• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New Coach: Nebraska Needs To Remember Who It Is

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Nice blurb by Barfy today about someone who was associated with UCLA's Ben Howland "laughed" when asked if Howland would be coming to Nebraska.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120310/BIGRED/703109783/-1#howland-link-may-not-help-huskers

There's a link for ya!

Cross howland off the list. Seems that whole thing at UCLA was a little overblown. From what guys like bilas have said most of the problems were with one or two real bad apples. Who hasn't had those?

On the scholarship side...the new coach is in a really tough situation. I know TO won't like it but he's gonna have to give the new guy the freedom to get rid of some guys that may not fit. Probably just need to let Diaz go. Probably keep Almeida if he's going to be healthy. That gets NU to even on scholarships. If there's anyone the new guy can bring in for immediate help (JUCO) he needs to be able to do it because next year is going to be scary.

Perennial cellar dweller? Sorry couldn't help it. I just hope to get a coach that can bring some excitement into the program/arena.

K state had one year of bob huggins, and look what that left behind, a high visability coach in frank martin,----- now im not saying we could stomach bob huggins, (who could), what im saying is we are going to need to put the money out there, for a big name coach, and if we get one, the wins and players will follow. Dana Altman is a great guy, but he is not the one..... We have committed to a huge figure for a new arena, whats 2.5 mill for a coach ?

I completely disagree with the "Nebraska needs to remember who they are" mentality.

When K-State was the worst football program in the country, did they remember who they were when they hired Snyder? Or Baylor when they hired Briles? Did Florida State forget to remember who they are when they won the ACC hoops tournament yesterday?

Yeah, Coach K, Tom Izzo, or even Ben Howland aren't racing to Lincoln. Shaka Smart probably set up shop here either. But that doesn't mean that Nebraska has to settle for Barry Collier 2.0 (the nice guy coaching a mid major to the second round).

If you don't like who you are, then do something to change it.

I completely disagree with the "Nebraska needs to remember who they are" mentality.

When K-State was the worst football program in the country, did they remember who they were when they hired Snyder? Or Baylor when they hired Briles? Did Florida State forget to remember who they are when they won the ACC hoops tournament yesterday?

Yeah, Coach K, Tom Izzo, or even Ben Howland aren't racing to Lincoln. Shaka Smart probably set up shop here either. But that doesn't mean that Nebraska has to settle for Barry Collier 2.0 (the nice guy coaching a mid major to the second round).

If you don't like who you are, then do something to change it.

Briles, Snyder, etc. weren't "splash" hires either.

Briles, Snyder, etc. weren't "splash" hires either.

I agree, good hires that turned out well, and we would be lucky have a similar situation pan out here in men's bb. It seems that when the AD says he is opening the pocketbook, he is talking about someone other than Dana or a mid major unless said mid major is Amazing! I can't wait to see what "opening the pocketbook" account means for T O.

I agree, good hires that turned out well, and we would be lucky have a similar situation pan out here in men's bb. It seems that when the AD says he is opening the pocketbook, he is talking about someone other than Dana or a mid major unless said mid major is Amazing! I can't wait to see what "opening the pocketbook" account means for T O.

It probably means paying market rate. That rate depends on the guy. Altman at $1.8M is probably going to demand (if approached and if interested) at least that much.

Groce on the other hand would probably cost around $1.5 maybe?

Smart maybe $2M?

Get down to guys like the Colorado State coach and you might get off cheaper.

Strickland even cheaper yet.

I don't think throwing more money at a particular guy than he's worth is a logical "opening up of the checkbook." I think they just mean that if they lose out on the guys they want that it won't be money that is the deciding factor. If you are shaka smart and NU and Illinois both offer you $2M...where are you going? But if NU's offer was $1.5 v. Illinois' $2M then that would be pretty maddening.

It probably means paying market rate. That rate depends on the guy. Altman at $1.8M is probably going to demand (if approached and if interested) at least that much.

Groce on the other hand would probably cost around $1.5 maybe?

Smart maybe $2M?

Get down to guys like the Colorado State coach and you might get off cheaper.

Strickland even cheaper yet.

I don't think throwing more money at a particular guy than he's worth is a logical "opening up of the checkbook." I think they just mean that if they lose out on the guys they want that it won't be money that is the deciding factor. If you are shaka smart and NU and Illinois both offer you $2M...where are you going? But if NU's offer was $1.5 v. Illinois' $2M then that would be pretty maddening.
Good take!

The suspense of this Hire is KILLING me! It seems like things may be coming together to get the BBALL team going and that is exciting....of course I am an optimist that gets excited every year!!!

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct today, the hosts had Lee Barfknecht as a guest and they speculated that with Nebraska coming out saying they aren't afraid to pay big money (specifically comments by Marc Boehm) Nebraska may get a lot of "interested" candidates who are doing so only to get pay raises/extensions at their current school (ala Houston Nutt). They noted Ben Howland (UCLA) may fall in this category and I would guess that Mike Davis (UAB) could as well.

Last edited:
On Unsportsmanlike Conduct today, the hosts had Lee Barfknecht as a guest and they speculated that with Nebraska coming out saying they aren't afraid to pay big money (specifically comments by Marc Boehm) Nebraska may get a lot of "interested" candidates who are doing so only to get pay raises/extensions at their current school (ala Houston Nutt). They noted Ben Howland (UCLA) may fall in this category and I would guess that Mike Davis (UAB) could as well.

While I can see your point, the NU might just get played here for more $$$$.......that may not be a bad thing.

Interest and speculation can be helpful for a program like NU BB, if they can get a "high profile" guy to at least deny some rumors, that's free marketing. Perhaps get a page one link on ESPN.

"Coach XZY denies rumors he's interested in the NU BB Head Coach opening"

Maybe give a coach an idea that it might be worth looking into the job at NU.

Last edited:

If you don't like who you are, then do something to change it.​

Not one of those coaches you listed had any national recognition when hired.

In fact, iirc, Bill Snyder was a secondary coach at Iowa when he left for KSU. So, thats all KSU could muster, was a secondary coach from Iowa. So, yes, KSU did in fact "remember who it was"

I think WE need to remember where we are right now. We are NOT a top 25 team today; so, we shouldn't expect to be competing for a national championship or even a big ten championship next year. We need to patiently build and improve a team. That doesn't mean we shouldn't spend the money to get a top coach; but, we do need to manage our own expectations.

As Bo would say; building this team into a perennial contender will be a process.

I think WE need to remember where we are right now. We are NOT a top 25 team today; so, we shouldn't expect to be competing for a national championship or even a big ten championship next year. We need to patiently build and improve a team. That doesn't mean we shouldn't spend the money to get a top coach; but, we do need to manage our own expectations.

As Bo would say; building this team into a perennial contender will be a process.

Manage, sure. Six years was more than enough.

Year one, I expect very little -- other than to see a team competing hard.

Year three and four -- I expect results as good or better than we've ever seen in Lincoln (the bar is very low).

As we all know -- no sport is easier to turn around faster than basketball.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back