IMPO he's better suited as a MLB in a 4-3. Domann would be better suited as a WILL in a 4-3. See a common thread here?

I really like the profile they're adding now. Long, bigger framed, yet athletic enough to run and chase. Keyshawn Greene and Nick Henrich are the prototype. Then guys like Kpai in this class. I think Nebraska is well on its way to establishing some positions (QB, DB, OL) that are deep and allow newcomers to learn for a year or two before being needed. WR is well on its way, and I think RB could be close after another class too.

But DL and LB have steps to take. I think it's a BIG year for d-line recruiting. Really gotta hope you can close with Tobechi Okoli (IMPO your most important defensive target at this point) and also Ru’quan Buckley. Need to add a solid class that can sit a year since you have several guys that will be seniors next year.

But back to LB, yes I think Ruud and Dawson can develop kids and Ruud has proven to be a very good recruiter. They're adding a ton of guys to the room with this class and there'll probably be some attrition, but they're gonna go all out to get that room right.

This kid is way to talented to only have three pages on his commit thread. Thank you, @N2FL for your analysis of LB recruiting and how all the coaching changes can really impact who is playing a bit out of position and how we are recruiting more specific kinds of players to fit. This guys looks like a strong fit in our never ending quest to rush the passer.

Keep in mind Nebraska has had three different DC's in the last 4, coming up on 5 years. They've seemingly been recruiting to a different defensive system since Bo was fired.

This staff is recruiting to a different body type and athletic skillset. Just focusing on linebacker, they've especially been behind the 8-ball since they showed up. Collin Miller has played for all three of said DC's and three different positions. He's still not playing his ideal spot IMPO. Will Honas was a big pickup, especially in a transition class, but IMPO he's better suited as a MLB in a 4-3. Domann would be better suited as a WILL in a 4-3. See a common thread here?

I really like the profile they're adding now. Long, bigger framed, yet athletic enough to run and chase. Keyshawn Greene and Nick Henrich are the prototype. Then guys like Kpai in this class. I think Nebraska is well on its way to establishing some positions (QB, DB, OL) that are deep and allow newcomers to learn for a year or two before being needed. WR is well on its way, and I think RB could be close after another class too.

But DL and LB have steps to take. I think it's a BIG year for d-line recruiting. Really gotta hope you can close with Tobechi Okoli (IMPO your most important defensive target at this point) and also Ru’quan Buckley. Need to add a solid class that can sit a year since you have several guys that will be seniors next year.

But back to LB, yes I think Ruud and Dawson can develop kids and Ruud has proven to be a very good recruiter. They're adding a ton of guys to the room with this class and there'll probably be some attrition, but they're gonna go all out to get that room right.

Appreciate the analysis. We’ve seen some of these guys trying to run Diacos 3-4... like oil and water.

I also am surprised they haven’t gotten a monster nose guard yet. I know they don’t grow on trees but they need that guy to really make that 3-4 click. I suppose they will try to develop the current roster to fit that. Those guys are a rare breed and worth their (considerable) weight in gold.

Appreciate the analysis. We’ve seen some of these guys trying to run Diacos 3-4... like oil and water.

I also am surprised they haven’t gotten a monster nose guard yet. I know they don’t grow on trees but they need that guy to really make that 3-4 click. I suppose they will try to develop the current roster to fit that. Those guys are a rare breed and worth their (considerable) weight in gold.

Yeah they'll definitely want a NG in this class. Hutmacher was a great get last year and should be allowed a RS with guys like Damion Daniels, Jordon Riley and Jakeem Green holding down that spot this year. Would be nice to get another guy who could then RS in '21 while those three are seniors.

It’s pretty interesting to think that when the staff got here, they identified WR and DB as the two position groups they needed more bodies. But I think they quickly learned that having bodies didn’t necessarily mean they were in a great spot as you point out with linebacker.

Really like this get.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back