• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern now 1-7

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
They won the division last year and were 8-1 in the conference (9-5 overall) . I suspect coaching hasn't changed, talent level is about the same, schemes are the same. But now they are 1-7. Hmmm.

Wisconsin was 5-4 in the conference last year and 8-5 overall. Now they are undefeated. Same coaches, same talent level, same schemes.

College football is strange.

They won the division last year and were 8-1 in the conference (9-5 overall) . I suspect coaching hasn't changed, talent level is about the same, schemes are the same. But now they are 1-7. Hmmm.

Wisconsin was 5-4 in the conference last year and 8-5 overall. Now they are undefeated. Same coaches, same talent level, same schemes.

The announcers mentioned something about NW and the big difference was Clayton Thorson, the QB. And if you really want to look at Wisconsin, the QB they now have was a step up from last year. Amazing what a QB can do for a college team.

Yes it is. And we tend to forget they are still very young people and that a year in college, no matter at what stage, can change things a lot.

I had been offered a contract by the then Philadelphia Athletics to play pro baseball, but went to college instead. There I dropped baseball (and football, my best sport) because there were so many other interesting things to do. and by senior year, even playing basketball had become a drag. People change a lot during those years.

1-5

1 ..... UNLV
5 ..... Stanford, MSU, Badgers, Huskers, tOSU

Already spent two off-weeks

Last edited:

Losing 2-3 key players off a team can make a difference. Northwestern is experiencing that. They also won every close game last year this year they are losing the close games.

Wisconsin had a ton of injuries last year. The expectations were sky high for them. They play better as the hunters not the hunted. Coan is playing very well. They didn’t have Cephas playing. Lots of things.

Last edited:

Yup. NW beat the law of avgs. with all those close game wins over the last few years, it caught up with them this year. The carriage is now a pumpkin again...

Loss of Thorson was big. Also losing RBs to injury.

Also it speaks a lot to motivation and momentum (and perhaps scheduling, though that may not apply to NW this year). The "2nd tier" B1G teams are close enough in talent level that a key injury or a couple turnovers can completely change a season. And "want to" is a huge part of the difference between 8-4 and 4-8.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back