• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska @ Purdue Game Thread (12/5/20)

I’d rather my QB has field awareness than anyone.
Hey, we all would prefer an all over perfect game, but we aren’t there, and it wasn’t just Martinez who made mistakes.

-The punt protect trio and punter made a serious mistake.
-On Bell’s TD we had 2 guys in good position, and both lost that battle.
-Mills, a guy who ran hard, let himself get forced out of bounds on a 3rd down late saving Purdue time or a timeout.

It happens, and all that needs cleaning up, but overall, those were the exceptions, not the norm.

Last edited:
I'm happiest that we didn't disappear in the second half, particularly on offense. We were still outscored 14-10; but, we did enough to hold on to the lead and win the game. Would have loved to see the offense make one more scoring drive in the fourth to seal the game; but, defense was very good. If offense would play well all four quarters, this team could be really good.

Hey, we all would prefer an all over perfect game, but we aren’t there, and it wasn’t just Martinez who made mistakes.

-Mills, a guy who ran hard, let himself get forced out of bounds on a 3rd down late saving Purdue time or a timeout.

It happens, and all that needs cleaning up, but overall, those were the exceptions, not the norm.
Purdue still had to use a TO there. He shouldn't have gone out of bounds but with the rules it didn't matter all that much.

I think the thing I am happiest about is the fact that in this game when we made a mistake we didn't all apart.

Just before half an ugly 3 and out, then a blocked punt. Yet the defense came in and we only gave up a field goal. We made up for our mistake.

We gave up the long pass when two defenders ran into each other. But at the end when we needed a pass break up, we got one of the best pass breakups you may see all year.

Some teams make mistakes and lose, some teams make up for mistakes and win, that's what we did today.

I am satisfied with a win. Are there things we still need to fix? YES!!! The last 5 minutes of the first half was a joke. Play calling and execution were again atrocious right when we could have really put them away. The qb play improved some today, there were still several instances of AM not being aggressive enough. We are just not tough. Watch some Scott Frost film and you will see a qb without the best arm but with a huge quantity of whatever it takes.
There were 47 pass attempts by Purdue and we had 3 sacks. Is that good? We didn't blitz much, I would think we could be more aggressive when we know they are going to pass so much. I was thrilled to see our DBs win their battles against quality wideouts. I'm still happy but with this talent 364 yards is not enough offensive production. Granted we had short fields in first half, but to me that means we should have won by 30. Again, we lost the second half and I am not sure the staff can figure this out. I am not as rosy as some beat writers I give the offense a C mostly because of the dismal 5.1 yards per play average, again where is our deep ball? The defense gets a B because of the secondary play. Special teams a B but we shouldn't have punt issues every week. Game management gets a C-. Frost and Horvick need to figure this out, in game adjustments, play calls at crucial times in the game is very suspect at times. Overall I take the win and give our beloved Big Red an overall B-.

Our colors are Scarlet and Cream. No black (loser) uniforms again EVER! :Biggrin:
Shuddup Already Pal. LOL..... I'll for 3v3r Dig the Alt Uni's, especially the Black ones..... Some supposed art scholar on here a few years ago, got so bent out of shape, yelling and screaming that black wasn't even a color and he literally came unglued when I then suggested that perhaps Black was an accents color..... LMAO!!!! Alternate Uni's folks..... I love 'em. ;)

Shuddup Already Pal. LOL..... I'll for 3v3r Dig the Alt Uni's, especially the Black ones..... Some supposed art scholar on here a few years ago, got so bent out of shape, yelling and screaming that black wasn't even a color and he literally came unglued when I then suggested that perhaps Black was an accents color..... LMAO!!!! Alternate Uni's folks..... I love 'em. ;)

I remember that. (The bold). :Biggrin:

Still; Scarlet and Cream, baby. Only Scarlet and Cream. :Rockon:

I am satisfied with a win. Are there things we still need to fix? YES!!! The last 5 minutes of the first half was a joke. Play calling and execution were again atrocious right when we could have really put them away. The qb play improved some today, there were still several instances of AM not being aggressive enough. We are just not tough. Watch some Scott Frost film and you will see a qb without the best arm but with a huge quantity of whatever it takes.
There were 47 pass attempts by Purdue and we had 3 sacks. Is that good? We didn't blitz much, I would think we could be more aggressive when we know they are going to pass so much. I was thrilled to see our DBs win their battles against quality wideouts. I'm still happy but with this talent 364 yards is not enough offensive production. Granted we had short fields in first half, but to me that means we should have won by 30. Again, we lost the second half and I am not sure the staff can figure this out. I am not as rosy as some beat writers I give the offense a C mostly because of the dismal 5.1 yards per play average, again where is our deep ball? The defense gets a B because of the secondary play. Special teams a B but we shouldn't have punt issues every week. Game management gets a C-. Frost and Horvick need to figure this out, in game adjustments, play calls at crucial times in the game is very suspect at times. Overall I take the win and give our beloved Big Red an overall B-.
RE: blitzing. NU doesn't seem to ever "get home" when they do blitz so that's a problem. But more importantly, in this game it might not have been all that wise. Purdue is a "get it out fast" passing offense that wants to get the ball in the hands of Moore and Bell and let them go to work. NU's goal was to keep everything in front of them and limit YAC. They did that. Rushing 4 and sometimes 3 guys for the most part was the right answer. Come with too many blitzes and watch them hit Rondale with a 4 yard pass that goes for 60 multiple times and NU probably loses. The defensive game plan was solid.

The only mistake I saw on the punt was the left shield allowing penetration to the inside, a huge no-no. He turned inside and punched and got blown up. Proper technique there is to step inside and take it in the chest. I tell my guys in the shield to take the shot head on, NEVER step backwards (pretend your heels are on a cliff) and push forward at the point of contact. Snap was good and the punters op time didn’t look slow. Just my observations.

The only mistake I saw on the punt was the left shield allowing penetration to the inside, a huge no-no. He turned inside and punched and got blown up. Proper technique there is to step inside and take it in the chest. I tell my guys in the shield to take the shot head on, NEVER step backwards (pretend your heels are on a cliff) and push forward at the point of contact. Snap was good and the punters op time didn’t look slow. Just my observations.
I deleted the recording, but what caught my eye was the trio seeing the speed that the defenders penetrated didn’t make impactful contact. My eyes said they didn’t account for how little the defenders were slowed at the LOS. The punt was being blocked, and they were looking for someone else to block, and no one was there, they all run past them.

I deleted the recording, but what caught my eye was the trio seeing the speed that the defenders penetrated didn’t make impactful contact. My eyes said they didn’t account for how little the defenders were slowed at the LOS. The punt was being blocked, and they were looking for someone else to block, and no one was there, they all run past them.

The defenders in the A gap are typically not slowed at the LOS. The shield concept is for the G/T/E’s to release to the outside getting across the faces of defenders in case they rush and not cover. This purposely leaves the A gaps open and the shield is there to soak up the rush. The shields first responsibility is to protect the two inside gaps of the trio. If someone is also rushing an outside shoulder they punch with their outside hand. Everything looked good save for the left shield that did not step to the inside to protect that gap head on.

EDIT: Found it:

go to the 3:10 mark The middle shield gets pushed back but not enough to matter, it’s the left shield #70. From that angle we should never see his backside. His first step is to the outside, I cannot imagine he was taught that. That forces him to punch inside which of course doesn’t work. That’s the defender that blocked the kick. If #70 had stepped inside and taken on the rush head on with his chest the punt does not get blocked. Being in the shield on a punt is hands down the least favorite position on any football team by the way. It’s brutal.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back