• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU v. Illinois Game Thread

It was a fantastic day at Devaney yesterday. Should've figured it was a good sign as we walked up and into the front doors with Dave Hoppen who is still as avid a Husker fan as when he played. Maybe moreso.

I checked on here last night. We stopped at Brewsky's after the game and a few commented that yesterday's game had to have our resident HM Husker Hater/bluejay fanatic in a real tizzy. Had to be a REAL miserable existence watching the Huskers play.

It was interesting watching the players throughout the game as their confidence grew, as they kept battling. They wanted to play well for each other, for their coach and for the fans. Bo often looked up into the crowd with a smile on his face, making gestures how much he appreciated the fans that were there. His comments during the postgame reinforced the feelings that you could see during the game.

The crowd was as engaged yesterday. Very involved, despite a pretty impressive contingent of Illinois fans that showed up. Quite a few busses parked outside the arena. Even though they are struggling, their fanbase sticks with them. Hopefully they've seen their worse days and see some sunshine soon. They seemed like a nice bunch from the few I chatted with.

The players laid it on the line. They played like they want to play. What has appeared to be listless play in a few games this year wasn't because they were giving up on their season, and that was good to see.

We still have a tough stretch in front of us, and if the players words mean anything they seem to recognize that. They didn't want to get too excited about yesterdays game, they were thinking of bringing the same intensity to practice that they've had lately.

Hopefully that means good things.

It was fun to be a Cornhusker fan at Devaney yesterday. :)

I checked on here last night. We stopped at Brewsky's after the game and a few commented that yesterday's game had to have our resident HM Husker Hater/bluejay fanatic in a real tizzy. Had to be a REAL miserable existence watching the Huskers play.

It was extremely frustrating...watching a team FINALLY play like they should have been allowed to play all year. It's good to know you and your friends are concerned with my reaction. I guess me AND Bill Callahan have taken up residence in your head. "Husker hater"? LOL. Get a clue fRed...although I won't hold my breath. You've been clueless on Nebraska basketball going back to Collier's ineptitude...remember when you defended him faithfully? At least until it was time to blame him for Doc's failings.

Your boy is clueless. He had a team that could run all year but he thinks they way to win in the Big 10 is to hold the ball until at least 10 seconds are left on the shot clock. Don't try to explain that away. Doc was serious. He actually, seriously, called a shot clock violation a PUNT. The good news is NU will be free of his idiocy soon enough. Not as soon or as cheaply as it should have been but oh well...such is life.

If you think that game bothered me in any way other than seeing what COULD have been then that's on you. You are so wound up that I'm a creighton fan too...and your general dislike for me...that you'll assume things that aren't true. Doc's fate is sealed. Brighter days are hopefully on the way for NU basketball.

Last edited:
It was extremely frustrating...watching a team FINALLY play like they should have been allowed to play all year. It's good to know you and your friends are concerned with my reaction. I guess me AND Bill Callahan have taken up residence in your head. "Husker hater"? LOL. Get a clue fRed...although I won't hold my breath. You've been clueless on Nebraska basketball going back to Collier's ineptitude...remember when you defended him faithfully? At least until it was time to blame him for Doc's failings.

Your boy is clueless. He had a team that could run all year but he thinks they way to win in the Big 10 is to hold the ball until at least 10 seconds are left on the shot clock. Don't try to explain that away. Doc was serious. He actually, seriously, called a shot clock violation a PUNT. The good news is NU will be free of his idiocy soon enough. Not as soon or as cheaply as it should have been but oh well...such is life.

Yes, as I've said before, I recognize that you don't understand a coach making use of basketball talk and what it means. I know that either you twist his words to fit your agenda or you really, truly are unfamiliar with what was meant and why it was said.

And I never changed my stance on Collier, but again you try to twist things to fit your agenda and your Husker bashing.

Collier was a good coach that couldn't figure out how to break through the recruiting barriers in place here. Doc has somebody in his corner that has made somethings finally happen so that some of those obstacles have been removed.

Is it too little too late?

Perhaps, but I'm sure TO won't be depending on a bluejay fans advice. Heck, they think that winning some at a lower tier conference is the same as playing through a Big Ten or Big XII schedule.

Laughable.

Yes, as I've said before, I recognize that you don't understand a coach making use of basketball talk and what it means. I know that either you twist his words to fit your agenda or you really, truly are unfamiliar with what was meant and why it was said.

And I never changed my stance on Collier, but again you try to twist things to fit your agenda and your Husker bashing.

