• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU’s 10-Year B10 Anniversary

NUtronic

Unencumbered by the thought process
15 Year Member
On June 11, 2010, the B10 announced that NU would join the conference. Looking back on what happened a decade ago and everything since, you can’t help but think about what once was. Old B8/12 memories remain strong. But nostalgia gets undercut by the reality that the B12v1 was a bad fit of an arranged marriage. With Texas involved, the clock on its demise was probably always ticking.

NU-to-the-B10 might not have happened had the B12 had adult chaperones, to contain UT’s selfish maneuvering. But it didn’t, so here we are. Dan Beebe, the B12’s in-over-his-head commish, was like a bad parent who openly favored one kid over the others, encouraging UT’s self-centeredness and escalating the family dysfunction. You saw Harvey Perlman’s & TO’s reactions after working the deal with Jim Delany – fed up with Texas’ act, they knew NU would belong to a stable organization with a sense of collegiality, run by grownups. They recognized and seized a unique opportunity to act in the Univ. of Nebraska’s long-term interest. Despite some flawed decisions affecting NU’s football program, HP made a great one affecting the university as a whole – his primary obligation as chancellor.

Given UT’s recent slide, maybe NU might’ve ridden out the storm had it stayed (though there’s still no B12 Network and the Longhorn Network remains). But Texas could sow chaos, resentment, and distrust like no other. Having shopped itself to multiple conferences, always looking for a better deal, it was essentially a college football mercenary. About to bolt to an expanding P10, thinking it’d pay more (it didn’t, which is why it stayed), it floated disinfo about its intentions, raising other B12 schools’ uncertainty to crisis level amid fear of impending B12 collapse. What a conniving way to treat your colleagues (at least those not accompanying you to the new P16). Having been given safe haven in the B8’s home after the SWC rescue, it was now prepared to torch it. UT’s P10/16 courtship left TO & HP no assurance there’d still be a B12 for NU to belong to even if it opted to stay. If Texas left with other B12S schools in tow, as seemed likely, NU faced being left out in the cold. Beebe didn’t help matters with a tone-deaf ultimatum that NU reaffirm its B12 vows as Texas was plotting to run off with the pool boy. Staying put on hope alone was no strategy for a secure future. They had to make the move.

Major change involves tradeoffs. Old rivalries and traditions, easy and inexpensive road trips, and other comfortable past familiarities now belong to a bygone era. Unless you’re one of those who don’t mind a favorite restaurant closing or Willie Mays Hayes being played by a different actor in Major League II, there’s still a sense of loss. Though it somehow dodged the conference-killing Big One, the B12 had become a shifting fault line; NU is now on firmer ground financially and academically. With COVID-19 threatening athletic budgets, NU’s B10 $ has provided some cushion for a likely huge revenue hit. As a university, NU will continue to benefit from its B10 association regardless of COVID-19’s impact.

The way NU’s ex-B8 partners aided and abetted Texas is still hard to stomach. Longstanding colleagues quickly became enablers in empowering UT to commandeer the B12. Myopically aligning with their new frenemy in its early era to counter then-at-its-peak NU, they gave the new league an SWC feel, laying the groundwork for what eventually happened. And money always tops loyalty. Lured by greater TV revenue, Okla. & Okie St. were ready to jilt their fellow ex-B8ers and go with UT to the new P16 – they didn’t only because Texas didn’t. Always torn between the P10 & B12, Colo. had second thoughts about staying with its old conference mates after the B8 ended; CU-to-the-P10 was no surprise. OU/OSU/A&M/Texas Tech were part of a package deal – if the P10 couldn’t get the main attraction, it wasn’t interested in the backup singers. Just goes to show: There are no permanent alliances; only permanent interests.

I thought it would have gone so much differently. "I would love to play a full B1G schedule with those overrated teams, especially an annual drubbing of Iowa," I used to think.
I certainly didn't envision four losing seasons.

Last edited:
It's a bitter sweet anniversary. Hopefully the next 10 years is MUCH better on the field. If the B1G knew then what they do now, I'm not sure they would have taken us.

With Bo's initial restoration of the program, NU entered the B1G essentially on equal footing with Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., and Wisconsin; comfortably ahead of Iowa; and light years ahead of Minnesota.

It's a bitter sweet anniversary. Hopefully the next 10 years is MUCH better on the field. If the B1G knew then what they do now, I'm not sure they would have taken us.

With Bo's initial restoration of the program, NU entered the B1G essentially on equal footing with Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., and Wisconsin; comfortably ahead of Iowa; and light years ahead of Minnesota.

