• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NCAA Regional Sites Announced

-- I thought Creighton got one of the better matchups of the Top 8 seeds. The Jays were destined to face one of the Top 8 as they had a losing record, and I think UCLA is one of the beatable ones. They could've been sent to Gainsville, Tallahasee, Baton Rouge, or Columbia.

I see UCLA as a very strong team......#1 RPI and finished the season on fire (11-1 in final 12). In fact, of all the teams you mention, I believe UCLA actually is the best offensive team.....which I'm not sure Creighton really wants, even though they put up quite a few runs in the MVC tournament.

-- Michigan State got a gift by being included. I think the NCAA wanted to include another Northern team, and it was Sparty. Two other teams left out had just as strong resumes (Texas and Wichita State), but both of those went 0-2 in their conference tourneys.

I think you could make an argument for several teams that didn't get in, but I'm not sure that Texas and Wichita State are necessarily that high on that list....and I really don't think Michigan State was one of the last teams in (stealing a spot) either. The committee definitely made a statement that they wanted to reward Northern teams that played a lot of games on the road (basically said this on espn during one of the CCG's this weekend) vs mediocre teams that play 2/3 of their games at home......and at this point in the process, all the teams are pretty mediocre.

The OWH agrees:

Creighton's assignment in the NCAA baseball tournament might be more difficult had the national No. 2 seed went to LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas or Baylor. Instead, it went to UCLA, and the Bruins will pose a mighty challenge on the field when Creighton faces them in a first-round regional game Friday at 9 p.m. CDT. Still, the Bluejays know it's not as daunting as it could have been had the NCAA shipped them to Box Stadium in Baton Rouge or Baum Stadium in Fayetteville.
“It could have been a lot worse for us,'' Creighton first baseman Nick Judkins said.
That's because UCLA's Jackie Robinson Stadium seats 1,820. The fans who will fill those seats might not bring the same degree of passion to the park as the beer-and-barbecue crowds that Creighton might have encountered if it were playing at Texas A&M, Louisiana State or Arkansas.
“I'm sure their fans get excited, but it's not going to be like having to play at a place where the crowd is really hostile,'' Creighton coach Ed Servais said. “We've played at some of those places, and it's tough to play there.
“We knew taking the road that we took that we were going to get matched up against a high-powered club. It doesn't surprise me we drew the No. 2 seed. It certainly won't be easy this week, but it wasn't easy last week.''

I think WSU should've gotten in before MSU:

RPI: MSU 45
WSU 43

SOS: MSU 76
WSU 35

vs Top 50 WSU 6-8
MSU 3-6

vs Top 100 WSU 17-18
MSU 13-12

Conference RPI: MVC 5th Overall (2 at large bids, 3 teams total)
Big Ten 11th Overall (1 at large bid, 2 teams total)

C-USA ended up the 6th best league, and had 3 at large bids, 4 teams total

Wichita State finished 3rd in the 5th best conference. Michigan State finished 5th in the 11th best conference.

Two factors came into play: WSU went 0-2 in the tourney, and MSU went on the road and won more games.

Last edited:
I just did a quick check of UCLA's lineup they used against USC, and 7 of the 10 bats were from the left side (2 rights, 1 switch).

Creightons starter, Ty Blach (leftie), is lethal against left batters. I like this match up more and more...

The OWH agrees:

Fair enough. If you are looking at it from an atmosphere standpoint, I agree LSU, Florida, A&M would have been more difficult/intimidating....But as far as quality of team, I think UCLA is as good as there is this year and I'm not sure Creighton matches up that well with them......From a match-up only stand point, I think South Carolina may have been the best. But either way, I don't see Creighton matching up well with any of those teams

WSU 43

WSU 35

vs Top 50 WSU 6-8
MSU 3-6

vs Top 100 WSU 17-18
MSU 13-12

Wichita State finished 3rd in the 5th best conference. Michigan State finished 5th in the 11th best conference.

Two factors came into play: WSU went 0-2 in the tourney, and MSU went on the road and won more games.

So that would make WSU 11-10 vs RPI 51-100 and MSU 10-6 vs RPI 51-100

In road/neutral site games

WSU:11-11/0-3
MSU:16-8/6-6

Again, the committee said it wanted to reward teams that go on the road this season. MSU played 36 games away from home this year. I really believe that was a big factor in getting MSU in, when otherwise there really isn't that much difference between the teams resumes IMO.