Collier was a good coach that couldn't figure out how to break through the recruiting barriers in place here. Doc has somebody in his corner that has made somethings finally happen so that some of those obstacles have been removed.

Is it too little too late?

Perhaps, but I'm sure TO won't be depending on a bluejay fans advice. Heck, they think that winning some at a lower tier conference is the same as playing through a Big Ten or Big XII schedule.

Laughable.

That wasn't basketball talk my man. He said the same thing twice within the same post game. It was shameful. I didn't have to twist his words one bit.

I believe I recall one of your many excuses for Doc's suckitude being the awful state the program was left in by collier.

Laughable is you piss poor attempts to discredit a team that is so obviously better than Doc's. Fact is CU should NEVER be better than Nebraska. Maybe the new coach will figure out a way to dominate a series NU SHOULD dominate. The real tizzy is the one you probably have to throw every time CU wins a game.

Last edited:

And just to be clear. I DO have an agenda. I want that fool gone so NU can have a real basketball program. Not that my ranting on here will make that happen. No more than your apologizing for him will help his save his gravy train.

That wasn't basketball talk my man. He said the same thing within the same post game. It was shameful. I didn't have to twist his words one bit.

I believe I recall one of your many excuses for Doc's suckitude being the awful state the program was left in by collier.

Laughable is you piss poor attempts to discredit a team that is so obviously better than Doc's. Fact is CU should NEVER be better than Nebraska. Maybe the new coach will figure out a way to dominate a series NU SHOULD dominate. The real tizzy is the one you probably have to throw every time CU wins a game.

LOLOL!

That's right, despite Creighton having this "magic" season, they required a complete meltdown by Kelly Self's officiating to secure a win on their own homecourt over a Nebraska team that's struggled through much of this year.

You don't want a rematch, that's for certain.

If that doesn't singularly show what a joke Creighton's rankings have been this year, nothing will. The fascination that some have with the lower tier, mid-majors leaves a lot to be desired.

LOLOL!

That's right, despite Creighton having this "magic" season, they required a complete meltdown by Kelly Self's officiating to secure a win on their own homecourt over a Nebraska team that's struggled through much of this year.

You don't want a rematch, that's for certain.

If that doesn't singularly show what a joke Creighton's rankings have been this year, nothing will. The fascination that some have with the lower tier, mid-majors leaves a lot to be desired.

Keep telling yourself that fredrick. That technical cost NU 2 points at the most and they were already melting down. You know it. I know it. And no amount of you revising history can change that.

Don't want a rematch? hahahahahahaha....yeah, cuz Nebraska is playing SO great. Unfortunately, the only way for a rematch would be in the sweet 16 and that's not happening. In fact even if CU lost out theyd be in the NIT and NU isn't even getting in that.

you are clueless. without a doubt. You don't know a damn thing about college basketball if you think the only good ball is played in the BCS conferences. OBVIOUSLY you havent watched the tourney lately. You obviously don't watch anything but Nebraska basketball and maybe some big games between Kentucky and Duke. There's a big world beyond the small pond you play in.

Really had to piss you off to see CU in the polls didn't. Here's a clue. Don't bother looking tomorrow. Good chance they'll be back in. ;) ....as voted on by all those people that apparently don't know as much about college basketball as you.

I'm not sure there's any measure out there than has CU below 30. That's top 10% in the game. NU can aspire to that someday...if they get rid of the Doc.

Last edited:

I have a fascination with the mid-majors... because there's quite a few out there that are very much top 25 worthy... and a few that are likely to make some serious noise in the NCAA Tournament this season. It's not like football where your depth and experience will almost always overcome lesser teams. Basketball allows players to bolt after one season -- and that almost never happens to a mid-major team -- so they build experience and chemistry. And it really doesn't take studs at every position to compete well in basketball to the degree that it does in football. I like rooting for the supposed underdog schools -- that's what makes college basketball great. Couldn't care less for a team like Kentucky (NBA prep school, one year and done, over and over and over) -- that makes me ill.

Creighton has some solid wins -- a better resume than Nebraska.

Beat #13 San Diego State on the road (if you remember right, that was a solid team with stud athletes in last season's Dance).
Beat Northwestern by 8 (a team that beat Nebraska).
Beat Iowa by 23 (NU beat 'em by 6).
Split with a soon-to-be-ranked Wichita State team.

