• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nate Clouse talks recruiting on USC (11/27/12)--New OL Recruit & other new news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some for sure....but not all....and you will see the same this year....I guarantee it...and I can think of two off the top of my head.....

How many could we have sealed the deal on if we won a conference title or a BCS game in that same timeframe?

It's a fact they don't. The entitled fan crowd and the astronomers that were very prevalent in the Callahan abyss just see recruiting as a 1 + 1 = 2 formula.

hire a "great recruiter" + 4-5* guys knock down your doors = all wins

you can hire all the recruiters you want, but you have to actually have coaches after that

You can sign all the 4* guys you can, but if they aren't the right mix of position, talent, desire, and character...it becomes a mess. The more 4-5* coddled/pampered players you have on the team, the more you start seeing a 'lazy' attitude if the culture isn't one of hard work and accountability. The Callahan Country Club mentality was poison and directly resulted in the '07 collapse.

I see comments all the time about 'the staff doesn't recruit hard enough', ' they need to push for commits more', etc.. The other big comment I see is "well, we're Nebraska, why aren't we getting these 4-5* players? There's no reason..."

There is a reason. MOST of the very talented players are half a continent away to the SE, S, or W. Any average college-bound 18 year old kid from CA or FL is pretty unlikely to look at colleges 1000-1500 miles away in the middle of a cold, windy cornfield as their first choice. That's first and foremost before we even talk football. Then, can my folks go to my games? Can i see my friends/girlfriend on weekends when the season is done? Then, who's Nebraska? No average kid knows about 60-3 or 50 years of sellouts. Most Florida or CA kids don't grow up watching Big12/Big10 football. They have to get interested, then educated, then visit, THEN convinced, in most cases. It's a huge barrier of mileage, profile, culture and familiarity to overcome. Watching BRWU this week, Gladney was interviewed. His quote "I didn't know anything about Nebraska." Marrow and Pelini's "one hour away" Youngstown roots became his 'proximity' and the visit sealed him.

the biggest thing that can boost our recruiting is a breakthrough season that gets us back in the national conversation. A month of ESPN stories in January after a Rose Bowl win before signing day. Sitting in the top 10 undefeated with a Heisman candidate in November. You are in that conversation, kids will take notice.

That, or pushing Lincoln to somewhere with 10M population within a couple hundred miles...

FLAS, I agree with what you're saying here. But I am not seeing a lot in the way of proof that people don't understand the inherent disadvantage NU runs into with it's geography. I understand you get a little frustrated with people on here that don't think this staff is recruiting as well as it should (I really have not idea to be honest), but that doesn't mean they don't understand it's not more difficult at NU than other places. I guess I see it like this, a great recruiter will get better talent in Lincoln than an average recruiter will. That doesn't mean they won't face the same difficulties as everyone else that has recruited to NU. JMHO. Personally I thought last years class looked good, and this years is looking good with a chance to be great, on paper of course.

Read some of the posts in this forum over the last year....

I've seen people who think the recruiting could be better, but I don't think that automatically means they don't think location doesn't play an issue. At any rate, you and FLAS spend more time over here than me so I will just move along home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back