• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska and NIL

So just curious how it works. Too lazy to look it up when all you awesome posters can do the dirty work for me. For example how much did DeColdest make at while attending DONU and not every playing a down????

I've heard Nebraska has a large NIL collective. I also know that there have been some entities that started in Nebraska to help college athletes navigate the NIL space and help coordinate deals. I don't know how it compares to other schools. The vibe I've gotten is that we aren't throwing NIL money at recruits like some schools are (questionable NCAA legality on that). Instead, once players are at Nebraska there are avenues and help to ink NIL deals.

There are specific players at other schools, see Bryce Young at Alabama, who have been able to ink national NIL deals. Nebraska hasn't been successful enough for someone like Dr. Pepper to want one of our players in an ad. That said, it does seem like there are a lot of opportunities within the state. Nebraska being "the show" in town offers up a lot more avenues for those deals locally/regionally.
I don't know, a Mexican bull fighting school may want to talk to some of our o-linemen ('ole). Or maybe a "wanna get away" Southwest airlines commercial for CT.

It’s amazing to me that every retail company in Nebraska hasn’t set up NIL. I look at the burrito and jerky people. Shoot it not only helps the school it lines your pockets. Even if I was a bricklayer I’d figure out how to set up NIL and say some money goes to players.

I actually was able to find some limited info. It really is the Wild West. Nebraska has an official NIL deal with Opendorse.com. Basically anyone can go there and purchase everything from an autograph to signing an endorsement deal. There’s also Athletic Branding & Marketing, which is a for-profit collective. It is ceasing operations next year and turning everything over to the 1890 Collective, run by Matt Davison. There’s also Big Red Collaborative, which connects athletes with non-profits (TeamMates mentoring program, Team Jack and Nebraska Greats Foundation) and is directed by Kris Brown. It also provides financial education for athletes (it’s required to participate). There are multiple other collectives, such as Pipeline Jerky and Lincoln NIL Collective.

Athletes still cannot sign with agents, so these organizations fill that role by serving as intermediaries. State laws can vary, but there is little barrier to starting a collective. They can be non-profit or for-profit. Even an individual can serve as the intermediary, as long as they’re careful to be an intermediary, and not an agent. I don’t how that would work in most cases, but a basketball player for the University of Denver, who cannot sign NIL deals because he’s an international player (student visa?), is acting as an intermediary for his teammates for free. He’s doing it for the experience.

The university does not appear to have any control, nor does it appear they are actively using it in recruiting. Some schools are doing that, but doing it under the radar because it is probably a violation of NCAA rules.

On3.com does valuations for players, even high school players. The legality of high school players accepting NIL deals is regulated on a state by state basis. For example, Nebraska allows it, Texas prohibits it. On3’s highest valued athlete is Bronny James, a high school basketball player from Cleveland, who is valued at $7.4 million. I have no clue how they arrive at valuations or how accurate they are.

Female athletes are benefiting much more than expected, in a variety of sports. Nicklin Hames is the 43rd ranked women’s athlete, and 22nd out of all NU athletes, at $52k.

Anyway, that’s what I found. There’s a fair chance some of it is wrong. I’m certain that it will change the landscape of amateur athletics in the US, both in obvious ways and in ways we never expected. Just as a thought experiment, imagine you’re an elite athlete from Texas. Are you going to stay, where you can’t ink a NIL deal? One athlete, Quinn Ewers, graduated a year early so he could enroll at Ohio State. He inked a $1.4 million deal. And imagine what happens in Texas high school athletics if they legalize it for high schoolers. It will be interesting to see where we are in 10 years.

SMU and the Pony Express are not amused :Rolf: Think of all the MiamI, SEC and SWC cheating over the years that pales in comparison to what is legal today. Even the schools that are bad at NIL put those old cheaters to shame.

I have the same questions. I know some people have said that eventually, the players will become employees of the University. I don't think that will ever happen for two reasons. First, public employee salaries are disclosed. Most power 5 colleges are public. Second, liability. As flawed as the current system might be I wouldn't change it if I were a University.

It’s amazing to me that every retail company in Nebraska hasn’t set up NIL. I look at the burrito and jerky people. Shoot it not only helps the school it lines your pockets. Even if I was a bricklayer I’d figure out how to set up NIL and say some money goes to players.
Ok, but are you really going to use the HVAC company endorsed by DeColdest Crawford? Why? WTH does that kid know about HVAC, all due respect to Mr. Crawford. I just doubt it moves the needle.

There was a study done by some grad student at some school, I forget the details but it had to do with plumbers that tried to game the yellow pages. You know, AAA Plumbing. Or A1 Plumbing. They found that those plumbers were on average more expensive and less competent than like, Gary's Plumbing. Fair or not I would see these endorsements similarly. I'm not buying more beef jerky because some kid tells me to. But that's just me.

Ok, but are you really going to use the HVAC company endorsed by DeColdest Crawford? Why? WTH does that kid know about HVAC, all due respect to Mr. Crawford. I just doubt it moves the needle.

There was a study done by some grad student at some school, I forget the details but it had to do with plumbers that tried to game the yellow pages. You know, AAA Plumbing. Or A1 Plumbing. They found that those plumbers were on average more expensive and less competent than like, Gary's Plumbing. Fair or not I would see these endorsements similarly. I'm not buying more beef jerky because some kid tells me to. But that's just me.

It’s about brand recognition. I would have never heard of Pipeline Jerky if not for their NIL deal. They are getting their moneys worth. As for the HVAC company, they hit the jackpot. They were talking about them on Sirius XM this afternoon after Crawford hit the transfer portal.

Besides the player name involved, some fans would favor a business who supports the program.

Let’s say I have a choice of picking a product cet par. One helps my team the other doesn’t. 90% of the time I’m buying the one that helps my team.

Let’s say I have a choice of picking a product cet par. One helps my team the other doesn’t. 90% of the time I’m buying the one that helps my team.
That’s an interesting perspective and one I had not considered. Around here, unless you’re the starting QB at USC nobody is going to know who you are. It probably moves the needle a lot more in a place like Nebraska. GBR!

Reactions: Yep

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back