• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEBRASKA @CREIGHTON - TUES - 3/21/23 - 6:05 CT - CHAS. SCHWAAB FIELD

Two solid starters backed up by just an average relief group can win a 3 game series the way we are hitting.

Next couple of 3 game series are terribly important.

Hell, they are ALL important! LOL
I’d say two significantly above average starters and a significantly below average bull pen. I’m not sure there is a single reliable arm in the pen. At times they look respectable and the next time out it is all WPs and HBPs.

I’d say two significantly above average starters and a significantly below average bull pen. I’m not sure there is a single reliable arm in the pen. At times they look respectable and the next time out it is all WPs and HBPs.
There appears to be velocity and “stuff” among the staff, I might have expected more immediate and observable success with Childress around? Seem to be as fraught (fair or not) as they were under Silva. Maybe it’s just 18-19 year-olds on the big stage, fearing big bodies with big bats.

At times they look respectable and the next time out it is all WPs and HBPs.
Seems that way….

Maybe Walsh’s and Hawkin’s performance tonight is on to something good.

Brockett just blew up badly and young Sears was just not ready for the moment…at all.

If Bolt can find a solid Two game crew…then limp into the 3rd game with whatever…. They can actually do fine with the way we are hitting.

Funny how baseball always boils down…in the end…to pitching.

ONLY time I ever saw anything different was one year in HS we had below average pitching…slow as hell, not a lot of different pitches. But the kids could at least throw strikes. But MAN could that crew hit and play defense.

We won our district with games like 11-7 all the time.

But of course once we got deeper into Tournament play it didn’t last.

I might have expected more immediate and observable success with Childress around?
I think it’s just going to take more time…assemble long term results. We are so impatient nowadays.

But hell, I said that about Scott Frost….ouch!

Adding two big name California schools to BiG Baseball is going to be helpful….and interesting I think.

Will drag the conference UP!

This year we redid the roster offensively. Only 3 or 4 players in the lineup were consistent players last year.

Next year we’re looking like we’ll need a similar redoing of the pitching.

Hopefully some day we’ll have a full roster all at the same time again.

I really didn’t see pitching being such an issue this year. I’ve been impressed with the offensive turnover/turn around.

Second time I’ve watched Nebraska play this year. I was not impressed either time. Sloppy, sloppy baseball. I got told earlier in the season that my concerns I had about Bolt’s program were invalid because I didn’t watch them enough. Which I thought was fair to a degree. I’ve made it my goal to watch 10 games this year and follow them more closely to get a better handle on the program. I hope their play changes.

Here it is A-day later and I'm still upset....... but, not as much. :Bananalazy:
Me too Bob…that was a W we just pissed away..

Buuuut what are you gonna do?

All we can do is cheer and hope.

ALTHOUGH…..

I have bought a ticket to Lincoln and am personally going to teach Brice how to throw to second base from the SS position.

jk

I really didn’t see pitching being such an issue this year. I’ve been impressed with the offensive turnover/turn around.
This was my worry…pitching….

But I had it backwards.

I thought our relief would be…..Ok…

But we might have trouble finding some dependable starters.

shows you what I know.

Offensively we are MUCH improved.

Defensively …take away Brice and we are MUCH improved….LOL

But Brice is knocking the damn cover off the ball, so I’ll cut him some slack at this point.

Last edited:

I went to quite a few fall scrimmages and there was zero doubt pitching got the upper hand in a lot of them. And at times it was pure domination. Hardly any inconsistentcy and if there was it was like 1 (different) guy a week which I think we can all agree is common. I was super pumped for this pitching staff.

Last edited:

12 of our conference games are against Northwestern, Penn State, Minny and Purdue…

Not known as Baseball powerhouses.

Michigan, Illinois and Maryland kinda like us…nobody knows at this point. Michigan has played a pretty tough schedule but they have lost some doozies.

Iowa fairly solid…at least at this point.

That schedule sets us up to be a contender in the BiG if we straighten a couple things out.

We don’t play MSU, Indiana or Rutgers in The regular season.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back