• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Playoff Discussion

Looking ahead to Sunday's games:
Chiefs/Bengals-Either it'll be the continuation of KC being the top-dog of the AFC, or the Bengals will pull off one of the biggest cinderella stories in NFL playoff history. At this stage in the playoffs, I think experience plays a big role, and even though Cincy has the talent to keep up with KC, I think previous playoff success will help KC get over the top and win. Should Cincy lose, the question will be if this playoff run is a sign of what's to come from the franchise, or will this be a case where a team got hot at the right time and overachieved. Mathieu and Fenton back in the KC secondary will be huge, but it'll be an offensive showcase once again between the teams.

Rams/49ers-It's tough to predict a playoff game involving divisional opponents. It'll probably come down to who makes the biggest mistake. I was really impressed with Stafford in the win over Tampa. I didn't think he'd be able to keep up with Brady in a close game, but he played great, and threw the biggest pass of his career on the money to Kupp with Suh coming in quick to set up the game-winning FG. This is Stafford's best chance to carve out a path to the Hall of Fame. I don't really have anything against the 49ers, other than they rely a little too much on Deebo Samuel, while the Rams are much more diversified in their offensive production. Kittle has to step up if the 49ers have any chance to win. His 5 receptions for 81 yards and 0 TD's in two playoff games isn't going to cut it. I think it's the Rams in a close game.

So, offenses don’t get tired as well? Yeah, that argument does not hold water. Defense is damn near 50% of the game, same with offense, the rest is ST. Buffalo’s defense let the team down. They could have ended the game themselves with a sack and fumble return, or a pick 6, or a scoop and score. They needed one stop. It’s their own fault they never touched the ball in OT.
It's still the difference of the Chiefs having to score while the Bills have to make a stop and then score. It's not a fair system.

Is it Buffalo's fault they were in OT? Yes, their defense should've made a stop with 13 seconds left. But that has nothing to do with the overtime system being stupid. It shouldn't come down to a coin toss. I'm a Rams fan so I don't care who won the game. The system is laughable. The winner of the coin toss is 10-1 in the playoffs.

What do you suggest they do? They could just play another 15 minute quarter, but then you have a bunch of crybaby millionaires complaining they are tired. There isn’t a perfect system. I think the fairest thing is one more 15 minute quarter. I’m fine if they went back to sudden death. Any score wins it. Hell, all Buffalo had to do was hold KC to a FG. Then, they could have scored a TD to win it.
I already gave my suggestion. It's really simple. Just allow the other team to have one possession regardless of if the coin toss winner gets a touchdown. Right now they only get a chance if the coin toss winner gets a field goal. It's a very small change and fixes everything. It's kind of insane they haven't done this already.

Last edited:
It's still the difference of the Chiefs having to score while the Bills have to make a stop and then score. It's not a fair system.

Is it Buffalo's fault they were in OT? Yes, their defense should've made a stop with 13 seconds left. But that has nothing to do with the overtime system being stupid. It shouldn't come down to a coin toss. I'm a Rams fan so I don't care who won the game. The system is laughable. The winner of the coin toss is 10-1 in the playoffs.
Fair enough. We won’t agree. I’m not against a better system. Just play another quarter. Even then, still won’t be fair as whoever gets the ball first, most likely, will get it more times. Will never be perfect.

I already gave my suggestion. It's really simple. Just allow the other team to have one possession regardless of if the coin toss winner gets a touchdown. Right now they only get a chance if the coin toss winner gets a field goal. It's a very small change and fixes everything. It's kind of insane they haven't done this already.
So, if say KC got the ball first, used most all the 10 minutes driving, Buffalo still gets a try, even if there isn’t any time left? How does that work?

So, if say KC got the ball first, used most all the 10 minutes driving, Buffalo still gets a try, even if there isn’t any time left? How does that work?
It's 15 minutes in the playoffs. Only 10 minutes in the regular season. Yes, it's not 100% fair, but it's a lot better system than we have now. It'd ridiculous that Allen didn't get to touch the ball.

I'm actually a fan of the college football overtime system and I'd be thrilled with a version of that. Just make the teams start at the 50 instead of the 25 yard line. And then force them to trade 2 point conversions by the third overtime (or even the 2nd overtime). Way more fair and way more exciting.

Last edited:

It's 15 minutes in the playoffs. Only 10 minutes in the regular season. Yes, it's not 100% fair, but it's a lot better system than we have now. It'd ridiculous that Allen didn't get to touch the ball.

