• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU v. Illinois Game Thread

What are those issues? Let me guess. Lack of tradition. Lack of recruiting base. Etc. Well, those aren't ever changing. And other programs that "suffer" from similar issues manage to have programs that go to the tourney now and then. You need look no further than KSU. Sure, they may have a little more tradition than NU...but not much. Do kids today even know who Mitch Richmond was? No. ISU has been good. Iowa is recruiting better with the new coach and they don't hang on to bad coaches for long. etc. etc.

so take the Huggins plunge? pull a Beasley, hire his coach, pay to move his mom, etc...? in order to put yourself on the map.

No thanks. the little apple can keep their lower standards.

bilsker said:
Were my posts negative? Of course. The only thing more frustrating than watching NU look like crap all year was finally watching what they could do when turned loose. You've seen flashes of that this year but not much at all because NU has a coach that would prefer...to slow it down to a snail's pace when that wasn't even the style that fits the players he has. So yeah...that's mind boggling to me. And yes...blowing redshirts and then saying "I don't want to hurt their confidence by playing them in the Big 10" is mind-numbing in its lack of sense. No. At this rate there's nothing that Doc could do on the court that would get props from me. He's failed and he's failed miserably and it's not nearly ALL because of these "challenges" he faces/faced. A lot of it is his own doing.

The positive? Looked like the players were having fun for a change. Good for Doc that he only took 25 games to figure it out. Maybe he can employ that lesson at his next job. Personally, I'd like to see his friend Greg McDermott hire him as his "defensive coordinator". That's one thing doc knows...defense. See, he's not all bad. :)

I saw a team learning to play without their big man, with 4 guards, playing great team defense leading to transition buckets ... you saw it differently, same game, just different viewpoints.

Last edited:

so take the Huggins plunge? pull a Beasley, hire his coach, pay to move his mom, etc...? in order to put yourself on the map.

No thanks. the little apple can keep their lower standards.

Is that what people mean by "strawman" argument? Regardless of whether that's the right term or not your statement simply doesn't mean much. First of all...as far as we know neither huggins nor Martin have broken any rules. Also pointless in the sense that nobody is advocating trying to hire either man. But do you have to compete with those you are COMPETING with? Yes, you do. If that means you need to do better at making in-roads in the AAU world then you do it. Boehm and sadler both seem to not have a problem with the AAU circuit:

Marc Boehm, assistant athletic director for basketball, said Saturday that there is "absolutely not" any order to stay away from AAU. Sadler said he had no problem recruiting AAU and listed a handful of players, including Jorge Brian Diaz, who were in AAU programs.
http://www.omaha.com/article/201202...12#shatel-time-to-transform-nu-hoops-has-come

It's not inherantly bad.

Keep telling yourself that fredrick. That technical cost NU 2 points at the most and they were already melting down. You know it. I know it. And no amount of you revising history can change that.

Don't want a rematch? hahahahahahaha....yeah, cuz Nebraska is playing SO great. Unfortunately, the only way for a rematch would be in the sweet 16 and that's not happening. In fact even if CU lost out theyd be in the NIT and NU isn't even getting in that.

you are clueless. without a doubt. You don't know a damn thing about college basketball if you think the only good ball is played in the BCS conferences. OBVIOUSLY you havent watched the tourney lately. You obviously don't watch anything but Nebraska basketball and maybe some big games between Kentucky and Duke. There's a big world beyond the small pond you play in.

It's funny how you create false scenario's in your mind and keep repeating them.

A poor call on the foul, media on the sidelines were perplexed by the first technical as nothing on the floor was said, which leads one to recognize that Self knew he blew it with his poor foul call and got immediately defensive.

The foul, the chain of technicals, all questionable and the possession resulting from the chain of bad calls and FT gifts lead to much more than your "2 points".

Nebraska needs to overcome things like that on the road. Part of the game. But if I'm a Creighton fan that's always bashing the Cornhuskers, I'd be worried that it took that much manipulation to secure a win over a team on your homecourt that you loath so very much.

If blisker was truly the husker hater that a few of you seem to working so hard to make him out to be, wouldn't he want Doc to stay in Lincoln in the hopes that the ineptitude continues?

Like when many Husker fans hoped that Colorado didn't get rid of Hawkins...

as someone who's bbs corresponded for a decade with bilsker, I say cheers :cheers: , he's interesting to converse with and as compared to most Creighton fans, only slightly misinformed. :Biggrin:

Wow. Just came on today to catch up, getting pretty hot in here. Good win for the Huskers, even though it was against a team in freefall. While it's nice to see a win, it's hard to get too excited knowing that it probably won't continue. We've seen solid games like this out of the Huskers before, history dictates this type of performance doesn't repeat itself too often. Have to admit, looked like Illinois was gonna lay the wood on us for this first 10 minutes or so, the team stayed resilient and really took control.

It's funny how you create false scenario's in your mind and keep repeating them.

A poor call on the foul, media on the sidelines were perplexed by the first technical as nothing on the floor was said, which leads one to recognize that Self knew he blew it with his poor foul call and got immediately defensive.

The foul, the chain of technicals, all questionable and the possession resulting from the chain of bad calls and FT gifts lead to much more than your "2 points".

Nebraska needs to overcome things like that on the road. Part of the game. But if I'm a Creighton fan that's always bashing the Cornhuskers, I'd be worried that it took that much manipulation to secure a win over a team on your homecourt that you loath so very much.

Christ, Fred. Watch the game for a change.

Gibbs outhustled a couple huskers to the ball and GOT FOULED. Richardson, before the play was over, started crying to the refs. McCray or whoever it was obviously said something out of line and got T-ed up. Then Doc acted a fool. If I grant you that ONE of the Ts was over the line that's 2 points. Actually, McDermott shot the 4 FT for the techinicals. and made 3-4....missing the 3rd. So if you want to say that DOc's T was uncalled for then it only cost NU 1 point...even if BOTH t's were unwarranted (they weren't) you're talking max 3 points...CU did not get posession of the ball after that sequence.

You are simply full of crap on this one and suffering from a serious case of sour grapes. CU had seized the momentum. CU had gotten cold for a few minutes allowing NU to take a lead. CU woke up, got the lead BACK...THEN the sequence where you base your whole deal on happened. CU was on a 10-3 run BEFORE that. And outscored NU 25-19 AFTER that. Live in the real world, fRed.

Last edited:

If blisker was truly the husker hater that a few of you seem to working so hard to make him out to be, wouldn't he want Doc to stay in Lincoln in the hopes that the ineptitude continues?

Like when many Husker fans hoped that Colorado didn't get rid of Hawkins...

Trust me...the CU fans that really DO want Husker basketball to suck are really hoping NU strings together some meaningless wins down the stretch here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back