• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No changes to the coaching staff

It’s one thing to know what it’s supposed to look like, and relay the mechanics, it’s another to have never been taught it, or participated in it.

That's why I still struggle to wrap my head around the reads our offense and defense uses. I came from a different defense during an era with different offenses. I don't know any of this stuff.

I knew he wouldn't make any changes but a few things concerned me in the article. He's going to take a personal role working with Martinez. I guess the other quarterbacks don't matter and if he is going to work more directly with all the QBs then why is Verduzco still taking up a coaching spot that could be used for a special teams coach who could maybe help in other areas as well.

"Contract extensions are forthcoming for men he’s seen do a “great job” in recruiting and developing players during their time together in Lincoln and — in many cases — at UCF in 2016 and 2017." Chinander and Fisher have been fantastic but Hield, Austin, and Lubick leave a lot to be desired. Colleges just hand out extensions like its Monopoly money.

The passage about McCaffrey just blew me away. I mean all the fans can see for their own eyes that he is not even remotely close to being an FBS QB unless Frost is planning on switching to an option running attack where he throws the ball less than 10 times a game and the QB runs like Crouch did.

I hope next year is great and Frost gets this turned around but his statements and actions just make me think his hubris knows no bounds.

Agree completely about Verduzco.

The thing that's so concerning is we've heard Frost say for three straight years now that better special teams play would have resulted in another win or two each year, yet he still hasn't truly addressed the special teams situation. He went after Sean Snyder for the analyst position he gave to Rutledge last offseason. Snyder, who is a renowned ST coach, wanted an actual assistant coach position. Frost refused to give him one so he goes to USC instead - as an assistant coach - and proceeds to coordinate the Trojans into one of the country’s top special teams units.

How different is the perception of this program if the Huskers had gone 6-6, 7-5, 5-3 and been to three straight bowl games? It's troubling that Frost sees the problem and won't make the decision to make staff changes to correct it. It's why I suggested that maybe he did have back channel discussions with some coaches he was interested in targeting to upgrade his staff, but was politely told they weren't interested because of the programs current situation.

Because if he can see issues and won't tell friends on staff that they're being replaced for a lack of production, his tenure is doomed. Nebraska has been outcoached in more games than not. They've had three straight years of the same problems on the field. If he doesn't know something is off, he's absolutely part of the problem. It's not going to end well for him IMPO.

I don't think I'm ready to compare Frost to Saban, Osborne, etc. He's had one great year and 'Meh' year and three years of 'What in the...'.

I still like his ceiling, but he's got to prove me right at this point.

What went wrong? Arrogance and youth, IMO.

He went 13-0 at UCF, beat Auburn in the bowl game and came into Lincoln like the conquering king. I get it. Two years as a head coach, 42 years old, former NFL player and National Championship QB for the Huskers. Yeah, my yarbles would be swinging with authority as well. He took for granted that he'd get buy in and HIS kind of effort from everyone. Ran some guys off, rub some the wrong way and fell on his face. Let's hope he's learned a bunch from three humbling years. He's visually aged from the experience, but only time will tell if he's going to learn from it, grow because of it and change what needs changing. I don't see his standing pat on his staff (Minus the ST analyst) as a sign of weakness or refusal to change. Have another losing year in 2021 and he has no choice. The only way he stays is winning in 2022 and if we can't break .500 this fall, well, barring something miraculous it is the staff.

Well, I was comparing, but not really comparing, their first years as a head coach.. wondering what is the difference. I think you are right, I think Frost might be a little high on the horse, or was.

I hope, for his sake, standing pat is exactly what he needs to do. I will be on here exclaiming from the rooftops how wrong I was.

The thing that's so concerning is we've heard Frost say for three straight years now that better special teams play would have resulted in another win or two each year, yet he still hasn't truly addressed the special teams situation. He went after Sean Snyder for the analyst position he gave to Rutledge last offseason. Snyder, who is a renowned ST coach, wanted an actual assistant coach position. Frost refused to give him one so he goes to USC instead - as an assistant coach - and proceeds to coordinate the Trojans into one of the country’s top special teams units.

How different is the perception of this program if the Huskers had gone 6-6, 7-5, 5-3 and been to three straight bowl games? It's troubling that Frost sees the problem and won't make the decision to make staff changes to correct it. It's why I suggested that maybe he did have back channel discussions with some coaches he was interested in targeting to upgrade his staff, but was politely told they weren't interested because of the programs current situation.

Because if he can see issues and won't tell friends on staff that they're being replaced for a lack of production, his tenure is doomed. Nebraska has been outcoached in more games than not. They've had three straight years of the same problems on the field. If he doesn't know something is off, he's absolutely part of the problem. It's not going to end well for him IMPO.