I'm actually a fan of the college football overtime system and I'd be thrilled with a version of that. Just make the teams start at the 50 instead of the 25 yard line. And then force them to trade 2 point conversions by the third overtime (or even the 2nd overtime). Way more fair and way more exciting.
How about, each team gets a drive, starting at your own 25? That would be fair. As fair as fair can be. 75 yards to take a commanding lead….at least when the other team has to match it. Play till you have a winner. Unlikely, with 75 yards to go, that you’d have 6, 8, 9 OT’s.

Looking ahead to Sunday's games:
Chiefs/Bengals-Either it'll be the continuation of KC being the top-dog of the AFC, or the Bengals will pull off one of the biggest cinderella stories in NFL playoff history. At this stage in the playoffs, I think experience plays a big role, and even though Cincy has the talent to keep up with KC, I think previous playoff success will help KC get over the top and win. Should Cincy lose, the question will be if this playoff run is a sign of what's to come from the franchise, or will this be a case where a team got hot at the right time and overachieved. Mathieu and Fenton back in the KC secondary will be huge, but it'll be an offensive showcase once again between the teams.

Rams/49ers-It's tough to predict a playoff game involving divisional opponents. It'll probably come down to who makes the biggest mistake. I was really impressed with Stafford in the win over Tampa. I didn't think he'd be able to keep up with Brady in a close game, but he played great, and threw the biggest pass of his career on the money to Kupp with Suh coming in quick to set up the game-winning FG. This is Stafford's best chance to carve out a path to the Hall of Fame. I don't really have anything against the 49ers, other than they rely a little too much on Deebo Samuel, while the Rams are much more diversified in their offensive production. Kittle has to step up if the 49ers have any chance to win. His 5 receptions for 81 yards and 0 TD's in two playoff games isn't going to cut it. I think it's the Rams in a close game.

That's a fantastic analysis.

I do agree that Cincy has the talent to keep up with KC, but they don't have experienced talent. That's probably the difference. At this point, it wouldn't shock me if the Bengals won, but it would surprise me. It's really going to come down to their defense, which has really overachieved this season. They won't be able to stop Mahomes and company, but if they can force a couple/few punts and maybe a turnover, it's not impossible they win. Their offense is definitely for real --- loaded with young talent that will carry them for years to come.

The Rams-Niners matchup is definitely about Stafford. He was great against Tampa, and he has the weapons -- OBJ has actually been a great addition. But there's been a few times this year when Stafford didn't look as good. If the Niners defense can confuse him, San Fran has a chance. The 49ers were one of the hottest teams the second half of the season. I think the Niners offensively will try to grind. Deebo is outstanding, but they need to rely on Eli Mitchell more in the run game. I don't think Jimmy G can carry them on their backs.

I'm looking forward to the games.

Last edited:

That's a very telling stat. 10-1 in favor of the coin toss winner. That alone flags the current playoff system as a problem.

The KC-Bills ended regulation with possibly the most amazing late-game shootout I've ever seen. Mahomes and Allen were putting on a clinic, trying to one up each other. No one would have been crazy enough to bet against whomever won the coin toss driving down for a TD.

Last edited:
Cincinnati has the skill players to keep up with KC, but if they don’t do a better job of protecting Burrow, the road likely ends here. They have a solid, opportunistic defense that makes some plays. If the Bengals can withstand any potential, early onslaught, I think this game goes to the 4th tightly contested. Hard to believe they won last week allowing 9 sacks. That’s hard to overcome.

That's a fantastic analysis.

I do agree that Cincy has the talent to keep up with KC, but they don't have experienced talent. That's probably the difference. At this point, it wouldn't shock me if the Bengals won, but it would surprise me. It's really going to come down to their defense, which has really overachieved this season. They won't be able to stop Mahomes and company, but if they can force a couple/few punts and maybe a turnover, it's not impossible they win. Their offense is definitely for real --- loaded with young talent that will carry them for years to come.

The Rams-Niners matchup is definitely about Stafford. He was great against Tampa, and he has the weapons -- OBJ has actually been a great addition. But there's been a few times this year when Stafford didn't look as good. If the Niners defense can confuse him, San Fran has a chance. The 49ers were one of the hottest teams the second half of the season. I think the Niners offensively will try to grind. Deebo is outstanding, but they need to rely on Eli Mitchell more in the run game. I don't think Jimmy G can carry them on their backs.

I'm looking forward to the games.
To your part about Jimmy G. I don't have anything against him. He's a talented QB, but he has some unbelievable record in games where he doesn't throw a TD pass that isn't sustainable. Granted, he's gotten to a Super Bowl and another NFCCG, but at some point, he's got to move on from being a game-manager to someone that can carry the team on his back. He has zero TD's, 2 INT's and 303 yards in two playoff games so far. It's actually amazing the 49ers have advanced this far with that type of production from their QB.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back