• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oddest (Furthest?) Place You've Had a Husker Encounter?

In the autumn of 2005 I was teaching at the newly opened American international school in Kabul, Afghanistan. Early one morning before school started, I was walking through Karte Char, the residential neighborhood where we lived, to go to a nearby French bakery to pick up some croissants. I was wearing a Nebraska ball cap that I'd had for 16 years. I was saying "Salaam aleikum" to anybody who greeted me on the street.

Sitting against a rusty metal gate in front of a simple, poor Afghan house was an elderly, mostly toothless Afghan man wearing traditional Afghan clothes and cap. When he saw me, he smiled, stood up, and starting humming something and clapping. I was confused until I realized it was "Hail Varsity." I stopped, jaw on the ground, speechless, and I didn't know what to think, say, or do. In absolutely perfect English he asked me, "Are you from Nebraska? I used to teach in Lincoln." He had taught Dari (Farsi) at UNL for years, but he'd moved back to Kabul to die after being diagnosed with a terminal cancer. He offered me tea, and I asked if he wanted a croissant. We chatted for awhile.

Last edited:

In the autumn of 2005 I was teaching at the newly opened American international school in Kabul, Afghanistan. Early one morning before school started, I was walking through Karte Char, the residential neighborhood where we lived, to go to a nearby French bakery to pick up some croissants. I was wearing a Nebraska ball cap that I'd had for 16 years. I was saying "Salaam aleikum" to anybody who greeted me on the street. Sitting against a rusty metal gate in front of a simple, poor Afghan house was an elderly mostly toothless Afghan man wearing traditional Afghan clothes and cap. When he saw me, he smiled, stood up, and starting humming something and clapping. I was confused until I realized it was Hail Varsity. I stopped, jaw on the ground, speechless, and I didn't know what to think, say, or do. In absolutely perfect English he asked me, "Are you from Nebraska? I used to teach in Lincoln."

He had taught Dari (Farsi) at UNL for years, but he'd moved back to Kabul to die after being diagnosed with a terminal cancer. He offered me tea, and I asked if he wanted a croissant. We chatted for awhile.
Winner. Close the thread.

I was sitting in a pub in London in 2002 with my wife having fish and chips and a pint. All the sudden from the entry way, a man yells "GOOOOO BIGGGGG REDDDD".....I about fell off my chair. I was wearing my Husker shirt (of course I was my wife would say) and he walks over and says he is Tommy Frazier's cousin. We had a great conversation!!!

Last edited:
Best I can do is from 2002 in Kuwait, my facility engineer team was providing support to the 3rd Infantry Division as we were preparing for the 2003 invasion ... one of the engineer battalion commanders was from central Nebraska (10th Engineer Bn?), one of my Big Red classmates was there too and seemed like at nearly every turn around Udari Range & the camps we were bumping into Cornhuskers.

Not a good season to watch Huskers late at night at the MWR facility though.

My wife and I were in Park Rapids, MN at the L & N Farm and Fleet store. When we came out there was a guy checking out my van, which had husker decals in the back window. As we chatted about the upcoming season he revealed himself to be the father (Earl) of TJ DeBates. TJ now works for the MN dept of Fish & Wildlife as a regional supervisor.

Last edited:
In the autumn of 2005 I was teaching at the newly opened American international school in Kabul, Afghanistan. Early one morning before school started, I was walking through Karte Char, the residential neighborhood where we lived, to go to a nearby French bakery to pick up some croissants. I was wearing a Nebraska ball cap that I'd had for 16 years. I was saying "Salaam aleikum" to anybody who greeted me on the street.

Sitting against a rusty metal gate in front of a simple, poor Afghan house was an elderly, mostly toothless Afghan man wearing traditional Afghan clothes and cap. When he saw me, he smiled, stood up, and starting humming something and clapping. I was confused until I realized it was "Hail Varsity." I stopped, jaw on the ground, speechless, and I didn't know what to think, say, or do. In absolutely perfect English he asked me, "Are you from Nebraska? I used to teach in Lincoln." He had taught Dari (Farsi) at UNL for years, but he'd moved back to Kabul to die after being diagnosed with a terminal cancer. He offered me tea, and I asked if he wanted a croissant. We chatted for awhile.
Good luck topping that!

A few of us Husker fans getting up at O dark thirty on a Sunday morning at Oran AB in Korea to watch the B1G CCG in 1997 being played Saturday
Did that for an Nebraska-Oklahoma game while stationed at now defunct Rhein Main AFB. Was at like midnight or something like that.

EDIT: Rhein Main AFB was in Frankfurt, Germany for those not in the know.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back