• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Recruit Jakson Reetz does it ----------------AGAIN!

Goal-line

Varsity
10 Year Member
Reetz leads Norris over Westside in showdown of top-ranked teams
By Mike Patterson / World-Herald staff writer

Norris coach Jason Cullison had the guy he wanted at the plate in the seventh inning Tuesday night, and the usual thing happened.

Jakson Reetz delivered.

Reetz smacked a two-run single as Norris rallied for a 6-5 win over Omaha Westside. The game, played at Werner Park, was a matchup between the Class A No. 1 Warriors and the Class B No. 1 Titans.

Terrell Rose followed with a bunt that eluded third baseman Brock Nemecek for a scratch single, loading the bases. That brought up Reetz, a Nebraska recruit who has been projected as a possible late first-round selection in the upcoming major-league draft.

Reetz singled to left, scoring a pair and giving the Titans a 6-5 lead.

“That inning worked out well for us,” he said. “To come up with the bases loaded and nobody out, I was just hoping to get somebody in.”

Reetz, the Titans' catcher and closer, pitched the bottom of the seventh and struck out two — pitching around a leadoff single by Nielsen — to earn the save.

“Jakson is pretty clutch,” Cullison said. “He's just a great competitor.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/201404...over-westside-in-showdown-of-top-ranked-teams

In my 42 years of being involve in athletics, I have never seen a kid who simply competes like this kid. He is special.

Last edited:

Reetz just hit two home runs in one inning. The second one was a grand slam. Norris beat Omaha Central 19--3.

Last edited:
Michael Johnson led off the inning with a single, and Bryce Peterson followed with a potential double-play grounder. But shortstop Paul Romero was unable to field it cleanly, and the Titans had two on and nobody out.

So, this is where mj has been! Haven't heard too much from mj lately! ;)

How many HS play baseball in Nebraska now?

There are 55 high schools in Nebraska who have baseball programs, 26 class "A" and 29 class "B." There can be 20 players on a varsity team for District and State tournaments. Thus, using this as an optimum number of players per varsity squad, There are at least 1100 players who play varsity baseball in Nebraska. Many of these schools also have Junior Varsity teams. Consequently the number of actual high school players in the state of Nebraska is probably around 1500/1800 or more. (Just a rough guess)

http://nsaahome.org/calculate/baleaders.html

Last edited:

There are 55 high schools in Nebraska who have baseball programs, 26 class "A" and 29 class "B." There can be 20 players on a varsity team for District and State tournaments. Thus, using this as an optimum number of players per varsity squad, There are at least 1100 players who play varsity baseball in Nebraska. Many of these schools also have Junior Varsity teams. Consequently the number of actual high school players in the state of Nebraska is probably around 1500/1800 or more. (Just a rough guess)

http://nsaahome.org/calculate/baleaders.html

I believe that number goes up for Legion ball. Those school numbers are a little off, for instance, Concordia Lutheran, Brownell Talbot, and Christian Academy are combined to make one class B "school"...

I believe that number goes up for Legion ball. Those school numbers are a little off, for instance, Concordia Lutheran, Brownell Talbot, and Christian Academy are combined to make one class B "school"...
True! My list was taken from the NSAA site. Those are the competing high school teams.

Reetz had two hits, an RBI and scored a run in yesterdays win over Columbus. Norris Titans won the LHS invitational. The kid is a gamer.

Norris 14, Gretna 1, 5 inn.: Byron Hood had three RBIs and Jakson Reetz had two RBIs and two doubles in the Titans' rout. Both are NU recruits and will be a real plus for the Huskers!

Not to burst your bubble, but thumping Columbus and Gretna isn't exactly setting the world on fire. The Westside win was impressive, but hyping up wins over Columbus and Gretna is reaching big time.

Columbus has always been "batting average day" for Class A teams.

Not to burst your bubble, but thumping Columbus and Gretna isn't exactly setting the world on fire. The Westside win was impressive, but hyping up wins over Columbus and Gretna is reaching big time.

Columbus has always been "batting average day" for Class A teams.

"Thumping" anyone is not the topic of this thread. The topic centers around Reetz, (and to some extent Hood), who comes through for the team, in clutch performances, time after time. He does this in the majority of the games he has played in. He has an exceptional level of competitiveness that has not been seen on the baseball fields of Nebraska High School programs in a long time. I have been around athletes for many years, have coached many sports. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt there are not many like this kid. Both Hood and Reetz are headed for NU to play baseball. I, for one, look forward to watching these two contribute to the NU Baseball program. That is why I am excited and that is what fills my "bubble." If you don't see it that way, Oh Well!

Last year, Gretna was in the "B" state tournament and are 11-12 this current year. Columbus has a 16-7 record this year in class "A" and is ranked 8th by wild card points out of 26 teams in the class.

So, you are not "bursting my bubble." Sorry you missed the point of this thread.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back