Kallander addressed the Texas situation as well as a number of others on a conference call following the announcement of the bracket. Unlike what some of his predecessors have experienced in the past, Kallander's session with reporters was relatively free of conflict.
Perhaps the most pressing question was the inclusion of Michigan State in the field and the exclusion of Wake Forest. Michigan State had a 37-21 record and an RPI of 45 while playing in the relatively weak Big Ten, while Wake Forest went 33-24, had a No. 38 RPI and a strength of schedule ranking of 16th while playing in the Atlantic Coast, ranked first among conferences in the RPI.
The Demon Deacons' downfall? They finished 13-17 in the ACC regular season.
“Wake Forest is a team I was looking at all year long,'' said Kallander, commissioner of the Big South Conference. “They had a good season, but in looking at their conference regular-season record, we just couldn't get over 13-17.”

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Michigan State might have finished fifth in the Big Ten, but Kallander said the Spartans were ranked second by the regional advisory committee that provides input to the Division I committee.
“They were behind Purdue in their region,'' Kallander said. “We took that plus the fact that they had a very good nonconference strength of schedule and had some success into strong consideration.''
The committee also left out Utah Valley State, which led Division I with 47 wins. Utah Valley State plays in the Great West, which does not get an automatic berth in the field.
“To win 47 games and go undefeated against a conference schedule, regardless of how weak it is, is certainly impressive,'' Kallander said. “It came down to nonconference competition and nonconference schedule strength, and we just didn't feel we could put them in.”
Kallander said the selection of Florida as the tournament's overall No. 1 seed was hardly a slam dunk, but the Gators' overall body of work, which included a 21-10 record against ranked teams, earned them the spot.
Four schools received strong consideration for the No. 8 national seed, which ultimately was awarded to South Carolina, the two-time defending national champion.
The national seeds are assured of playing at home through regional and super regional competition.
The committee did provide a potential intriguing matchup for the Gamecocks as it placed intrastate rival Clemson in the Columbia regional. The two bitter rivals have not faced each other in regional play since the tournament was expanded in 1999.
“We understand the atmosphere there in that area,'' Kallander said. “It came down to geography. One of our primary guidelines as we put this together is to be fiscally responsible. That weighed heavier than other factors.''

I think Wake Forest has the biggest grief. Read between the lines in Kallander's comments, and they wanted to take a Northern (ie Big 10) team. The excuses he makes for taking MSU over Wake are weak. Losing confererence record, as opposed to going 5 deep in the Big 10, that sounds like bs to me.

Also, since when are selections regionlized??? They did away with that YEARS ago!!!

More here:

http://www.omaha.com/article/201205...-late-tumble-texas-is-left-outside-looking-in

I think Wake Forest has the biggest grief. Read between the lines in Kallander's comments, and they wanted to take a Northern (ie Big 10) team. The excuses he makes for taking MSU over Wake are weak. Losing confererence record, as opposed to going 5 deep in the Big 10, that sounds like bs to me.

Also, since when are selections regionlized??? They did away with that YEARS ago!!!

More here:

http://www.omaha.com/article/201205...-late-tumble-texas-is-left-outside-looking-in

Agree, and you could probably add Virgina Tech close behind, but what probably killed them was not making the ACC tourny....other than the ACC record, another pretty strong resume IMO

Last edited:

PALO ALTO REGIONAL
June 1-4 | Stanford, Calif.

Sunken Diamond

Friday, June 1
Game 1: No. 3 Michigan State (37-21) vs. No. 2 Pepperdine (34-21)
Game 2: No. 4 Fresno State (30-26) vs. No. 1 Stanford (38-16)

Regional winner faces winner of Tallahassee Regional

Man, they must be desperate for teams!! :puke:

WSU 43

WSU 35

vs Top 50 WSU 6-8
MSU 3-6

vs Top 100 WSU 17-18
MSU 13-12

Not to nitpick Cheese, but the B1G is the #10 ranked RPI Conf. + I would think that this would help the Conf. with some exsposure that might get some other players looking at these schools. Do I think MSU deserved to be there....no, but one can only hope this helps the Conf. Instead of always being down on the B1G in baseball, lets look at this as a good thing!

A toasty 106 degrees today for the Tucson regional. Don't miss that place one bit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back