• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New AAU Members: Miami, Notre Dame, and Arizona State

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Does this affect B1G expansion?

We all know Notre Dame makes sense on paper. Hurricanes intrigue me. If the B1G offered Miami + ND, we could get annual Catholic vs Convicts games.

ASU is a dark horse candidate, IMO. Everyone things the Four Corners schools will leave for the Big XII, but the Sun Devils now join Arizona, Utah, and Colorado in the AAU. ASU is part of the Phoenix metro, which has a massive B1G alumni fanbase. Plus, the Sun Devils have a hockey team, so who knows?

FWIW, the AAU basically did the same thing to Iowa State. The med research programs is with the Hawkeyes in Iowa City and ISU focuses more on Ag. and Engineering. Basically the same thing as, UN Med Center vs UNL, UNO, and UNK.

Syracuse also got booted, which tells me that the AAU is a big snobby club.

I’m talking out of my rear with no real insight, but I would think AAU status may be a tiebreaker at best if any further expansion occurs. The networks care not for academic snobbery.

I tend to agree.

Big Brand + Media Market + AAU = Highly attractive candidate school.

Notre Dame (Chicago, Upper Midwest) and Miami (Miami) fit these criteria to a T. ASU isn't as big a brand, but Phoenix + Academics is definitely worth a look.

Can you imagine a conference that covers LA, Phoenix, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland/Cincy/Columbus, all the way up to NYC, Baltimore, DC and South Florida? That's a recruitment juggernaut right there. Basically everywhere except Texas, because Tuck Fexas.

AAU status mainly reflects research support. Nebraska lost its status because the medical research was considered to be a different campus, and Ag research dollars are devalued. As noted above, this also affected some other schools who lost AAU membership.

The devaluing of agricultural research is the snobby thing. It implies that this is not important research. It’s not like we need to feed the world or anything. I thought that with the NIH focus on climate change, maybe agriculture research would get more respect. Not so far.

For Miami, this may matter. They don’t have an academic reputation to fit into Big 10 membership. But this helps a lot.

I’m getting less confident about forecasting Big 10 expansion. I think it will be a strange situation if Notre Dame never joins, but I’m not sure what to expect about the rump of the PAC 12 now.

Can you imagine a conference that covers LA, Phoenix, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland/Cincy/Columbus, all the way up to NYC, Baltimore, DC and South Florida? That's a recruitment juggernaut right there. Basically everywhere except Texas, because Tuck Fexas.

Fortunately, our head coach cares about recruiting Texas more than anywhere else.

AAU status mainly reflects research support. Nebraska lost its status because the medical research was considered to be a different campus, and Ag research dollars are devalued. As noted above, this also affected some other schools who lost AAU membership.

The devaluing of agricultural research is the snobby thing. It implies that this is not important research. It’s not like we need to feed the world or anything. I thought that with the NIH focus on climate change, maybe agriculture research would get more respect. Not so far.

For Miami, this may matter. They don’t have an academic reputation to fit into Big 10 membership. But this helps a lot.

I’m getting less confident about forecasting Big 10 expansion. I think it will be a strange situation if Notre Dame never joins, but I’m not sure what to expect about the rump of the PAC 12 now.

Miami has a pretty solid academic reputation. They'd rank 7th in the Big Ten (right in the middle) -- ahead of schools like Indiana and Penn State (and far ahead of UNL).

Miami has a pretty solid academic reputation. They'd rank 7th in the Big Ten (right in the middle) -- ahead of schools like Indiana and Penn State (and far ahead of UNL).
Academically you are right … but I also wonder about the private school aspect. Do public school leaders look at private schools differently? I know NW is in the B1G as a private school.

Athletically many schools utilize the walk-on program, maybe not to the extent NU does but still, Miami has very few players beyond to 85 level. Same with Notre Dame. Most kids don’t want to pay $50k per year to be a blocking dummy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back