• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive Depth Chart Predictions??

I'm trying my best to get excited about the offensive line, but unfortunately, I am still quite the skeptic that this is the weak link in the team. I've cussed these names over the years, so it's hard to have a new perception. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.
They weren't bad last year at all, 175 rush yards per game

For RBs, I see two sets of thunder and lightning:

Primary Thunder: Ervin
Backup Thunder: Dowdell

Primary Lightning: R Johnson
Backup Lightning: E Johnson

With Ives waiting and hungry.

Last edited:
It will be nice to be able to play backups more because we have depth. An added reason is that playing them some keeps them more invested in this team and less likely to portal out, and also in this era you want to play 'em when you've got 'em in comparison to the past. Rhule said today he won't blow a red shirt since players may be lost to the portal later anyway, which is the right thing to do. But I do expect him to give more players PT at the margins.

I expect all across Div 1 backup PT will increase on average under these new rules, maybe by something as large as 5%. That's just a swag and very hard to measure to know for sure, if course.

I'm trying my best to get excited about the offensive line, but unfortunately, I am still quite the skeptic that this is the weak link in the team. I've cussed these names over the years, so it's hard to have a new perception. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.
Benhart was everyone’s punching bag and last year he was out best linemen. The younger guys have had time in the program without being thrown to the wolves. They’ve had consistent coaching for 3 years. They’ve been in Rhule’s system for two years. They’ve had good S&C now for two full off seasons. TC, TP have plenty of experience. Two solid portal transfers.

I am excited to see some of that O line depth get some game reps this fall and I do agree they're going to compete and wouldn't be surprised to see some guys win PT later in the year.

From all accounts Brix and Pyle have really shown up and could if needed play beyond their RS option

I know Coach Rhule has spoken glowingly about them but realizes they are still young and would like to preserve their RS

Imagine we could throw the ball, the fact we were second in the big ten in rushing when the defense knew it was coming is insane
QB run. Towards the end when HH was so nicked up they shut us down when they needed to.
We finished 13th in the Big in passing, only Iowa was worse and their qb is gone, they don't have the wrs we have etc. We were 121st in giving up interceptions. We finished 129th in passing overall.
So yea, they couldn't stop our runs. Like MR says, they go single safety on us this year, we will hurt them through the air.

Benhart was everyone’s punching bag and last year he was out best linemen. The younger guys have had time in the program without being thrown to the wolves. They’ve had consistent coaching for 3 years. They’ve been in Rhule’s system for two years. They’ve had good S&C now for two full off seasons. TC, TP have plenty of experience. Two solid portal transfers.

It's amazing when a coach is actually allowed to coach his system and receives the support of the head coach how a guy like Benhardt can rise to the top

Me too. But I hope improvement. From four critical false start penalties to three ;)

Last edited:
For RBs, I see two sets of thunder and lightning:

Primary Thunder: Ervin
Backup Thunder: Dowdell

Primary Lightning: R Johnson
Backup Lightning: E Johnson

With Ives waiting and hungry.
I would flip the lightning backs, I would hope E Johnson gets the a large share of carries, at least between the 20's, he was our most complete back and showed some ability to get out and run. He ran in between the tackles well and showed patience. He seemed to get vertical better than the other backs. I am afraid Ervin's injuries may have hurt is lateral ability and he will just have to hit straight ahead without much ability in the "phone booth." I hope I am wrong because I really liked him coming in and the way he was progressing.

Last edited:

Finished 39th. Not bad for having your top two rbs gone for the season early. And no complimentary passing game.
We should be decent this year. But we have to hurt teams throwing the ball.
The line was better, but not like we could just line up and run the ball by handing off to a running back. 3 of the top 6 rushers from last season were the QBs with HH leading all rushers.

Now, most of that (my opinion) was due to having an absolutely horrendous passing game. Opposing teams didn't need to respect the pass (QB lack of talent and WR injuries) so they could just load the box.

I expect the line to look better due to improvements to QB play and WRs. That will force teams to respect the pass and our line won't be trying to run block against 8-9 man boxes. Better QB play that can exploit our TEs will go a long way.

The above issues will solve our running game much more than whether Ervin, Dowdell, or a Johnson starts at RB. There isn't a ton of separation between them. A healthy Ervin last year wouldn't have significantly move the needle on our rushing game.

The line was better, but not like we could just line up and run the ball by handing off to a running back. 3 of the top 6 rushers from last season were the QBs with HH leading all rushers.

Now, most of that (my opinion) was due to having an absolutely horrendous passing game. Opposing teams didn't need to respect the pass (QB lack of talent and WR injuries) so they could just load the box.

I expect the line to look better due to improvements to QB play and WRs. That will force teams to respect the pass and our line won't be trying to run block against 8-9 man boxes. Better QB play that can exploit our TEs will go a long way.

The above issues will solve our running game much more than whether Ervin, Dowdell, or a Johnson starts at RB. There isn't a ton of separation between them. A healthy Ervin last year wouldn't have significantly move the needle on our rushing game.
Agree. I also see us hitting shorter chunk plays running. It seemed if HH could get pass the mass of humanity waiting at the LOS he was going home.
With safeties back I expect our guys to be caught by them, or run out by them after a nice chunk run.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back