Nebraska's lone impressive win was over Indiana. Illinois was only impressive by the margin of victory -- otherwise, that's a team in free fall having lost 5 straight and only one less loss than the Huskers in the Big Ten.

Nebraska pulls off a very fine win -- about once a month -- and then reality hits. This has been happening for many years now. And it's why I cannot get overly excited about yesterday's win beyond recognizing it as yesterday.

When I was a student at UNL (20-25 years ago), I could not stand Creighton. My next-door neighbors were Bluejays fans. I oftentimes came home to Bluejays crapped tacked all over my door. But as I've gotten older, I've become envious of Creighton -- and that just shouldn't be. There just isn't an excuse for Nebraska not making the NCAA Tournament at least a few times each decade -- and occasionally wining game (which would be a new concept). We fight to get on the NIT bubble -- and that's a true shame.

Last edited:
A number of congratulatory posts from Husker fans, apathy from those "in the know", plus scathing commentary from fans of other teams.

Typical BBS reaction.

A number of congratulatory posts from Husker fans, apathy from those "in the know", plus scathing commentary from fans of other teams.

Typical BBS reaction.

Fans of other teams? Where? Only fRed brings up creighton in these threads. Been following NU basketball for as long as I can remember. Simply want to see them achieve. Got sick of excuses and piss poor coaches about 10 years ago. Even Danny Nee would cry about the "football school" nonsense.

NU will never get better out of their basketball program until they demand better and commit. That doesn't mean just facilities...but that's a good start. Committment also entails cutting the dead weight when necessary. Doc is dead weight. For whatever reason he didn't work. Use whatever excuse you want...just use it as he's on his way out the door with that $3.2 million golden parachute. No tears for doc. He came. He failed. He became a wealthy man.

Fans of other teams? Where? Only fRed brings up creighton in these threads. Been following NU basketball for as long as I can remember. Simply want to see them achieve. Got sick of excuses and piss poor coaches about 10 years ago. Even Danny Nee would cry about the "football school" nonsense.

NU will never get better out of their basketball program until they demand better and commit. That doesn't mean just facilities...but that's a good start. Committment also entails cutting the dead weight when necessary. Doc is dead weight. For whatever reason he didn't work. Use whatever excuse you want...just use it as he's on his way out the door with that $3.2 million golden parachute. No tears for doc. He came. He failed. He became a wealthy man.

Ironic how you felt the need to reply ;)

hey, we'd all like for things to be better & for quite awhile yesterday, it was enjoyable & I was very happy for the players (especially the seniors.) Meanwhile, you bashed the coach regarding playing time, style, tempo, yada, yada, yada.... (seriously, did you have a remotely positive game time post in this game thread? )

not disagreeing regarding improvements being needed - just I believe NU's issues are bigger than simply HC.

Ironic how you felt the need to reply ;)

hey, we'd all like for things to be better & for quite awhile yesterday, it was enjoyable & I was very happy for the players (especially the seniors.) Meanwhile, you bashed the coach regarding playing time, style, tempo, yada, yada, yada.... (seriously, did you have a remotely positive game time post in this game thread? )

not disagreeing regarding improvements being needed - just I believe NU's issues are bigger than simply HC.

What are those issues? Let me guess. Lack of tradition. Lack of recruiting base. Etc. Well, those aren't ever changing. And other programs that "suffer" from similar issues manage to have programs that go to the tourney now and then. You need look no further than KSU. Sure, they may have a little more tradition than NU...but not much. Do kids today even know who Mitch Richmond was? No. ISU has been good. Iowa is recruiting better with the new coach and they don't hang on to bad coaches for long. etc. etc.

Were my posts negative? Of course. The only thing more frustrating than watching NU look like crap all year was finally watching what they could do when turned loose. You've seen flashes of that this year but not much at all because NU has a coach that would prefer...to slow it down to a snail's pace when that wasn't even the style that fits the players he has. So yeah...that's mind boggling to me. And yes...blowing redshirts and then saying "I don't want to hurt their confidence by playing them in the Big 10" is mind-numbing in its lack of sense. No. At this rate there's nothing that Doc could do on the court that would get props from me. He's failed and he's failed miserably and it's not nearly ALL because of these "challenges" he faces/faced. A lot of it is his own doing.

The positive? Looked like the players were having fun for a change. Good for Doc that he only took 25 games to figure it out. Maybe he can employ that lesson at his next job. Personally, I'd like to see his friend Greg McDermott hire him as his "defensive coordinator". That's one thing doc knows...defense. See, he's not all bad. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back