• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NY state of mind

Pops

I have squandered my resistance
15 Year Member
update on my Nephew

http://www.pinstripealley.com/yanke...prospects-jacob-lindgren-future-major-leagues

Jacob Lindgren, this year's second round draft pick, has been about as unhittable as it gets in his first two months as a professional. After agreeing to a contract on June 14th, the 21-year-old lefty reliever has breezed through four levels of the minors, posting a 0.96 ERA and striking out 51% of opposing hitters along the way. In addition to his on-field performance, all scouts agree that his stuff -- especially his slider -- is absolutely filthy. All things considered, Lindgren would almost certainly be better than both of the team's current lefties, David Huff and Rich Hill, meaning there's a very good chance he'll be summoned to the majors in the next couple of weeks.
Lindgren's minor league numbers have been great, but pitching in the big leagues is an entirely different animal. The hitters are more discerning at the plate and are much more likely to capitalize on mistake pitches. As a result, dominant minor league numbers don't always carry over to the big leagues. Take Dan Runzler, for example, who was my top comp for Lindgren when he was drafted based on PITCHf/x and scouting reports. Runzler put up a filthy 0.76 ERA and 36% K% in the minors in 2009, but went on to throw just 72 innings in the majors before being exiled to Japan last month.

Runzler was great back in 2009, but Lindgren's been another level of excellent, so it might be more useful to look at what became of similarly dominant minor league pitchers who made the leap to the big leagues. Since 2006, there have been 63 minor league relievers who have thrown at least 20 innings and struck out at least 40% of opposing batters. Most of these seasons took place entirely in the lowest levels of the minors, but a few of these pitchers went on to pitch in the big leagues that same year. Here's a look at those who threw at least 10 big league innings.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back