• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska will explore a zone read package with Zack Darlington this spring

Great idea to have that option...it makes defenses prepare for more especially if it's run as often as possible. I believe AJ Bush would have been a better QB for the zone read but Zack is a tough kid he'd do a good job given the opportunity.

Great idea to have that option...it makes defenses prepare for more especially if it's run as often as possible.

Agreed with the idea of having this in the arsenal. if nothing else, the opponents have to spend some amount of practice time preparing for it, which gives them less time to practice against our primary offense. However, we need to have some variants of it, specifically some play-action.

Packages are fine unless they become predictable ala Callahan. Every time a "package" player would come on to the field for him I knew what they were going to run and I'm assuming opposing DC's did as well. Would be nice to see ZD conclude his career with some meaningful playing time and hopefully making an impact on offense.

Packages are fine unless they become predictable ala Callahan. Every time a "package" player would come on to the field for him I knew what they were going to run and I'm assuming opposing DC's did as well. Would be nice to see ZD conclude his career with some meaningful playing time and hopefully making an impact on offense.
I'm guessing they thought of that

Personally, I'd rather see a package for POB if he is the 2nd string QB. He can run the zone read too, and is a better passer so it would be more effective. And HE would benefit from getting into games with meaningful playing time.

Someone just now realized this? Where was this last year when we needed it?

I have to agree with this. Obviously putting this in for ZD now is meant to provide something that Tommy already was providing last year. But if ZD was actually good to go last year after all, I wish the staff had developed him more so he was a viable option when Tommy and Ryker were hurt.

So yeah, I feel like last year the staff got a little close to the edge of the road with the QB situation, or arguably went in the ditch and drove back out again. BUT, as I said on the recruiting board in the thread about the new walk-on QB, it looks like now the staff is all over their QB situation. And with the other moves lately it looks like they know how to be both pro-active and effective. So I'm moving on.

This is my concern. If Darlington is only in on zone read type plays, it's not really effective. I've seen other teams do similar things and feel like it's a wasted down. I think it would be much more effective if they have him do a few different things.

Eh, either way, I doubt it will be a significant or meaningful part of the offense.

But I think this does suggest that our staff doesn't believe that the other quarterbacks on the roster are a threat to run the ball.

It's only going to be effective if Darlington runs a series of offensive plays. He'll need to come off the bench and be part of the weekly preparation and game plan. Basically running a different offense. It's a brilliant idea I hope he can make it happen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back