• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ok, now this is alarming...

I think there's issues on the offensive side of the ball. Worst offensive performance statistically this century. Lost your best player two years in a row. Lost a guy you called "the future". Your WR, RB, and QB room is the thinnest it has been since this staff has been here and we are in year 4. Changed coordinators already. You have people say "the portal is having this happen everywhere" but that's simply not true. Look no further to our defense. We are only losing guys that are going to the NFL or passed up by younger guys.

Whatever is wrong I hope we figure it out and get it fixed. I find it rather humorous though that losing Wan'Dale Robinson created us thinking we may be better off and be "closer to who we want to be" even though he was the #1 APB in the country and you compared him to the great players you've had in your offense like Thomas when recruiting him.

You can only coach speak during these times. But we gotta get it fixed. You have to have a winning season in 2021.
Is this something the new Player Development person is supposedly going to help with or are we beyond that now?

Does Frost seek outside counsel from anybody? Somebody must have some insight into what is wrong. Is haven't that sense something that Moos should have. Do we talk to these players when they leave? Spielman, Robinson, LM? What are they saying?

We know it is a bit of an offensive issue, given who has transferred in the last couple of years.

Last edited:
What are the issues? Who is not properly communicating to whom? Who is not teaching properly? Are the best [supporting] players not seeing the field? If so, why?

Basically, what is going on? It seems like you know something you aren't saying. ?

What's going on ... is that our offense is in disarray. We struggle on field. We're losing our players. We've lost the best player 2 years in a row. We call trick plays when we can't execute regular plays. If we go off down-distance schedule we are screwed. We kill our own drives with penalties and turnovers. We miss reads, miss blocks, hang our teammates out to dry.

We think we're better than we are. We talk big and are a laughing stock for the whole conference.

This all points to the offensive staff, take your pick.

We are in a big-boy league with big-boy defensive coordinators who school us nearly every week.

We hired a HC who needed to learn on the job, and that's happening very painfully.

Last edited:

1611696531008.png

What are the issues? Who is not properly communicating to whom? Who is not teaching properly? Are the best [supporting] players not seeing the field? If so, why?

Basically, what is going on? It seems like you know something you aren't saying. ?
I've been saying I can spot the problem just looking at the tangible things like stats and people transferring out. But I have no clue the answer. They gotta figure it out inside the walls.

Is this something the new Player Development person is supposedly going to help with or are we beyond that now?
I don't think the new player development person would be able to remedy anything happening on the field on Saturdays. That's more to keep kids engaged and around. Not necessarily better results on Saturday (though keeping more people around would be a nice byproduct).

I keep saying it's not all doom and gloom, but it doesn't matter.

I hate it that WanDale left.

I hate it that Luke is leaving.

Warner? He wasn't on the field much, so likely just wants to play. I get it.

Farniok? Same deal.

We'll be fine.

Smothers needs to get his sea legs under him pretty quick and Haarberg will likely need to accelerate his kindergarten years.

What's going on ... is that our offense is in disarray. We struggle on field. We're losing our players. We've lost the best player 2 years in a row. We call trick plays when we can't execute regular plays. If we go off down-distance schedule we are screwed. We kill our own drives with penalties and turnovers. We miss reads, miss blocks, hang our teammates out to dry.

We think we're better than we are. We talk big and are a laughing stock for the whole conference.

This all points to the offensive staff, take your pick.

We are in a big-boy league with big-boy defensive coordinators who school us nearly every week.

We hired a HC who needed to learn on the job, and that's happening very painfully.
Other than that Mrs Lincoln how did you like the play?

You are spot on with your points but with criticism should also come what we should do different, your thoughts?

For comparison purposes, I went into the TP and looked at all the B1G teams transfers in and out for 2020 & 2021:
1611696104324.png

2021 Football Transfer Portal (247sports.com)
Over those two years only Maryland had more transfers out than NU.

For NU:
I count 11 NU players have entered the TP for 2021! (Five 4 stars)
There were 20 players in 2020 (Four 4 stars)

For 2020, only OSU, Indiana, NWU, and Iowa had winning records. They also had winning records in 2019 and OSU, Indiana and NWU had the fewest transfers over these two years..

The 3 teams with the most transfers out: Maryland, NU, and Rutgers all had losing records for both 2019-2020.

Probably more study and comparison needs to be done on how transfers affect W-L percentages but this doesn't bode well for those with large numbers of transfers out. Especially if you are losing some of your highest ranked recruits/players.

Last edited:

I've been saying I can spot the problem just looking at the tangible things like stats and people transferring out. But I have no clue the answer. They gotta figure it out inside the walls.
I have said what I would do in multiple posts with this offense and the players in it.
They have a good chance to be successful if they make changes and not try and be who they were at UCF.

***, what would YOU do if you were Head Coach of DONU for 2021 and have the players you see on the roster for this season?

At this point we have to expect Smothers will start at least two games next year due to injuries and possibly more. We have never been so thin before. Our next coach is truly inheriting a total crap fest.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back