• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Making a Last "Minute" Push To Flip 5* QB Dylan Raiola

I never said he was thrust into anything, he started along with a new staff, apples to apples. His best year was his frosh year, that goes against what you're saying.
He had a slightly better two to one td to int ratio and his best completion pct in his frosh year.
Running the ball won't be an apples to apples comparison, and DR is not a fumble machine but AM did fumble a bit in HS, nothing severe.

What I am saying and will say it again, AMs first year, his best met or exceeded most peoples expectations. So why are we to expect less from DR who didn't get injured and played his entire season?
You do understand that his "best season" wasn't all that great, don't you? You're acting like he lit the world on fire while winning 4 games that season. He was good "as a freshman," but far from being where we needed him.

But here's the thing, at no time did I ever compare DR to AM. That was you. And it wasn't pertinent to the my original statement. But hey, bless your heart if you think DR will light the world on fire and won't experience a learning curve his freshman year. I won't lose sleep over your beliefs. But statistics and history are on my side as I try to temper my own expectations in year one. As Husker fans, we should have learned from the last 10 years that swilling the Kool-Aid isn't good for your health.

Last edited:

You do understand that his "best season" wasn't all that great, don't you? You're acting like he lit the world on fire while winning 4 games that season. He was good "as a freshman," but far from being where we needed him.

But here's the thing, at no time did I ever compare DR to AM. That was you. And it wasn't pertinent to the my original statement. But hey, bless your heart if you think DR will light the world on fire and won't experience a learning curve his freshman year. I won't lose sleep over your beliefs. But statistics and history are on my side as I try to temper expectations in year one. As Husker fans, we should have learned from the last 10 years that swilling the Kool-Aid isn't good for your health.
Now I am not saying he was thrust into how many games he won any year. Relative performance doesn't include wins though isn't separated from them exclusively otherwise no one would have known who Archie Manning was.
Yes, it was I who asked you to explain AM and his first year. What are we to expect? Better than AMs from DR? Is that bad?
Looking back at a similar scenario, AMs first year wasn't that bad either. We finished 52nd in passing and AM missed games due to running the ball, but still respectable, will DR be better? Top 40? Is that bad?
I'm trying to delineate what we should expect as well using AM as a marker to see what we may expect from DR.
Both frosh, both new staffs, advantage DR second year under MR and advantage DR in playing time and abilities.
AM did come with warts and all, and you could argue the team went down in ability after year one etc, but we aren't talking year two here, or less warts so to speak.
Look at his td to int ratio if you must later into his career, it isn't pretty, but again, frosh year surrounded by some talent, in my eyes more apples to apples with DR in comparison.
A casual expectation of warts and all, of course, but in comparison to what we've had lately, huge upgrade, and in the past, very promising warts and all.

I think what we found out was that AM had a pretty low ceiling in SF‘s system and that he hit it pretty early in his career here. My hope is that DR‘s ceiling is MUCH higher, and that he continues to rise to it throughout his time here. But I’m with 36 on this point: it would be foolish to expect to see DR as a finished product year one…

Martinez did not play his SR. year of High School due to injury which may have stunted some growth and also Frosty was going to play his new shiny recruit regardless in my opinion
Exactly, favorite (not good) and less experience and still did better than most as a frosh

Last edited:
I think what we found out was that AM had a pretty low ceiling in SF‘s system and that he hit it pretty early in his career here. My hope is that DR‘s ceiling is MUCH higher, and that he continues to rise to it throughout his time here. But I’m with 36 on this point: it would be foolish to expect to see DR as a finished product year one…
Finished product here? Don't draft him then. If that was the criteria I agree, but warts and all it still looks better than AM.

Thank you. That's all I tried to convey.

Raiola wasn’t as sharp today as he was yesterday but still had some wow throws. Put it this way, his best throws of the day, were the best throws of the day for anyone. We talked about his arm strength yesterday but he’s more about just trying to complete passes and throws with more touch than heat. No one has been more in demand this week than Raiola from a media standpoint and we heard he signed over 1,500 autographs on Monday. He threw a couple of balls left handed today and the joke was his throwing hand was probably sore from all the signatures. It will be fun to watch the future Husker in action on Friday and see what kind of plays he can make with his legs as well as his arm.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back