• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive and Defensive statistics ranking

No, no more “yes, but…”.
If you are going to use statistics then you are stuck with what they say, numbers are very sharp, they do not allow for “rounding “.

It was the stated goal of our DC that this defense was supposed to create turnovers against whoever we were playing, and that we didn’t is a major factor in why we are 3-7.
Am I rounding? I don't think I am. I clearly stated that we didn't force many turnovers. However, forced turnovers aren't always dictated by the defense, it can be the carelessness of the opposing offense. Sure, we need to cover fumbles that get on the ground and intercept the balls we get our hands on. That is only part of the equation.

To say our defense hasn't done enough to be a heck of a lot better than 3-7, is categorically incorrect. If you are watching the games that is abundantly clear. I've also shown a number of statistics in this thread that show that to also be true.

Another thread had me looking at our national rankings. Remember this is rankings.

Total offense. 16
Total defense. 53

Points scored. 62
Points allowed. 27

1st downs. 48
1st downs def. 51

Red zone off. 101
Red zone def. 101

Rushing off. 34
Rushing def. 39

Pass. Off. 34
Pass. Def. 64

Turnovers lost. 72
Turnovers gained. 81

Time of possession. 63

Most people would say the most important category is points scored and given up. And in this one case the defense was better. However we are only in the top 25 in one category and that’s offensive. We are top 50 in 4 offensive categories and 1 defensive category yet we celebrate our defensive coach and fire the offensive coaches? Something isn’t passing the sniff test.
I would have guessed our red zone D was better than that. Hmm.

Fans see what they want to see. A quarterback can slightly overthrow a poorly run route and the fans will engrave that into their minds the entire season. If a defensive guy misses a tackle on 3rd down to keep a drive alive and lead to a score nobody remembers it. This defense has had way too many opportunities to get off the field but little mistakes are made that go forgotten and yet are just as important.

Fans see what they want to see. A quarterback can slightly overthrow a poorly run route and the fans will engrave that into their minds the entire season. If a defensive guy misses a tackle on 3rd down to keep a drive alive and lead to a score nobody remembers it. This defense has had way too many opportunities to get off the field but little mistakes are made that go forgotten and yet are just as important.
I saw our defense buck up and get off the field time and again this season. JoJo, Reimers, CTB, the DL…making big play after big play, or playing great team defense to stop a drive and get the ball back for the offense with a chance to win the game. Multiple times against tOSU. Multiple times against multiple teams this season.

Then the offense not winning the game…turning the ball over, going 3 and out, or punting for 13 yards and putting the defense back on their heels with the world on their shoulders yet again.

For too many years our defense always missed that 3rd down tackle. Give up 3rd and 18 multiple times a game. Could NEVER get off the field.

See what you want to see…

I saw our defense buck up and get off the field time and again this season. JoJo, Reimers, CTB, the DL…making big play after big play, or playing great team defense to stop a drive and get the ball back for the offense with a chance to win the game. Multiple times against tOSU. Multiple times against multiple teams this season.

Then the offense not winning the game…turning the ball over, going 3 and out, or punting for 13 yards and putting the defense back on their heels with the world on their shoulders yet again.

For too many years our defense always missed that 3rd down tackle. Give up 3rd and 18 multiple times a game. Could NEVER get off the field.

See what you want to see…
That has definitely been the biggest improvement, IMO, this season. We've gotten off the field more on third down this year (47/116 last vs. 55/143 this year), especially third and long. Plus we've gotten off the field WAY more this year when the other team goes for it on fourth down (13/20 last year vs. 5/15 this year).

I'm not saying our defense is perfect. But, they've delivered for us a lot this year, against some really tough teams.

Thank you for proving my point. These stats say we are about average. Add in special teams and we have a record that reflects them. As for Martinez having a couple of championships. That’s hilarious to to think a qb can win a championship with below average performance around him and losing coaches
I’m not sure you got my point. So I will spell it out. Stats aren’t always helpful. AM has better stats than almost every QB Nebraska has ever had. Yet the offense can’t score and the win loss record is abysmal. Anyone looking at AM’s personal accomplishments wouldn’t expect his team to have so few wins.

The offensive stats show us as one of the top 20 offenses in the country, yet we can’t score in the red zone. Our defensive national ranking suggests our defense isn’t as good as our offense. Yet, it’s clear from watching games, our defense is pretty solid. They don’t give up a lot of points.

If that was the point you were making, then we are in agreement.

Last edited:
The drive before WAS. Right down the field.
The only reason we were in that game was because of the defense. The drive right before NE got the ball with 1:24 was a fumble by Martinez. The defense held the Michigan offense to... -3 yards. Yes they had a bad drive before that, but again...ended in a field goal. The offense failing to make any progress was again the issue.

That has definitely been the biggest improvement, IMO, this season. We've gotten off the field more on third down this year (47/116 last vs. 55/143 this year), especially third and long. Plus we've gotten off the field WAY more this year when the other team goes for it on fourth down (13/20 last year vs. 5/15 this year).

I'm not saying our defense is perfect. But, they've delivered for us a lot this year, against some really tough teams.
Good point on 4th down! If we did get a team to 4th down, we still werent getting off the field, even last year.

The only reason we were in that game was because of the defense. The drive right before NE got the ball with 1:24 was a fumble by Martinez. The defense held the Michigan offense to... -3 yards. Yes they had a bad drive before that, but again...ended in a field goal. The offense failing to make any progress was again the issue.
The Offense sh^ts the bed regularly, and we have seen all the data about our ineptitude when the game is on the line. The Defense isn't perfect, but they have held up their end of the bargain a helluva lot better than the Offense or STs, especially considering they are on the field more than they should be.
JMO, but I say we use a phased in approach. Fix the Offense and STs, and then we can work on raising the level of Defensive play. Fixing the Offense and STs would get us a winning record, some momentum, and then maybe the program would be a little more attractive to a few more difference makers on Defense......

The only reason we were in that game was because of the defense. The drive right before NE got the ball with 1:24 was a fumble by Martinez. The defense held the Michigan offense to... -3 yards. Yes they had a bad drive before that, but again...ended in a field goal. The offense failing to make any progress was again the issue.it
They scored 32 points. Lol. They had 459 yards. 255 passing and 204 rushing. But whatever man. If you think it’s good, no problem. I vehemently disagree.

They scored 32 points. Lol. They had 459 yards. 255 passing and 204 rushing. But whatever man. If you think it’s good, no problem. I vehemently disagree.
You make a valid point, because giving up that kind of yardage & 32 points puts you in a tough spot in many Big10/Big10 West games. Many games are won in The West 27-21, 21-17, etc. IMO, the Defense could use improvement, but it is 3rd on the list after Offense and STs....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back