• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: 12 Team Playoff in 2026

Interesting. No details released yet I guess. Pretty much knew something would happen as far as expanding the playoffs.

I'm guessing that seeds 1-4 will get a first round BYE while 5-12 battle it out.

Here's a hypothetical 2021 CFP assuming they just used the Top 12 teams. Coincidentally, this also allows each of the Power 5 Champs (Alabama, Michigan, Baylor, Pitt, Utah) and the highest-ranked G5 Champ (Cincinnati) into the picture.

s8P7ZGH.png

Last edited:

I'm guessing that seeds 1-4 will get a first round BYE while 5-12 battle it out.

Here's a hypothetical 2021 CFP assuming they just used the Top 12 teams. Coincidentally, this also allows each of the Power 5 Champs (Alabama, Michigan, Baylor, Pitt, Utah) and the highest-ranked G5 Champ (Cincinnati) into the picture.

s8P7ZGH.png
So four more games if a 5-12 seed made the championship. 12 regular season games, a conference championship game, plus 4 makes a 17 game season. That is tough on a college athlete.

Guessing that all but eliminates ND to the Big 10...or any other conference now. The 6 conference champions + next best 6 ranked teams are in from what I've read. ND would make the playoffs as a high ranked qualifier.

I hate the idea of a bye. If 4 teams get an extra week of rest, while the other 8 get an extra game worth of wear and tear, they may as well keep it at 4 teams. The teams after #4 are going to be such an incredible long shot anyway.

As this will be taking place in the era of the P2, I can see playoff bids being allocated as such:
SEC 4 Auto Bids
B1G 4 Auto Bids
4 at large

:Rolf:

Now, spread this out between multiple TV networks, and make sure no one entity has a monopoly on the broadcast rights. Make it like the NFL playoffs, where all networks get a stake, and the championship game gets rotated between broadcast partners. One of the biggest mistakes of the current model was handing over everything to ESPN/Disney.

So four more games if a 5-12 seed made the championship. 12 regular season games, a conference championship game, plus 4 makes a 17 game season. That is tough on a college athlete.

But lots of moola for network executives.

Guessing that all but eliminates ND to the Big 10...or any other conference now. The 6 conference champions + next best 6 ranked teams are in from what I've read. ND would make the playoffs as a high ranked qualifier.
As conference size increases ND is going to be hard pressed to find suitable opponents imo. If a good team has only 2 NCG's why take a chance and schedule ND. They can avoid teams that would require a home and home series. I could see where 24 team conference might only have 1 non conference game? ND is going to have a tough time qualifying for the playoffs with nothing but unranked opponents.

This is probably the biggest downside to the change, IMO. FCS teams can play up to 16 games (I think NDSU did back in 2019), but they also play all playoff games until the championship game at that level at on-campus sites, which helps a little bit. I'll be interested to see if this issue is addressed when more details come out. The 17 game possibility will only be possible for a small number of teams, but it is a pretty significant jump from where things stand now.

Well, I think this helps with some parity issues. I think part of the problem with Bama Clemson OU now is that they are ALWAYS in the playoff and that pays a huge dividend in recruiting. Now that maybe 4-5 more teams can become a mainstay in the playoffs with 4-5 more on top of that it may spread out the recruiting a bit more. This better include playoff games on campus as well. I'd love to see a lot of the SEC teams have to head north of the Mason-Dixon line to play a December game.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back