• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska Market Targeting (Age)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerRedDread

Blackshirt
10 Year Member
Listening to 1620 and they read an email that talked about programs like LSU/Alabama etc...being "blue blood" programs that market to a younger generation. It mentioned that Nebraska markets more to the 40+ age group rather than the future graduates and/or recent graduates (those whom have graduated from high school within the last 10 years).

You see programs like Oregon, Oklahoma St, even Baylor, becoming as or more attractive to high school recruits simply because they look like a team created it's players & students rather than a team built to please it's mature fan base. Since I can't consider myself one of the "younger" guys anymore, I turned the radio up a bit to hear what the response of Sharp/Benning would be.

IMO, it does make sense. Of course, I know, winning takes care of most everything, but becoming more appealing to recruits should be apart of the recruiting, other than just stating that our history is great than that team over there.

Currently they are talking about what to do when the Adidas contract is up and if Nike would be a good brand for NU.

(Don't shoot the messenger, because I shoot back......but this is what's currently being discussed for those whom can tune in)

I have a feeling the ignorance of "Bolievers vs Boleavers" will spill onto this thread as it does most, but let's try not to get the thread locked. I would like to see what this board thinks of our branding and how appealing it is to each generation of fans.

Why market to 40 year olds who do not play when it comes to uniforms and gear? You should market those things to your recruits because those things influence their decisions. Under Armour and Nike understand the concept of look good, feel good; feel good, play good. Would you rather get a recruiting boost because of updated/alternate uniforms and gear or things that can get you in trouble with the NCAA?

To add to this, do you think teams that only had success recently, or have been bad for a while and then got good again (say like Oregon), have a more rowdy or vocal/energetic fan base? I bring it up because Oregon is one of the louder stadiums I've been to and it only holds like 60,000 people...

NU can definitely do a better job of target marketing the younger generation. Say what you will about some of Nike's uniforms, but count me in the group that hasn't been impressed with the two alternate uni's Adidas came up with for NU.

Last edited:
NU will market to where their money comes from, and that certainly isn't 20 somethings. Right, wrong, or indifferent, thats how things will remain.

NU will market to where their money comes from, and that certainly isn't 20 somethings. Right, wrong, or indifferent, thats how things will remain.

So you think those forty somethings who are dyed in the wool Husker fans will stop spending money on them if they market to a younger generation? I don't. The times have changed and in some respects the Huskers haven't changed with the times; that's why they're falling behind on the national scene.

So you think those forty somethings who are dyed in the wool Husker fans will stop spending money on them if they market to a younger generation? I don't. The times have changed and in some respects the Huskers haven't changed with the times; that's why they're falling behind on the national scene.
The BIG money doesn't come from 40 somethings. And you listen here, you young whipper-snapper, don't go standing in front of me and making all that noise during football games, as I'm trying to watch and clap politely!

To add to this, do you think teams that only had success recently, or have been bad for a while and then got good again (say like Oregon), have a more rowdy or vocal/energetic fan base? I bring it up because Oregon is one of the louder stadiums I've been to and it only holds like 60,000 people...

The loudness of sold out stadiums usually has more to do with the design of the stadiums. The Seahawks are a great example of that...there are loud fans everywhere, it's just that qwest field was designed to focus the noise.

The other thing though can be that Oregon has a younger fan base since they've only been good for a few years, whereas Nebraska was good for decades and you have the same folks in the stands that were there in the 70s.

I thought our alternative uniforms sucked. Not because I am old, but because they looked ugly. I like the da-glow uniforms that Oregon wears much better. Let's not go Maryland on the updates, but there are things that can be done to make the uniforms "pop"

The answer is in the original post. Win. It takes care of everything. How often does Alabama wear flashy alternate uniforms? Oklahoma? Southern Cal?

It's not the uniforms. It's about exposure, it's about positive press... and all of it comes with winning.

To be perfectly honest, if a recruit is swayed by a flashy uniform, that player has some strange priorities. We've done alternate uniforms each of the past two seasons, and I don't think it's made much difference from a national perspective, has it? I doubt you're going to go to Florida, Texas, California, Ohio, etc. and see high school kids sporting alternate jerseys of teams unless they already are interested in the school. It's something that kids probably think is fun, but it really shouldn't sway them one way or another.

The loudness of sold out stadiums usually has more to do with the design of the stadiums. The Seahawks are a great example of that...there are loud fans everywhere, it's just that qwest field was designed to focus the noise.

The other thing though can be that Oregon has a younger fan base since they've only been good for a few years, whereas Nebraska was good for decades and you have the same folks in the stands that were there in the 70s.

Memorial Stadium gets loud when there is something to get excited about. I couldn't hear myself think in the 4th quarter of the 2011 Ohio State game.

Why market to 40 year olds who do not play when it comes to uniforms and gear? You should market those things to your recruits because those things influence their decisions. Under Armour and Nike understand the concept of look good, feel good; feel good, play good. Would you rather get a recruiting boost because of updated/alternate uniforms and gear or things that can get you in trouble with the NCAA?

That makes the best sense, but you and I both no the resistance that most fans gave when it was first rumored that Nebraska may be taking the field in an alternate uni vs Wisconsin. Then the following year when it was mention that we were going to come out in "black". It seems as though the seasoned fans don't want "their" Nebraska to look any different from it did when they first found their love for it. Ignoring that a new generation may not want to look like a team of the 50s, 60s, 70s 80s...Hell, they see the 90s & 2000s as old school being that many were still peeing in the bed when we won our last national title.

The answer is in the original post. Win. It takes care of everything. How often does Alabama wear flashy alternate uniforms? Oklahoma? Southern Cal?

It's not the uniforms. It's about exposure, it's about positive press... and all of it comes with winning.

To be perfectly honest, if a recruit is swayed by a flashy uniform, that player has some strange priorities. We've done alternate uniforms each of the past two seasons, and I don't think it's made much difference from a national perspective, has it? I doubt you're going to go to Florida, Texas, California, Ohio, etc. and see high school kids sporting alternate jerseys of teams unless they already are interested in the school. It's something that kids probably think is fun, but it really shouldn't sway them one way or another.

Agree, it isn't a determining factor although it might make them notice a school that wasn't initially on their radar. But you certainly will have to sell more than a bunch of different jersey designs.

I also agree that we wouldn't want to have a recruit that put a lot of stock into how flashy the uniforms are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back