If we waited until June 2011 (a year later), the Big Ten wouldn't have taken us. As you recall, Nebraska became the first institution ever ousted by the AAU (in an April 2011 vote). Interestingly, it was Michigan and Wisconsin that turned on Nebraska, resulting in UNL losing its once long-time status as a member of the AAU. We remain the only non-AAU team in the Big Ten, which has always been a requirement for being a part of that conference.

On June 11, 2010, the B10 announced that NU would join the conference. Looking back on what happened a decade ago and everything since, you can’t help but think about what once was. Old B8/12 memories remain strong. But nostalgia gets undercut by the reality that the B12v1 was a bad fit of an arranged marriage. With Texas involved, the clock on its demise was probably always ticking.

NU-to-the-B10 might not have happened had the B12 had adult chaperones, to contain UT’s selfish maneuvering. But it didn’t, so here we are. Dan Beebe, the B12’s in-over-his-head commish, was like a bad parent who openly favored one kid over the others, encouraging UT’s self-centeredness and escalating the family dysfunction. You saw Harvey Perlman’s & TO’s reactions after working the deal with Jim Delany – fed up with Texas’ act, they knew NU would belong to a stable organization with a sense of collegiality, run by grownups. They recognized and seized a unique opportunity to act in the Univ. of Nebraska’s long-term interest. Despite some flawed decisions affecting NU’s football program, HP made a great one affecting the university as a whole – his primary obligation as chancellor.

Given UT’s recent slide, maybe NU might’ve ridden out the storm had it stayed (though there’s still no B12 Network and the Longhorn Network remains). But Texas could sow chaos, resentment, and distrust like no other. Having shopped itself to multiple conferences, always looking for a better deal, it was essentially a college football mercenary. About to bolt to an expanding P10, thinking it’d pay more (it didn’t, which is why it stayed), it floated disinfo about its intentions, raising other B12 schools’ uncertainty to crisis level amid fear of impending B12 collapse. What a conniving way to treat your colleagues (at least those not accompanying you to the new P16). Having been given safe haven in the B8’s home after the SWC rescue, it was now prepared to torch it. UT’s P10/16 courtship left TO & HP no assurance there’d still be a B12 for NU to belong to even if it opted to stay. If Texas left with other B12S schools in tow, as seemed likely, NU faced being left out in the cold. Beebe didn’t help matters with a tone-deaf ultimatum that NU reaffirm its B12 vows as Texas was plotting to run off with the pool boy. Staying put on hope alone was no strategy for a secure future. They had to make the move.

Major change involves tradeoffs. Old rivalries and traditions, easy and inexpensive road trips, and other comfortable past familiarities now belong to a bygone era. Unless you’re one of those who don’t mind a favorite restaurant closing or Willie Mays Hayes being played by a different actor in Major League II, there’s still a sense of loss. Though it somehow dodged the conference-killing Big One, the B12 had become a shifting fault line; NU is now on firmer ground financially and academically. With COVID-19 threatening athletic budgets, NU’s B10 $ has provided some cushion for a likely huge revenue hit. As a university, NU will continue to benefit from its B10 association regardless of COVID-19’s impact.

The way NU’s ex-B8 partners aided and abetted Texas is still hard to stomach. Longstanding colleagues quickly became enablers in empowering UT to commandeer the B12. Myopically aligning with their new frenemy in its early era to counter then-at-its-peak NU, they gave the new league an SWC feel, laying the groundwork for what eventually happened. And money always tops loyalty. Lured by greater TV revenue, Okla. & Okie St. were ready to jilt their fellow ex-B8ers and go with UT to the new P16 – they didn’t only because Texas didn’t. Always torn between the P10 & B12, Colo. had second thoughts about staying with its old conference mates after the B8 ended; CU-to-the-P10 was no surprise. OU/OSU/A&M/Texas Tech were part of a package deal – if the P10 couldn’t get the main attraction, it wasn’t interested in the backup singers. Just goes to show: There are no permanent alliances; only permanent interests.
That's a good summary, and I think another telling thing since this all went down is how the quality of football in both conferences has changed - Texas and their lackeys the B12 has generally declined in competitiveness and relevance, while the B1G has had 3+ teams in the final top 10 4 of the last 5 years, and gone from an overrated conference living on Keith Jackson Rose Bowl nostalgia to a group where every school from top to bottom is now actively competing and improving (see Minnesota, as much as I hate to admit it).

Money undoubtedly is playing a huge role in all of this, and Nebraska's brand helped improve the TV contract for the B1G, while leaving a void in the B12 that reduced the income they could negotiate there. The B1G would have probably improved had Nebraska not joined, and the B12 would have probably still declined if Nebraska stayed, but our move increased the swing.