Well, special teams improved from 2017 to 2018 but needed to get better. It didn't in 2019, so he got rid of one of his friends, along with another of his friends. It got worse last year, so obviously the analyst only experiment didn't work.
We don't know what the end strategy with this is, but if he hires an analyst and assigns a current assistant to oversee all of it on game day, I'm ok with that. If he does the same thing he did last year, that's a huge mistake.

I can’t argue against that except I still don’t know if coach V is the problem or if Martinez injuries have been the problem. I really don’t know. Luke is a project, so I can’t judge coach V on that. It’s a tough one. I’ll defer for now.

Special teams has been a disaster. I don’t know that we have to have a full time ST coach, although it wouldn’t hurt. But we at least need a position coach or coordinator to take full responsibility for STs.

That said, if Frost were to move on from coach V and hire a full time ST coach I would be pretty happy about it. It seems like the easy move from the outside. I’m just not in that locker room to know for certain that it’s the best move.

What? The guy recruited him and is on staff for the specific reason of developing him.

Doing the same thing, with the same people and expecting different results exhibits a lack of understanding and the inability to learn from one's mistakes. We are in the morass of a poor team and lack the insight on how to extricate ourselves.

Also need to look at it from Frost's perspective. He's struggled. The program has struggled. Alabama and Ohio State can bring guys in and there is no issue because they're winning, big, and their head coaches are 100% secure. Saban wouldn't think for a second that Herman, O'Brien or anyone is going to cause him grief. They just aren't and he knows it. Frost brings in a guy who has been a head coach longer than he has, won more games than he has, etc. and it's uncomfortable. This staff and this team can't do uncomfortable just yet. Stack some winning seasons together and we'll talk.
This is an interesting point. Good coaches are secure in themselves. Whether due to winning all the time like Saban or just an internal confidence. As a result, they can and do hire top assistants (who may be smarter or more experienced than them) and trust them to do their jobs.

Frost has really nobody to push him or challenge his ideas on this staff. That is rarely a recipe for success and definitely not when things are going south.

Well, special teams improved from 2017 to 2018 but needed to get better. It didn't in 2019, so he got rid of one of his friends, along with another of his friends. It got worse last year, so obviously the analyst only experiment didn't work.
We don't know what the end strategy with this is, but if he hires an analyst and assigns a current assistant to oversee all of it on game day, I'm ok with that. If he does the same thing he did last year, that's a huge mistake.
And the analyst wasn’t his first choice.

What? The guy recruited him and is on staff for the specific reason of developing him.
And he’s in his second year, and it’s not even 2 full years. I’m not even someone who spends time looking over player evaluations and I even understand that a ‘project’ might take more than that.

What cracks me up with many of these posts criticizing Luke and making statements like he’ll never be a great passer is he doesn’t have to be great to be a college QB. He could just be a good passer, an adequate passer and he still has time to develop into that. There are plenty of players who have been successful in college, and even made their way into the NFL who were not great passers. And it’s almost a given that few if any had the wheels that Luke possesses.

This is an interesting point. Good coaches are secure in themselves. Whether due to winning all the time like Saban or just an internal confidence. As a result, they can and do hire top assistants (who may be smarter or more experienced than them) and trust them to do their jobs.

Frost has really nobody to push him or challenge his ideas on this staff. That is rarely a recipe for success and definitely not when things are going south.

I think Frost was and likely still is pretty secure, but the 'winning' part is what makes this different.

I do think having a staff that will challenge the head coach with opposing viewpoints is a great thing. Ultimately it has to be on him, but you have to have someone or multiple someones who'll give you another look.

Can’t say I agree with the decision, but it was made nonetheless. I think it will take more than sacrificing a position coach to turn this ship around though.

Frost has really nobody to push him or challenge his ideas on this staff.
This is a common narrative, but I really haven't seen someone from the inside confirm this is the case so I'm not ready to call it a fact.
HCSF has publicly stated his trust in Lubick and he has history with all these coaches with Chins going way back. I would guess most all of them feel comfortable expressing their thoughts and ideas.
Just because the coaches are on the same page publicly doesn't mean there isn't disagreement behind closed doors. I would be far more concerned if assistant coaches were challenging HCSF's decisions publicly. That would indicate some serious rot behind the scenes.

Moos needs to make lemonade of this staff and if ego Frost doesn't like it, then fire for insubordination and hit the bricks without a paycheck.

Like Eichorst interfered with Riley?
Pondering and Thinking animated emoticon

We saw where that got us. Unless something underhanded happened, I don’t think that’s the way to go. :Smile:

Last edited:

One thought, how old is Verdu?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back