• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Odd NFL rule - something similar in college football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
Someone had a question about NFL halftime lengths, so I looked it up to confirm. I figured halftime would be 20 minutes, just like it is in college football, but found out that NFL halftime is only 12 minutes long.

But that's not really the odd thing I found.

Check out this rule:
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing
When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

So the defense can be penalized if the crowd is too loud. How strange is that? Does anyone know if college football has a similar rule?

I wonder if any team has ever been penalized for crowd noise.

They used to ask crowds to quiet down in the old days, IIRC. Didn't happen often, but I remember seeing it.

I recall too...but haven't seen it in a long time. The QB would be behind center and then turn around and throw his hands up looking at the ref. Been a REAL long time since I've seen it. Maybe with silent counts it's not such a big deal anymore?

I recall too...but haven't seen it in a long time. The QB would be behind center and then turn around and throw his hands up looking at the ref. Been a REAL long time since I've seen it. Maybe with silent counts it's not such a big deal anymore?

Husker fans used to be so loud when the opposition was on offense, they'd actually warn us (when I was attending games in the stadium, years ago) that a flag could be thrown.

Last edited:

Someone had a question about NFL halftime lengths, so I looked it up to confirm. I figured halftime would be 20 minutes, just like it is in college football, but found out that NFL halftime is only 12 minutes long. But that's not really the odd thing I found.

Check out this rule:
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

So the defense can be penalized if the crowd is too loud. How strange is that? Does anyone know if college football has a similar rule?

I wonder if any team has ever been penalized for crowd noise.

We'd miss out on 8 minutes of commercials. ;)

I think it would be tougher for the bands to perform at halftime and for all the patrons to use the facilites.

Didn't KC Chiefs just set the record for the loudest stadium. Good luck getting the fans to quiet down. I am sure penalizing the home team might be like throwing fuel on the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back