I'm glad we did it, even if the toughness of the schedule makes things harder in the short-term.

Last edited:
That's a good summary, and I think another telling thing since this all went down is how the quality of football in both conferences has changed - Texas and their lackeys the B12 has generally declined in competitiveness and relevance, while the B1G has had 3+ teams in the final top 25 4 of the last 5 years, and gone from an overrated conference living on Keith Jackson Rose Bowl nostalgia to a group where every school from top to bottom is now actively competing and improving (see Minnesota, as much as I hate to admit it).

Money undoubtedly is playing a huge role in all of this, and Nebraska's brand helped improve the TV contract for the B1G, while leaving a void in the B12 that reduced the income they could negotiate there. The B1G would have probably improved had Nebraska not joined, and the B12 would have probably still declined if Nebraska stayed, but our move increased the swing.

I'm glad we did it, even if the toughness of the schedule makes things harder in the short-term.
so true on the BIG improvement. Except for a team that was supposed to win big in the Big 10. So many programs survived the administrative blunders to progress...verdict still out unfortunately on the Red. I still have faith in the coaches, this program stunk badly from top to bottom and while I feel some sort of progress should have shown in year 1 to 2, I think they are on the right track. Hopefully the recruits of the country have the same patience.
I marvel at what Minn. did getting rid of a bowl coach (claeys) and chancing on PJ. Me thinks PJ will be moving up again in the near future if he can replicate last season (I doubt). think USC, Wolverines (will they tire of Harbaugh), or even Texas, or Texam.

If we waited until June 2011 (a year later), the Big Ten wouldn't have taken us. As you recall, Nebraska became the first institution ever ousted by the AAU (in an April 2011 vote). Interestingly, it was Michigan and Wisconsin that turned on Nebraska, resulting in UNL losing its once long-time status as a member of the AAU. We remain the only non-AAU team in the Big Ten, which has always been a requirement for being a part of that conference.

My "guess" is that if we hadn't entered the B1G when we did we would not have been pushed out of the AAU at the time we were.

Somewhere in the ballpark of $50 million extra ANNUALLY that we've received vs. what we would have otherwise gotten.

Fixed it for you.

We got a partial share of the pie for the first few years of membership in the Big Ten, but we're still likely close to a half-billion dollars generated since we joined a decade ago.

Money isn't everything, but I sure wish Nebraska would spend more of it. You can't buy wins, but you can invest in things like better facilities, innovation off the field, S&C, etc. I know Moos is planning the upgrades as part of the college football arms race, but we used to lead the country in this stuff. Nebraska was one of the firsts with a S&C program, nutritional program and we were the first to take a mobile weight room to a bowl game.

I want to see that level of innovation again. It's more costly now because everyone is doing it, but we HAVE to develop the 3-star and walk-on kids better than we are. Until we become like Alabama and drown in 5-star applicants every year, we need to up the ante with our mid-tier kids and really turn them into beasts on the field.

I don't know? I'm thinking your second paragraph cancels out the bolded in the first. The BIG answered the question in the 90's as to who was ever going to stop Nebraska. That had to raise the level of pride for fans throughout the BIG and there is nothing to date that would indicate things will change soon for NU other then hope.

Fixed it for you.

We got a partial share of the pie for the first few years of membership in the Big Ten, but we're still likely close to a half-billion dollars generated since we joined a decade ago.

Money isn't everything, but I sure wish Nebraska would spend more of it. You can't buy wins, but you can invest in things like better facilities, innovation off the field, S&C, etc. I know Moos is planning the upgrades as part of the college football arms race, but we used to lead the country in this stuff. Nebraska was one of the firsts with a S&C program, nutritional program and we were the first to take a mobile weight room to a bowl game.

I want to see that level of innovation again. It's more costly now because everyone is doing it, but we HAVE to develop the 3-star and walk-on kids better than we are. Until we become like Alabama and drown in 5-star applicants every year, we need to up the ante with our mid-tier kids and really turn them into beasts on the field.
Yeah, that's around the total made - I was thinking of the difference in revenue sharing between the two conferences.

Hard to put an exact number on it, since the share would be divided differently with more/fewer members, and TV/other contracts/income streams for both conferences would have different numbers with different members, but either way it's definitely enough to fund lots of innovation.

I think we're still catching up somewhat in those terms as a result of HP/SE - agreed that hopefully the current project serves as a runway to change expectations/thinking and get us back to the front of the pack.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back