• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Draft - FootballPedia - SportsPedia

A few days ago I was digging around online archives, looking for some old articles from the 80s to try and remember some of the details as to what so many Southwest Conference teams had been doing to get on probation, and I kept coming across stories about the A&M QB that had more than a few extra perks as a student-athlete. Media often mention that Kyler Murray's dad was a great QB for A&M back in the 80s, but I don't remember seeing much mention of his special compensation package.

Sherrill acknowledged that Texas A&M; might have received a lighter penalty if he had suspended quarterback Kevin Murray, the apparent source of two of the most serious violations.

"We were faced with something that should have been dealt with a long time ago," Sherrill said. "Honestly, that is something today that I would change. I think they (the NCAA) were waiting for us to do something about (Murray)."

Although the report did not mention names, it said: "One of these team members who received substantial extra benefits was instrumental to the team's success in recent years," an apparent reference to Murray, the school's passing yardage leader.

Murray skipped his final season of eligibility to pursue an NFL career.​

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-09-10-sp-1477-story.html

A few days ago I was digging around online archives, looking for some old articles from the 80s to try and remember some of the details as to what so many Southwest Conference teams had been doing to get on probation, and I kept coming across stories about the A&M QB that had more than a few extra perks as a student-athlete. Media often mention that Kyler Murray's dad was a great QB for A&M back in the 80s, but I don't remember seeing much mention of his special compensation package.

Sherrill acknowledged that Texas A&M; might have received a lighter penalty if he had suspended quarterback Kevin Murray, the apparent source of two of the most serious violations.

"We were faced with something that should have been dealt with a long time ago," Sherrill said. "Honestly, that is something today that I would change. I think they (the NCAA) were waiting for us to do something about (Murray)."

Although the report did not mention names, it said: "One of these team members who received substantial extra benefits was instrumental to the team's success in recent years," an apparent reference to Murray, the school's passing yardage leader.

Murray skipped his final season of eligibility to pursue an NFL career.​

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-09-10-sp-1477-story.html
Hmm, interesting. Nice catch MABC. I have nothing against Murray other than he did well at OK so I hope he crashes & burns in the NFL just for that. But I do hope that the apple fell and rolled far away from the tree in this instance. I hate cheating & cheaters.

5'9"
Cliff kingsbury
The height isn't remotely as much of an issue in a spread formation like the Air Raid system. As for Cliff Kingsbury, you can't argue with his success in developing QBs. In the NFL you can hire other coaches to handle everything/everybody else.

he is going to get battered, Cardinals offensive line leaves a lot to be desired.
That's why I think that his size is an issue. If he was playing behind a top-notch O-line, his height wouldn't be an issue because he doesn't have to be able to stand tall and look over a tall O-line blocking equally tall D-linemen. He has to be able see where DBs and LBs line up pre-snap, and then read how one or two move when the WRs run their routes, which is a different sort of thing. His small size, though, is going to matter when he's repeatedly getting hammered by 300 lb dudes because his O-line isn't getting it done. Even then, the Air Raid gives him a better shot than any other system.

I'm not sure if he was the first to say it, but Mike Leach was the first coach that I ever heard use the expression, and it's become his trademark when discussing the handicap of bad O-linemen: "I don't need you to move that guy. I just need you to get run over slowly." There are ways to attack overly aggressive D-linemen. If Murray did NOT get drafted by the Cardinals, I don't think that he would pan out. He has to be in an Air Raid system, top to bottom.

If you haven't seen this already, this guy does a fantastic job of explaining a couple of the base plays of the Air Raid offense, and looking at how it works in the NFL already.

Last edited:
Just extreme passing while you can't move the ball six inches in a pinch. All passing attacks are hurt by pressure. 'Air Raid' is no different, at least the one that has been marketed to high school coaches for twenty years now. It is sound between the 20's and suffers the same weakness every pass offense suffers inside of the 20's.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back