• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Non-Football: NU recruiting 5-star Academic Performers

A little background on why UNL was voted out of the AAU. Largely political.

By the time the AAU voted Nebraska out, its membership status had been in peril for over a decade, after surviving an earlier membership review in 2000.

But in 2011, members decided that Nebraska no longer belonged in the AAU based on its performance under a ranking system that weighs research expenditures, faculty membership in the National Academy, certain faculty awards and citations. Nebraska officials were unable to persuade voters, despite a plea from then Chancellor Harvey Perlman, who made the case that the AAU’s “ranking metrics distorted UNL’s actual research accomplishments.”

Perlman said at the time that factors going against Nebraska included the system’s organizational structure, “with separate flagship and medical campuses,” as well as its focus on being a comprehensive university and the devaluation of agricultural research—a strength for Nebraska—in the AAU membership. Perlman wrote a public letter arguing that the AAU prioritized “institutions narrowly focused on disciplines qualified for federal research dollars.”

A little background on why UNL was voted out of the AAU. Largely political.

By the time the AAU voted Nebraska out, its membership status had been in peril for over a decade, after surviving an earlier membership review in 2000.

But in 2011, members decided that Nebraska no longer belonged in the AAU based on its performance under a ranking system that weighs research expenditures, faculty membership in the National Academy, certain faculty awards and citations. Nebraska officials were unable to persuade voters, despite a plea from then Chancellor Harvey Perlman, who made the case that the AAU’s “ranking metrics distorted UNL’s actual research accomplishments.”

Perlman said at the time that factors going against Nebraska included the system’s organizational structure, “with separate flagship and medical campuses,” as well as its focus on being a comprehensive university and the devaluation of agricultural research—a strength for Nebraska—in the AAU membership. Perlman wrote a public letter arguing that the AAU prioritized “institutions narrowly focused on disciplines qualified for federal research dollars.”
For anyone who devalues agricultural research, they need settle for 1 meal per day at a maximum of 500 calories per day for each member of their entire family. 30 days of that may help them to reevaluate their priorities.

For anyone who devalues agricultural research, they need settle for 1 meal per day at a maximum of 500 calories per day for each member of their entire family. 30 days of that may help them to reevaluate their priorities.
It is a shame Ag research is devalued, but I’m not sure how Wisconsin is in and NU is not since Ag research is high on their priorities.

There are 71 AAU members, 16 do not have a medical school.

If the organization of the NU medical school was an issue, fix it! Change the reporting structure to address the certification issues.

Previous members - NU, I-State, Syracuse, Catholic Univ (Washington DC) and Clark Univ (Massachusetts).

R&D research monies by NU is roughly $350M which is middle of the pack for the 71 current members.

Last edited:

The medical school is not part of UNL. Their research money does not count, but that does not explain why the ag school doesn't count. Maybe it is the source of the grants for the Ag school.

The medical school is not part of UNL. Their research money does not count, but that does not explain why the ag school doesn't count. Maybe it is the source of the grants for the Ag school.

The primary source of their ag research grants is the USDA.

The NIH is the oldest research funding federal agency, and by far awards the most research dollars. By a LONG shot.

And.. if you look up UNL on usaspending.gov by their UEI (gov’t-assigned Unique Entity Identifier), NIH is the university’s top sponsor, not USDA. Interesting.

Also of note, the fact that UNMC has a different UEI is why UNL can’t use their awarded research dollars.

https://www.usaspending.gov/recipient/b80a61bf-aab0-2f35-db05-67fd682ea201-R/latest

Shouldn’t they already be doing that?
Isn't that part of the academic mission?

I love the attitude, I love the perspective and I love the mission.

But if it sincerely and truly something new then I think they are way behind the curve.

You'd think, but I guarantee it wasn't happening as of a few years ago. I know of one who scored a 35 on her ACT at age 13 or 14, graduated two years early from a Nebraska high school as a National Merit Finalist and didn't ever hear from UNL. No hard feelings from her in the least, as she would have politely declined if they had as Nebraska was not on her radar.

I know of another student who scored a 36 and was also a National Merit Finalist. He applied to UNL and was given a whopping $500 scholarship for being a NMF. His folks' couldn't believe it, but he went to UNL anyway, even though it would have been cheaper for him to go out-of-state.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back