• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska Going Head-To-Head with Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

THIS^^^^^^^

You can't give a guy a job you don't have.

Oh please, you don’t have to be a very creative mind to get around that. NF2L came up with a scenario that would have worked. You would think Pelini could have found a way if he had wanted too.

Yeah, I'm just certain they can improve on two wins. Maybe they can even win four this year.

They do have an advantage -- right now, not forever -- in the bar being quite low. Stoops signed the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history in February -- and now he has some serious top notch talent interested for the 2014 class. I'm fairly certain none of the recent signees nor verbals for 2014 expect to compete right away for a national championship. They obviously know the program's mostly dismal history. So, it's just going to be about taking a couple steps forward... showing progress... something that should be done, if Stoops is legit ... to keep the interest of potential future talent.

Vanderbilt has at least as pathetic of a history as Kentucky. Yet Vandy did compete quite well last season. 5-3/9-4, a bowl win, and a top 25 ranking. And yes, they lost to the better teams they played -- but 3 of the 4 losses were by 14 points or fewer. In other words, it can be done. Not necessarily winning championships anytime soon -- but this kind of competitiveness is something that if Vandy can do it, Kentucky could also in a couple of years.

Last edited:

Exactly

They do have an advantage -- right now, not forever -- in the bar being quite low. Stoops signed the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history in February -- and now he has some serious top notch talent interested for the 2014 class. I'm fairly certain none of the recent signees nor verbals for 2014 expect to compete right away for a national championship. They obviously know the program's mostly dismal history. So, it's just going to be about taking a couple steps forward... showing progress... something that should be done, if Stoops is legit ... to keep the interest of potential future talent.

Vanderbilt has at least as pathetic of a history as Kentucky. Yet Vandy did compete quite well last season. 5-3/9-4, a bowl win, and a top 25 ranking. And yes, they lost to the better teams they played -- but 3 of the 4 losses were by 14 points or fewer. In other words, it can be done. Not necessarily winning championships anytime soon -- but this kind of competitiveness is something that if Vandy can do it, Kentucky could also in a couple of years.

Oh please, you don’t have to be a very creative mind to get around that. NF2L came up with a scenario that would have worked. You would think Pelini could have found a way if he had wanted too.

He probably could have found him a job, this season, but the timing was atrocious.

Yeah, well, it's been pretty well documented how Vandy came up with those nine wins; four conference victories over the worst eight teams in the conference, a win over Ole Miss (which barely managed a 6-6 mark overall) and four wins over crappy ooc competition. They didn't deserve a top 25 ranking and they play a tougher schedule this season.

Kentucky could manage to get up to four wins with the right schedule in conference, and the same sort of non-con schedule, I suppose, but they still aren't gonna win anything of note.

You're kidding yourself if you think they are. History works against this sort of thing ever happening. Not unless Stoops is another Bear Bryant.

Well said.

And we really can't blame Marrow (even though he's apparently made more than a few Husker fans hate him). He was put in this situation -- and he's making the most of it (by all counts, completely within the NCAA guidelines). And the Stoops name holds quite a bit of clout in the state of Ohio (even more than Pelini).

Kentucky has reason to be excited right now. Whether or not that will last, we'll have to see. But the new regime is doing everything possible to give the Cats a chance. It will be up to Stoops and staff to put a competitive team (not necessarily 8 or 9 wins, but competitive) on the field this season. Do that, and they may very well hold onto these verbals.

I dont think anyone hates marrow for leaving for the new job. People hate Marrow including me for taking the recruits and how he left. If he would have left with diginity like most coaches in the country do. I.e ekeler, marvin sanders and other assistant coaches who have left Nebraska under Bo.

Also how do you leave your son in the situation. There is obviously bad blood between bo and marrow and now your son has to stay there and deal with it. not saying bo is going to take it out on hiim or anything but bo can't be happy with vince marrow.

I also agree there should have been a position found for him. wasn't there like 4 or 5 recruits that vince got to verbal to nebraska. I think theres more to the story than we all know. didn't vince offer a kid and we had him commit once vince left we never heard of the kid again? i think antonie miles? i may be incorrect on the name.

also still ************ brayon left the team and now going to kentucky. would have been a 1a and 1b depth chart come fall. give braylon a full year at the position.

Last edited:

Not sure if I would say Sanders left with his dignity??

I dont think anyone hates marrow for leaving for the new job. People hate Marrow including me for taking the recruits and how he left. If he would have left with diginity like most coaches in the country do. I.e ekeler, marvin sanders and other assistant coaches who have left Nebraska under Bo.

Also how do you leave your son in the situation. There is obviously bad blood between bo and marrow and now your son has to stay there and deal with it. not saying bo is going to take it out on hiim or anything but bo can't be happy with vince marrow.

I also agree there should have been a position found for him. wasn't there like 4 or 5 recruits that vince got to verbal to nebraska. I think theres more to the story than we all know. didn't vince offer a kid and we had him commit once vince left we never heard of the kid again? i think antonie miles? i may be incorrect on the name.

also still ************ brayon left the team and now going to kentucky. would have been a 1a and 1b depth chart come fall. give braylon a full year at the position.

Well said.

And we really can't blame Marrow (even though he's apparently made more than a few Husker fans hate him). He was put in this situation -- and he's making the most of it (by all counts, completely within the NCAA guidelines). And the Stoops name holds quite a bit of clout in the state of Ohio (even more than Pelini).

Kentucky has reason to be excited right now. Whether or not that will last, we'll have to see. But the new regime is doing everything possible to give the Cats a chance. It will be up to Stoops and staff to put a competitive team (not necessarily 8 or 9 wins, but competitive) on the field this season. Do that, and they may very well hold onto these verbals.

Wow, I think it's reaching to claim bad blood between the two.

The offer he gave was not cleared through either Els or Pelini. It would have been honored if Marrow stayed though.

Ohio borders Kentucky so they are close to home. Vandy is a good example. Even ole Miss and Miss. St have good seasons every now and then. Kentucky used to be decent before.

Yeah, well, it's been pretty well documented how Vandy came up with those nine wins; four conference victories over the worst eight teams in the conference, a win over Ole Miss (which barely managed a 6-6 mark overall) and four wins over crappy ooc competition. They didn't deserve a top 25 ranking and they play a tougher schedule this season.

Kentucky could manage to get up to four wins with the right schedule in conference, and the same sort of non-con schedule, I suppose, but they still aren't gonna win anything of note.

You're kidding yourself if you think they are. History works against this sort of thing ever happening. Not unless Stoops is another Bear Bryant.
You can only play who is on your schedule. You sure do go out of your way to look foolish to put down the best conference....SEC. They have a great QB and was in the 4 losses. All teams get to 8-9 wins most of the time with weak OOC, including Nebraska.

Braylon was not going to be 1A or 1B on depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back