• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEB vs PITT - Final Four (Semi-Final) Thursday - 12/14/23 - 6 pm Ctrl - Amalie Arena - Tampa, Fla

Here were the stats at the time of voting:
Madi Skinner:
4.79 kps (.298)
0.36 saps (38 aces, 48 errors)
1.95 dps
0.66 bps
5.81 points per set

Sarah Franklin:
4.19 kps (.305)
0.19 saps (28 aces, 38 errors)
1.94 dps
0.53 bps
4.91 points per set

Merritt Beason:
3.86 kps (.293)
0.25 saps (29 aces, 55 errors)
2.09 dps
0.86 bps
4.97 points per set

Hard to argue with Franklin — Skinner and Beason also deserving.
Franklin was awful in serve recieve against Texas. Beason has been consistent all year. I would make the point Smrek was more valuable than Franklin except she gets rotated out too much in the 6/2 Wisky used. We had a hard time getting side outs when Smrek was in the rotation.

Not sure this has been posted:

This is an excerpt from the url above!

Merritt Beason, a junior opposite hitter who transferred to NU from Florida, was named a first-team AVCA All-American and the AVCA Region Player of the Year, as well as All-Big Ten First Team and All-Region Team. Beason has stepped in as a team captain and is contributing a team-leading 3.83 kills per set this season with 2.07 digs per set and a .287 hitting percentage. A native of Gardendale, Ala., Beason earned four Big Ten Player of the Week honors this season and was the AVCA National Player of the Week on Oct. 24 following 21 kills in a 3-2 win over then-No. 1 Wisconsin. Beason had a career-high 27 kills on .426 hitting in a 3-2 reverse sweep at then-No. 16 Penn State on Nov. 3. As a sophomore at Florida in 2022, Beason was an All-SEC and AVCA All-Region selection.

I'm just saying! ;)

Last edited:

Franklin was awful in serve recieve against Texas. Beason has been consistent all year. I would make the point Smrek was more valuable than Franklin except she gets rotated out too much in the 6/2 Wisky used. We had a hard time getting side outs when Smrek was in the rotation.
We sure agree about Smerek, compared to Franklin. I still say, it was: "I feel sorry for you" award for Franklin. Again, worthy of Comeback Player of the Year award, period.

Last edited:
Hoping the board doesn't crash, like it did for a while, the other day!! That was weird. We must have had a record amount of people checking us out! Pay up, tightwads!! ;)

I truly don't understand why Wisc coach plays Franklin in all 6 rotations. Other than providing a back-row attack option she is not a quality back row defender. Through the year I've watched a multitude of matches of many college programs and she stands out as an overall deficiency in the back row. If she advances to the pro' level she will be eaten alive in the back row.

I truly don't understand why Wisc coach plays Franklin in all 6 rotations. Other than providing a back-row attack option she is not a quality back row defender. Through the year I've watched a multitude of matches of many college programs and she stands out as an overall deficiency in the back row. If she advances to the pro' level she will be eaten alive in the back row.
Beason much better all around player!!

Time will tell, if someone offers her a contract.

Yes indeed, Beason is a more polished all-around player. She performs notably well at all 6 positions.
I think, B10 politics did her in. Hey, we already had "too many of our players" get awards, right? Let's throw a bone to wisky!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back