• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska Offensive Analysis - 2004 to Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
It's been a while since I posted anything mathematical, so I figured I was overdue.

Here's a breakdown of the offensive stats from 2004 - present. As you can see, the Callahan years were pass first as evidenced by our total yards and scores favoring the air instead of the ground.

A unique stat that I think bears weight however, is YDS/TD. This shows the average number of yards that we needed to score. Teams consistently under the 100 yard mark are typically working with short fields due to good field position or an offense that puts up a lot of scores.

By contrast, if you're averaging 125 yards per score, it means that for every 5 field lengths you run (500 yards), you're only getting 4 touchdowns.

OFF.png

2011 was Bo's second most successful season on offense, narrowing missing the 2008 season (which also had a terrible defense). Judging by the stats, Bo has things moving in the right direction and even a modest improvement on defense will probably win us 2 extra games a season even if the offense doesn't improve.

If Martinez has truly stepped up as a passer I think that the Huskers stand a chance at having the best offense in a decade or more. I'm expecting Abdullah to shoulder more of the load, but like Burkhead did for Helu as a sophomore. Here's to 2012!

How does it shred out in yards/pt? Over the last few years we've relied a lot on kicking. That mitigates somewhat the lack of touchdowns.

How does this compare to conf and NCAA top performers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back