• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OLB Patrick Payton is 'N' Update: Bumped To A 4*

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m with you. It won’t be easy holding on to him until signing day. We had better have a solid season on the field or recruits like this will be hard to sign in year three.

Patrick Payton already has offers from Florida, Miami and Florida State. All of them will take at least one more run at Payton before NSD. So will a lot of teams. I agree, Nebraska has to get to 7-wins this season to keep recruiting momentum trending up.

Patrick Payton already has offers from Florida, Miami and Florida State. All of them will take at least one more run at Payton before NSD. So will a lot of teams. I agree, Nebraska has to get to 7-wins this season to keep recruiting momentum trending up.
We say this every year and we still get top 20 classes.

We say this every year and we still get top 20 classes.

You're pretty optimistic if you don't think a coach in his third year needs to have a winning season. I don't think 5-7 necessarily puts Frost on the coaching hot seat, especially with the asterisk COVID-19 now puts on any season that might get played. But it absolutely makes his job more difficult on the recruiting trail.

Frost (or any coach) gets a grace period where he and his coaches can sell their vision on the recruiting trail and even if they struggle on the field, they can sell the future to kids. Not saying he still can't, but this will be his 4th recruiting class. I don't think he can get a top 20 class this year if they don't make a bowl game.

I know they put a premium on getting to the quarterback and being disruptive. Given the guys we already have committed, without being able to host prospects on campus, I am liking the 6 guys we have in the fold. If the rest of the class are prospects like Pat Payton and the other commits, then we should all be feeling good.

I like each of our commits, and none of them required a winning season to come aboard. and it wouldn't make sense for them to come aboard saying "I'll commit, but I'll only stay committed if you win 8 or more..." They are committing because this is the team they want to play for. Barring an epic meltdown on the field, I have to be excited for the start of this class and getting these guys without visits.

You're pretty optimistic if you don't think a coach in his third year needs to have a winning season. I don't think 5-7 necessarily puts Frost on the coaching hot seat, especially with the asterisk COVID-19 now puts on any season that might get played. But it absolutely makes his job more difficult on the recruiting trail.

Frost (or any coach) gets a grace period where he and his coaches can sell their vision on the recruiting trail and even if they struggle on the field, they can sell the future to kids. Not saying he still can't, but this will be his 4th recruiting class. I don't think he can get a top 20 class this year if they don't make a bowl game.
Oh it will be tougher to be under .500 again. Then the recruits could say I can start freshmen year??

We want top 15 classes.
Yep. Unfortunately, we are looking up at Iowa, Minnesota, and bunch of other teams we should be out-recruiting in the 2021 rankings right now. There's plenty of time to change that, but right now I'm not sure that I would bet on another West Division recruiting title in 2021.

Oh it will be tougher to be under .500 again. Then the recruits could say I can start freshmen year??

If we keep putting a crappy product on the field athletes will begin to lose confidence in the coaching staff. The coaches have recruited well during the honeymoon period, but that only last so long. If NU was in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, that might extend the honeymoon a bit. As it is, to maintain recruiting momentum, improvement on the field is a must.

Yep. Unfortunately, we are looking up at Iowa, Minnesota, and bunch of other teams we should be out-recruiting in the 2021 rankings right now. There's plenty of time to change that, but right now I'm not sure that I would bet on another West Division recruiting title in 2021.
I would caveat this.
6 points last two games against iowa,and 50-50 against minny.
While we need to prove ourselves against iowa, we've already dont that against minny.
Seeing how our two real unaffected classes play first determines this.
A ton of talent there,much more than we've seen.

All the talk about our talent advantages were skewed. Player fits, consistency in coaching, huge attrition, and mostly skill position and skill position reaches,with high failure rate in the past has skewed what we thought, vs what we actually had.
Our line recruiting, other than D tackle hasn't been better than minny or iowa.
All these things, every one of them change this year.
Better O line talent, and at every position,if not better, simply more of better.
Time will tell.

The stamp this staff has put on this team will start to become more visable starting this year.

Penn State?

Our LB class, which once looked to be in great shape, has taken some real hits recently. Decomits from Schweitzer and now probably Payton, plus missing out on Burkhalter who we seemed to be leading with for quite a while.

Back to the drawing board for Ruud and Dawson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back